VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Diets & Losing Weight (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/)
-   -   Does anyone here *not* count calories, measure, watch portions, or use exchanges.... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/63750-does-anyone-here-not-count-calories-measure-watch-portions-use-exchanges.html)

bluewisdom 03-27-2007 12:29 AM

except me?

specialK12 03-27-2007 12:36 AM

r u saying that u dont do any of these things ......... ever?

bluewisdom 03-27-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

r u saying that u dont do any of these things ......... ever?

Sometimes I count my protein intake, but other than that, no. I used to count every single calorie I ate though.

specialK12 03-27-2007 12:47 AM

thats awsome how did you break free from that?

bluewisdom 03-27-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

thats awsome how did you break free from that?

I gained some weight and realized the world didn't end. I ate some meals without counting and logging and realized I didn't balloon immediately afterwards or even the next few days afterwards. I realized that it takes many, many days to change one's weight, in any form, and that eating a slice of cake one day isn't going to put twenty pounds on me overnight. And mainly, I think life just took over. Food isn't that important in my life anymore - it's just a nice thing that is vital for living.

specialK12 03-27-2007 01:01 AM

thats fantastic thanks for that it inspire me for im struggling rite now

bluewisdom 03-27-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

thats fantastic thanks for that it inspire me for im struggling rite now

*hugs* I'm sorry you are struggling. I believe that it absolutely will get better for you. There are so many wonderful things in life; it is just a waste to concentrate mainly on food and weight and calories.

piratemoon 03-27-2007 01:26 AM

Well done for breaking out of that blue, I hope that I can one day. And just eat what I want, when I want to, and in the amount that satisfys me, no more, no less.

Congratualtions, that is inspiring.

peace

pirate x

Kiz 03-27-2007 03:10 AM

specialK12, can you please try and type your words out in full? Other people here make the effort to. You can even download a spell check from right here at VB!

To the OP:- I don't. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. If I crave a particular food I just go out and eat it. I only measure when I'm making a new recipe, or perhaps making up a dish (such as a soufflé) that might require exact proportions of ingredients for it to turn out right.

misspickle 03-27-2007 04:31 AM

I don't count calories or do "exchanges" (I don't even know what that is), anymore. I used to, and used to weigh my food with a scale.

Life now is...WAY easier. Hahah. Getting over that was a huge milestone for me, and since then my relationship with food has improved very significantly. I still do have struggles with trying to gain weight, but it sure is easier when I listen to my body instead of a measuring cup.

rabid_child 03-27-2007 05:23 AM

I don't. I eat what I'm hungry for when I'm hungry for it, and stop eating when I'm full. Works pretty good for me.

That said, I do try to use good judgement and keep healthy foods in the house. But I think that is different than what you're asking.

mazikeen 03-27-2007 05:43 AM

I've been known to occasionally count protein intake as well as omega 3s, but I've never counted calories. I generally don't go by measuring, just try to eat a balanced diet and follow my appetite.

Cissy 03-27-2007 07:09 AM

I don't.

Hyper Tomatoes 03-27-2007 07:23 AM

I definitely don't. I just make sure I eat a small meal every few hours, so I don't get stupidly hungry and overeat. I also like to make sure I've had a good amount of fruit, veggies and protein each day.

If I started counting what I ate, I think I'd become obsessed with it. And I want to enjoy my good food, not have anxiety over it.

Seusomon 03-27-2007 07:40 AM

Even when I am trying to manage my weight, I do not count or measure. I know which sorts of foods I need to be eating to accomplish my goal, and then I just eat those types of foods in moderation. I don't have to measure anything to know when I'm overindulging.

isowish 03-27-2007 08:55 AM

I've tracked my day on fitday like 6 times in the past few years.

Other than that, no.

Melanie 03-27-2007 08:58 AM

I don't either. I try to eat healthy foods, but I don't count calories, or anything else for that matter.

zoebird 03-27-2007 09:39 AM

i don't. i just eat when hungry, eat what i want when hungry.

Amy SF 03-28-2007 12:03 AM

I don't do any of that stuff. I do pay attention to labels and try to avoid anything with excessive amounts of sodium and sugar. I try to eat balanced meals and not overload on the "bad stuff". I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

However, I do think that those of us who are ABLE to stop when we're full are extremely lucky. I understand that weight issues arise because simply stopping when one is full is not that easy for some people.

thebelovedtree 03-28-2007 08:09 AM

Right now I'm trying to get into the habit of stopping when I'm full and not stopping when I'm stuffed but I don't do any counting, etc. That is more for the health of my digestive system (I've had many problems with heart burn) than for weight, I could go 5 lbs either way and still be happy.

I've always been in the habit of eating what I want when I want. I just try to keep healthy food around and if I start wanting oreos all day every day I'll try to limit sugar for a bit and get that craving back in check.

synergy 03-28-2007 12:25 PM

I had to measure portion sizes for a few days when I was ready too lose weight, just so I could have a better idea for things like how big a quarter cup of nuts is.

I had to do that to be able to see healthy portions because I had been eating massive portions for way too long.

Now I don't count anything, but I had to first learn portion control to shrink my stomach. Now I can eat till I'm full and be good with that. 3 years ago, I couldn't.

I still do count up how many servings of things like fruits and veggies and protein I have every couple of days, just so I can make mental notes if I'm not eating enough fruit or something.

danakscully64 03-28-2007 01:28 PM

I don't count calories, but I glance at nutritional facts just so I know what NOT to put in my body. I obsess over ingredients. Ever since Dr. Oz on Oprah said not to eat certain ingredients, I have been reading every single ingredient. He said to stay away from Enriched flour, hydrogenated oils, sugar and corn syrup.

I used to count calories and it's a very sad life. Counting calories is what led me to obsessing over food.

I know now what I can and cannot eat. I know what a proper portion is for me. I do it for health, not for weight control. I don't have a problem with my weight, I just eat when I'm nearing hunger. Right now, I'm snacking on my favorite food in the world: Pita Chips with Cinnamon and Sugar from Trader Joe's!

eggplant 03-28-2007 03:41 PM

I eat a mostly whole foods vegan diet and try to eat reasonable portions, but I've never counted a calorie in my life or weighed my portions or anything. Whenever I hear about someone counting calories it sounds like my version of hell.

Kiz 03-28-2007 03:50 PM

I'd rather be pleasingly plump, myself.

Elena99 03-28-2007 04:11 PM

I don't, because I can't stand doing it. I do want to lose weight, but keeping track of my calorie intake drives me nuts.

GhostUser 03-28-2007 05:00 PM

I don't count anything. Period. I just make sure I get enough fruits, veggies, and fiber. Life is way more than what you eat.

BlindLemonPep'r 03-28-2007 07:00 PM

I still count calories for the most part (except most raw veggies and fruit), but am not measuring so much as eyeballing. I can eyeball a measurement pretty close. I imagine I may start slipping in my measurements and I will want to double check in a while to make sure I am measuring correctly. It is worth it for me to be conscious of this as weight loss is important for me over the next 12 months, and being on such a radical new diet (compared to my old SAD diet) I also had to be sure I was eating right by counting and measuring to start off.

theatregirl 03-29-2007 10:40 AM

I read Beyond Chocolate and listen to Paul McKenna CD's on intuitive eating.

MyrtleXeiba 03-30-2007 06:17 AM

I used to count calories when I wanted to lose weight, but it just made me think about food all the time which ended up me eating all the time. Yeah, didn't work. I just eat when I want, but I make it healthy.

cftwo 03-30-2007 12:10 PM

I don't count calories etc., and didn't when I lost my weight, either. My problem was more of an emotional eating thing, and figuring THAT out was the key to losing the weight. Now I just ask myself if I'm eating because I'm tired (or sad, or angry, or frustrated, etc.), or because I really am hungry.