Does anyone here *not* count calories, measure, watch portions, or use exchanges.... - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
I wish I didnt count calories. I wish I never started. I read about "calorie restriction" and reducing your calories so I started to count and reduce which lead me to obsess which lead me into a full blown eating disorder which has lead me to becoming physically/mentally messed up. I am trying to get over it (with a support team dr/therapist/nutritionist) and get back to just eating like normal. Life was sooo much better then.
fadeaway1289 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Newbie
 
PsychoCola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
I think the developed world would be better off without Nutrition Facts. It makes me sick how everyone thinks "low-calorie" and "healthy" are synonyms.
PsychoCola is offline  
#33 Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCola View Post

I think the developed world would be better off without Nutrition Facts. It makes me sick how everyone thinks "low-calorie" and "healthy" are synonyms.



EXACTLY! Raw nuts and avocados are some of the healthiest foods you can eat, and yet people avoid them like the plague because they are high calorie. But they'll gobble up refined carbs like rice cakes because they are low-calorie. It's insane. Low calorie does NOT equal nutritious.
bluewisdom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular
 
murry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 244
agreed. i used to be weird and obsessive about food and the thing that helped me get normal was looking at food for what it is. like, i'm going to have a bowl of cereal for breakfast instead of icanhaveexactly1.5cupsofthatlowfatcerealandexactly 1cupofsoymilknomorenosugarcereal blah blah blah. it's just a bowl of cereal.



and anyways, things like numbers are so..irrelvant and insignificant. for all we know, the nutrional facts on the box could be wrong, someone could have made a typo on the calories, who'd ever know because ITS JUST A NUMBER.
murry is offline  
#35 Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I think so many people who count calories obsessively do it because they know they're not exercising the way they should (not all, just many). When I became a vegetarian, I just started losing weight without trying. When I hit 116, I hit a plateau and wanted to keep losing weight. Because of my work and school schedule, I put off working out and just became obsessed with that was put into my body. I went down to 112 without ever working out, but I did it an unhealthy way. I ended up going back to 116 anyway when I started eating normal. I'm back down to 112, but it was the combination of kickboxing class, better eating habits, and working out a few times a week.



I think if everyone exercises regularly and uses common sense when they eat, everyone will be healthy Working as a waitress... you wouldn't believe how little common sense people have. 3 cherry cokes, french fries, a bacon cheeseburger, and 4 sides of ranch are not a balanced meal. Ewww
danakscully64 is offline  
#36 Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I think so many people who count calories obsessively do it because they know they're not exercising the way they should (not all, just many). When I became a vegetarian, I just started losing weight without trying. When I hit 116, I hit a plateau and wanted to keep losing weight. Because of my work and school schedule, I put off working out and just became obsessed with that was put into my body. I went down to 112 without ever working out, but I did it an unhealthy way. I ended up going back to 116 anyway when I started eating normal. I'm back down to 112, but it was the combination of kickboxing class, better eating habits, and working out a few times a week.



I think if everyone exercises regularly and uses common sense when they eat, everyone will be healthy Working as a waitress... you wouldn't believe how little common sense people have. 3 cherry cokes, french fries, a bacon cheeseburger, and 4 sides of ranch are not a balanced meal. Ewww



I feel that it is not good to make assumptions - how do you know the person ordering three cokes, french fries, a bacon cheeseburger, and ranch dressing isn't going to voluntarily puke it up later at home? Or exercise excessively and burn it off? Or fast for a week afterwards? Etc.



Also, I think a lot of people exercise properly, some even excessively, and still count calories. A lot of vegans here count calories and exercise a lot.



Counting calories is (a false sense of) security. It is like wearing a monitor that tells you "STOP EATING NOW!! NOT ONE MORE CRUMB OR YOU'LL GAIN 0.000000002 OUNCE." It makes you completely paranoid, but you can't stop, because you quickly become addicted to the false sense of security. Not to be cliche, but it also gives one a sense of control. Another thing is that it blocks everything out..if you focus the world down to numbers and measurements and sizes and scales, the world is easier to handle. Nothing else matters, just the food/weight/calories/numbers. It lessens anxiety. It is a coping method, just like drug addiction or alcohol abuse. And no, it does not work long-term, as you eventually have to stop and recover or DIE. But it definitely works short-term.
bluewisdom is offline  
#37 Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewisdom View Post

I feel that it is not good to make assumptions - how do you know the person ordering three cokes, french fries, a bacon cheeseburger, and ranch dressing isn't going to voluntarily puke it up later at home? Or exercise excessively and burn it off? Or fast for a week afterwards? Etc.



Also, I think a lot of people exercise properly, some even excessively, and still count calories. A lot of vegans here count calories and exercise a lot.



Counting calories is (a false sense of) security. It is like wearing a monitor that tells you "STOP EATING NOW!! NOT ONE MORE CRUMB OR YOU'LL GAIN 0.000000002 OUNCE." It makes you completely paranoid, but you can't stop, because you quickly become addicted to the false sense of security. Not to be cliche, but it also gives one a sense of control. Another thing is that it blocks everything out..if you focus the world down to numbers and measurements and sizes and scales, the world is easier to handle. Nothing else matters, just the food/weight/calories/numbers. It lessens anxiety. It is a coping method, just like drug addiction or alcohol abuse. And no, it does not work long-term, as you eventually have to stop and recover or DIE. But it definitely works short-term.



I didn't say the people who ordered that food were thin. They almost never are. They are almost always overweight. Almost every single one of my customers is overweight. People eat like pigs when they come to my restaurant (and judging by their size, they do it often). These are the same people who have obese children. I did a survey for my health class and that's the conclusion I came up with. Most people said that when they try to lose weight, they don't really exercise, just watch what they eat. It's definately good to have a good diet and exercise. My Mom is an example of this... I haven't seen her once exercise and I've been alive for almost 21 years. She's obsessed over food... she doesn't eat much at all. She has a poor diet but since she eats so little, she's thin.



I definately think counting calories can be destructive. I completely agree with what you said. It's so easy to get into the counting calorie routine. At my job, my coworkers know how calorie obsessed I am (more used to be, not so much now). If they have a question on how many calories are in something, they ask me. I'm almost always within 50 calories of the guess. I have almost the entire restaurant nutritional facts memorized (and our menu is huge). If I forgot, I can calculate with the ingredients and make a good guess. My whole family thinks I should be a nutritionist, but that would just feed my obsession more.
danakscully64 is offline  
#38 Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
stargirl23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 96
Not anymore. I am doing "intuitive eating" which is what many on here already do: eating when I'm hungry, stopping when I'm full and not deprving myself (but mainly making healthy choices overall). There is a book about it that changed my life.
stargirl23 is offline  
#39 Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I don't count calories, but I also don't eat what I want everyday. If I had my choice I would get a burger, chili fries, and a shake everyday for lunch from VG Burgers. But I know I would be 300 pounds in no time, so I usually have a burger and salad, or soup and salad, or burger and soup. I try to avoid any soft drinks as well.



I also will eat less and mostly raw a few days before or after a big potluck or holiday where I tend to overeat.
GhostUser is offline  
#40 Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,112
I never worried about it till i hit 30. The age and lack of movement due to school caused me to put on pounds. These days i forgo pasta, breads, dessert when I can must the will power. Actually counting calories is a bit too much work. i can do it for 2 or 3 days and then i forget about it.
gaya is offline  
#41 Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Ok, I'm starting to monitor my eating habits again... I blame this thread! No, i'm kidding. My 21st birthday is next month and I want to be in great shape for it. I ate everything in sight yesterday, but that wasn't my fault, it's the damn hormones!
danakscully64 is offline  
#42 Old 04-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean that they don't have an eating disorder. ED-NOS, binge eating disorder, and compulsive over-eating are JUST as bad as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. An overweight person CAN go home and purge their food through throwing up, over-exercising, or fasting for days afterwards. The reason they are still overweight, then? Because purging doesn't get rid of all of the calories, and/or they could be in a severe binge/purge/restrict/repeat cycle.



Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I didn't say the people who ordered that food were thin. They almost never are. They are almost always overweight. Almost every single one of my customers is overweight. People eat like pigs when they come to my restaurant (and judging by their size, they do it often). These are the same people who have obese children. I did a survey for my health class and that's the conclusion I came up with. Most people said that when they try to lose weight, they don't really exercise, just watch what they eat. It's definately good to have a good diet and exercise. My Mom is an example of this... I haven't seen her once exercise and I've been alive for almost 21 years. She's obsessed over food... she doesn't eat much at all. She has a poor diet but since she eats so little, she's thin.



I definately think counting calories can be destructive. I completely agree with what you said. It's so easy to get into the counting calorie routine. At my job, my coworkers know how calorie obsessed I am (more used to be, not so much now). If they have a question on how many calories are in something, they ask me. I'm almost always within 50 calories of the guess. I have almost the entire restaurant nutritional facts memorized (and our menu is huge). If I forgot, I can calculate with the ingredients and make a good guess. My whole family thinks I should be a nutritionist, but that would just feed my obsession more.

bluewisdom is offline  
#43 Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I have the same with counting calories, when i was 14, i was very obsessed and got skinny (i was 88 pounds with 5" 4'), and I still know many products by heart. Then i started binging and well, i still struggle with this 'i cannot eat normal'. I've been okay for a week or so, with no counting and 'weeks of being okay' repeat sometimes.
GhostUser is offline  
#44 Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewisdom View Post

Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean that they don't have an eating disorder. ED-NOS, binge eating disorder, and compulsive over-eating are JUST as bad as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. An overweight person CAN go home and purge their food through throwing up, over-exercising, or fasting for days afterwards. The reason they are still overweight, then? Because purging doesn't get rid of all of the calories, and/or they could be in a severe binge/purge/restrict/repeat cycle.



I know that, but I promise you, these people don't. I doubt that out of the 200+ people I serve everyday, more than 150 have an eating disorder. Most (I say most because more than 63% of Americans are overweight) just have poor diets, period.
danakscully64 is offline  
#45 Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Beginner
 
Meka2829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 180
I have never counted calories in my life. I do try to get foods that are low in calories because i'm trying to be healthy and loss some weight. I measure certain foods (like if I have canned fruit, or rice), but if it's veggies, I just throw them mugs on my plate. LOL.
Meka2829 is offline  
#46 Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
I don't. Some people probably look at me and think I should. I've done the binge-purge routine many times throughout the years - hopefully it's long gone... Finally, I successfully lost weight (because I genuinely needed to) just by making sure my diet was varied, healthy, full of whole and totally unrefined foods (I did eliminate most sugars) and I exercised a bit more than I normally do.



I have slacked off on all of the above due to my work schedule, stress and time constraints but in the back of my mind I do know it's possible.



As someone said - it's just numbers. The package could be labelled wrong, the serving could be measured incorrectly, the ingredients might be different than those used for the calculations... I'd make myself crazy if I tried to do that.
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#47 Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I think you're perfect the way you are Tofu-N-Sprouts As long as you're eating healthy and exercising, you're good It's all about health and how you feel, not about how you look.



No matter what I do, I know I'll always have a slight obsession with my weight. It's not the medias fault, its the fault of clothing designers! All of the cute clothes I want to wear normally don't fit right (not because of my size, but because I have boobs... who ever thought these were a bad thing?). My ideal weight doesn't fall into the "skinny" range, but instead in the "fit and buff" range. I want people to fear me! No, I'm kidding.
danakscully64 is offline  
#48 Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I don't, and, being a recovered anorexic, am very happy about this!



However, combined with high metabolism from being 17 and the fact that dance is my favorite activity and I dance 2-3 hours every day, I stay very thin no matter what I eat. However, I always keep a few extra pounds on my tummy that never come off, even when I do daily ab exercises. It's a genetic thing; my grandma, my dad, and both my uncles on my dad's side of the family are all thin with extra weight on the belly.
GhostUser is offline  
#49 Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
turistattraksjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 270
I don't do that anymore. After years struggling with anorexia, I finally won the battle. Even though I am fat now.



Care.



I am free.
turistattraksjo is offline  
#50 Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
specialK12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 461
turis.............. i very much dought that you are FAT , you may have put on weight but i dont think you are FAt as you say.
specialK12 is offline  
#51 Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
turistattraksjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 270
Well, maybe not littaraly FAT, but close. Especially when you're not used to waying any more than 90 lbs.

But I'm okay with it anyways. I don't make it reflect over at my eating, and have been ED free for allmost a year.
turistattraksjo is offline  
#52 Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Beginner
 
LeguMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 167
I'm trying to put an end on counting too... I've been obsessed by dieting for so long that I can eyeball the caloric content of any meal! Isn't that sad?



Now I'm trying to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full and satisfy any cravings I might have. I haven't put any significant weight so I guess it's working!
LeguMan is offline  
#53 Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bluewisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

I'm trying to put an end on counting too... I've been obsessed by dieting for so long that I can eyeball the caloric content of any meal! Isn't that sad?



Now I'm trying to eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full and satisfy any cravings I might have. I haven't put any significant weight so I guess it's working!



I can do that too. It is very hard to tell that mental calculator to shut up, but it is possible..just block it out, eat, enjoy, move on to other things.
bluewisdom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off