Weight-Loss when switching from omni to veg? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm new here and excited to be exploring vegetarianism. I took the PETA 30 day pledge.....I'm on day 8. Really focusing on eating healthily: legumes, veggies, fruits primarily, with a small amount of dairy/eggs (not daily) and grains. This is a big change from the awful meat based diet I was eating.

I read John Robbins book last summer and was really inspired.....but didn't pull it together (though briefly tried a raw diet-----too big a transition all at once!). Then I recently saw "Fast Food Nation" which made it impossible to close my eyes to all the abuses. Plus, I'm very interested in the health aspects of vegetarian diet.

Onto my question......did any of you lose weight naturally by changing your diet to vegetarian? (Without trying to lose weight, counting calories, etc) Especially if you are in your forties or above? Did you notice changes in your skin? Energy level? General health? Sleep patterns?

Thanks!

Metta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

No, I didn't notice any changes at all when I went vegan in '96. This isn't a surprise, since it is possible to duplicate the nutritional profile of a carnie diet while being a veggie (a fact that the meat and dairy industries would prefer not be widely known...) In fact, I got fat on a vegan diet (maxed out at age 42, a few years ago), primarily because I like to eat. After losing 30 pounds in 2004, there was a world of difference, all for the good. If I was a carnie and also lost 30 pounds, I suspect that the improvements I noticed would still be there (much lower blood pressure, higher energy level, less sleep, etc...)

I really don't think that we want to claim a bunch of short-term health benefits for a veg*n diet. This justs sets new veggies up for disappointment and subsequent return to a cruelty-based, disease-promoting standard diet.

Welcome aboard!
#3 Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Weight loss is all about calories in v. calories expended. You should eat the same amount of calories daily as a vegetarian as you did as an omni. However, when transitioning to a vegetarian diet, sometimes people don't realize how much more food you need to equal the same amount of calories. Veggies and fruits are lower calorie than meat and you need to eat a lot more of them to fill up.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM

I didn't see any weight loss, but I definitely felt better.

My problem was that I had been on the super meat-heavy Atkins prior to making the change, so I think that going on the veg diet may have simply balanced things out.
#5 Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I definitely lost weight initially, mostly because I didn't research enough before starting so I was eating a lot less, not really knowing what I could and couldn't eat, and more so when switching from veggie to vegan. But I gained it back (and then some)
#6 Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I definitely lost weight initially, mostly because I didn't research enough before starting so I was eating a lot less, not really knowing what I could and couldn't eat, and more so when switching from veggie to vegan. But I gained it back (and then some)

When I decided to become a vegatarian weight loss was a definite factor and at first I finally reached my goal weight but it was more because I was exercising 24/7. Like you mentioned, I've gained back quite a bit now and it's funny but I guess it's cause sometimes it's easy to go overboard on the carbs and hard to find time to actually make something wholesome and not just eat some premade stuff that probably has little nutritional value. I do feel a lot more healthy in general though.
#7 Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 AM

I actually gained weight during the inital switch, not a ton of weight like 10 lbs or so. When I first made the switch I was eating a heavy diet of carbs and cheese. I like taste, and had to get re-acquainted with all the veggies that my mom made me eat when I was a kid that I wasnt used to eating, so as I was doing that most of my diet was coming from mexican food that I love with included refried beans, lots of cheese and lots of rice. Or Subway subs with extra cheese and that huge loaf of bread, and I was addicted to the Panera bread portabello mushroom sandwichs are loaded with fat and sodium. I dont think I could eat a meal with out some sort of cheese product, all my salads had extra bleu cheese or cheddar cheese, but Im going on about 5 months now, and Ive cut out a lot of carbs and most all cheese that I was using for supplying the "taste" that I was familiar with while I was getting back together with my old veggie friends. Now Im working out more cause I feel better and am really not losing that much weight, but Im losing a lot of fat.
#8 Old 05-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

When I went veggie I lost twelve pounds over 8 months and I am now not overweight. I believe its because I ate a lot of greasy foods before and when I stopped eating a bunch of bacon and eggs for breakfast and switched to fruits, veggies, and stuff I ate less calories. Like this morning I had peanutbutter, whole wheat tortilla, and soymilk. I'll probably have a salad, fruit, soy yogurt, and another veggie or beans at lunch. My dinners are healthier too.
#9 Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Beginner

We have been vegetarians for a little over two months; and my husband has definately lost weight. Many people have commented on it. He is just dying to know exactly how much (we don't have a scale) but he goes to the doctor next month so we'll know then.
#10 Old 05-05-2007, 04:20 PM

I lost an initial 10 lbs when I switched a little over a year ago. I have gained a little bit of it back due to better knowledge of what I can eat but I definitely did see a change
#11 Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually gained weight when I first became a vegetarian. It was gradual - about 5 or so pounds the first year (I was vegan then). However, when I slipped and became a vegetarian (not vegan - I went to Chicago and ate pizza for the first time in 2 years and eating cheese put me on a 2 year cheese binge, lol) I gained about 10 more. I was underweight when I went vegan, so I think I gained initially because I was eating all 3 meals since I was focused on eating enough. The rest of the weight gain was my own fault, you cannot live on cheese alone! I am now trying to go back to eating a vegan diet to get rid of the cheese weight. It is a myth that all vegetarians are slim, though I do think that most vegans are. It is easy to be a lazy vegetarian, especially when your life/job is busy and stressful. You tend to not cook as much and eat more junk. You still need to watch what you eat, unfortunately!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page