Does anyone here *not* count calories, measure, watch portions, or use exchanges.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

except me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

r u saying that u dont do any of these things ......... ever?
#3 Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

r u saying that u dont do any of these things ......... ever?

Sometimes I count my protein intake, but other than that, no. I used to count every single calorie I ate though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

thats awsome how did you break free from that?
#5 Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thats awsome how did you break free from that?

I gained some weight and realized the world didn't end. I ate some meals without counting and logging and realized I didn't balloon immediately afterwards or even the next few days afterwards. I realized that it takes many, many days to change one's weight, in any form, and that eating a slice of cake one day isn't going to put twenty pounds on me overnight. And mainly, I think life just took over. Food isn't that important in my life anymore - it's just a nice thing that is vital for living.
#6 Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

thats fantastic thanks for that it inspire me for im struggling rite now
#7 Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thats fantastic thanks for that it inspire me for im struggling rite now

*hugs* I'm sorry you are struggling. I believe that it absolutely will get better for you. There are so many wonderful things in life; it is just a waste to concentrate mainly on food and weight and calories.
#8 Old 03-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Well done for breaking out of that blue, I hope that I can one day. And just eat what I want, when I want to, and in the amount that satisfys me, no more, no less.

Congratualtions, that is inspiring.

peace

pirate x
#9 Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

specialK12, can you please try and type your words out in full? Other people here make the effort to. You can even download a spell check from right here at VB!

To the OP:- I don't. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. If I crave a particular food I just go out and eat it. I only measure when I'm making a new recipe, or perhaps making up a dish (such as a soufflé) that might require exact proportions of ingredients for it to turn out right.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 03-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't count calories or do "exchanges" (I don't even know what that is), anymore. I used to, and used to weigh my food with a scale.

Life now is...WAY easier. Hahah. Getting over that was a huge milestone for me, and since then my relationship with food has improved very significantly. I still do have struggles with trying to gain weight, but it sure is easier when I listen to my body instead of a measuring cup.
#11 Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't. I eat what I'm hungry for when I'm hungry for it, and stop eating when I'm full. Works pretty good for me.

That said, I do try to use good judgement and keep healthy foods in the house. But I think that is different than what you're asking.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been known to occasionally count protein intake as well as omega 3s, but I've never counted calories. I generally don't go by measuring, just try to eat a balanced diet and follow my appetite.
#13 Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't.
#14 Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 AM

I definitely don't. I just make sure I eat a small meal every few hours, so I don't get stupidly hungry and overeat. I also like to make sure I've had a good amount of fruit, veggies and protein each day.

If I started counting what I ate, I think I'd become obsessed with it. And I want to enjoy my good food, not have anxiety over it.
#15 Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Even when I am trying to manage my weight, I do not count or measure. I know which sorts of foods I need to be eating to accomplish my goal, and then I just eat those types of foods in moderation. I don't have to measure anything to know when I'm overindulging.
#16 Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I've tracked my day on fitday like 6 times in the past few years.

Other than that, no.
#17 Old 03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't either. I try to eat healthy foods, but I don't count calories, or anything else for that matter.
#18 Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't. i just eat when hungry, eat what i want when hungry.
#19 Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't do any of that stuff. I do pay attention to labels and try to avoid anything with excessive amounts of sodium and sugar. I try to eat balanced meals and not overload on the "bad stuff". I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

However, I do think that those of us who are ABLE to stop when we're full are extremely lucky. I understand that weight issues arise because simply stopping when one is full is not that easy for some people.

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Right now I'm trying to get into the habit of stopping when I'm full and not stopping when I'm stuffed but I don't do any counting, etc. That is more for the health of my digestive system (I've had many problems with heart burn) than for weight, I could go 5 lbs either way and still be happy.

I've always been in the habit of eating what I want when I want. I just try to keep healthy food around and if I start wanting oreos all day every day I'll try to limit sugar for a bit and get that craving back in check.
#21 Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to measure portion sizes for a few days when I was ready too lose weight, just so I could have a better idea for things like how big a quarter cup of nuts is.

I had to do that to be able to see healthy portions because I had been eating massive portions for way too long.

Now I don't count anything, but I had to first learn portion control to shrink my stomach. Now I can eat till I'm full and be good with that. 3 years ago, I couldn't.

I still do count up how many servings of things like fruits and veggies and protein I have every couple of days, just so I can make mental notes if I'm not eating enough fruit or something.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#22 Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

I don't count calories, but I glance at nutritional facts just so I know what NOT to put in my body. I obsess over ingredients. Ever since Dr. Oz on Oprah said not to eat certain ingredients, I have been reading every single ingredient. He said to stay away from Enriched flour, hydrogenated oils, sugar and corn syrup.

I used to count calories and it's a very sad life. Counting calories is what led me to obsessing over food.

I know now what I can and cannot eat. I know what a proper portion is for me. I do it for health, not for weight control. I don't have a problem with my weight, I just eat when I'm nearing hunger. Right now, I'm snacking on my favorite food in the world: Pita Chips with Cinnamon and Sugar from Trader Joe's!
#23 Old 03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat a mostly whole foods vegan diet and try to eat reasonable portions, but I've never counted a calorie in my life or weighed my portions or anything. Whenever I hear about someone counting calories it sounds like my version of hell.
#24 Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'd rather be pleasingly plump, myself.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#25 Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't, because I can't stand doing it. I do want to lose weight, but keeping track of my calorie intake drives me nuts.
#26 Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM

I don't count anything. Period. I just make sure I get enough fruits, veggies, and fiber. Life is way more than what you eat.
#27 Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I still count calories for the most part (except most raw veggies and fruit), but am not measuring so much as eyeballing. I can eyeball a measurement pretty close. I imagine I may start slipping in my measurements and I will want to double check in a while to make sure I am measuring correctly. It is worth it for me to be conscious of this as weight loss is important for me over the next 12 months, and being on such a radical new diet (compared to my old SAD diet) I also had to be sure I was eating right by counting and measuring to start off.
#28 Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I read Beyond Chocolate and listen to Paul McKenna CD's on intuitive eating.
#29 Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Beginner

I used to count calories when I wanted to lose weight, but it just made me think about food all the time which ended up me eating all the time. Yeah, didn't work. I just eat when I want, but I make it healthy.
#30 Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't count calories etc., and didn't when I lost my weight, either. My problem was more of an emotional eating thing, and figuring THAT out was the key to losing the weight. Now I just ask myself if I'm eating because I'm tired (or sad, or angry, or frustrated, etc.), or because I really am hungry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page