eating disorders - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 AM

I've been struggling with eating disorder. It first started off with anorexia and now im bulimic. I became bulimic around the same time I became a vegetarian. No other reasons than simple ethical reasons for animals. and i now just dont eat healthy. It's like i lost my sense of how to eat normal. I've gained so much weight. I crave carbs like crazy, and Im 99% sure I'm not getting enough protein. I love being a vegetarian, but I'm just munching/binging on bread and cereal now. When I try to eat healthy, I'll binge on the healthy stuff. I really want to recover but the whole bread/cereal thing is so hard for me because it seems like I have nothing else to eat. It also seems really hard for me to get enough protein and stuff without meat with minimum calories. Bleh, that was my ED talking. anyway how to stop eating so much bread!?!? and I need to know how to eat healthy... No matter how I eat I feel like I'm missing something in my diet.!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

could you give a example of what you eat........ i too have anorexia , and i do overeat on healthy foods(vegetables) , beans,tofu,daily and nuts are just a few foods with ample protein and not to mention good ol veg such as broccoli have a fair amount too ........... do you see anyone about this?
#3 Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM

I usually eat A LOT of bread (or cereal) when I'm in binge mode. I cannot resist bread for some reason... urghhhh. Even when I'm restricting, it's usually like..bread.. I try to eat as healthy as I can, my bread is always like whole wheat with all kinds of diff grains and stuff. I just want these bread cravings to go away!!

no, i dont see anyone about it, i just see no way of getting help. I live with parents who will not understand, and who i can never tell...

Hopefully self recovery is possible? lol I dont even think I'm ready though, I just want to stay healthy as much as i can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

well , you should look mabey at planning some meals with carbs, protein, and some fat......... you have to have fat it will help keep the hunger pains at bay, also mabey look into talking to someone who might be able to help you............ do you binge because you are hungry??? or are you more board, depressed ect??
#5 Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Beginner

[QUOTE=specialK12]well , you should look mabey at planning some meals with carbs, protein, and some fat.........QUOTE]

Please do not meal plan. its really really bad for people with eating disorders. I know your eating is haphazard but meal planning is really bad.

As it makes you focus on food and not your underlying problem. b

You need professional help to address the issues underlying your eating disorder and what is driving it. Until you do that nothing will change. I've been on this road for almost twenty years and am trying to get through to the other side. I can tell you that you can switch to another/different/better/worse/healthier diet but it will not make the slightest bit of difference in the long run until you address what is going on inside.

Please address your problem urgently and seek professional help.
#6 Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I really hope you can learn to deal with this. It is too hard to cope with on your own, so it is important that you talk to a professional. Is there a particular reason you can't tell your parents - trust me, I thought I never could, and when I told my parents that I might be anorexic they were the most fantastic people about it.

Keep posting here for support, but do try to get help, please.

pirate x
#7 Old 04-12-2007, 04:03 PM

I think I now exactly how you feel.

It's strange that I am about in the exact same predicament as you. I've had eating disorder problems for about the last 6-7 months (and body image problems since before that). I am a vegetarian for the animals, but I am not going to lie when I say that being a vegetarian does help keep an ED a secret.

Anyways, about the last 3-4 months I've been going CRAZY on carbs and sweets. Like, seriously. Cereal is also a big thing for me. I eat like 4 bowls in one setting. Thats when I started throwing up. I couldn't handle eating all of that crap and keeping it in me. (For example, today I ate 2 1/2 twinkies already, UGH.)

But, yeah, I know what you mean when you say your parents won't understand. I know tons of people say that their parents don't understand them, but I can honestly say that my mom DOES NOT understand me at all.

I basically flat out told her that I had eating problems. I told her that it would kill me to be over 100 pounds and all that jazz. So, then, you might ask, why am I still here, under 100 pounds, with a full-blown ED? Well, I'm not exactly going to complain, but I don't have an answer for you.

Supposedly, we do not have enough money to put me in one of those 'anorexic houses'. Also, I think my mom is embarrassed of me. If I STRONGLY hint to her that I might need to talk to a counselor or something I'm automatically ungrateful and a spoiled brat. Oh, thats because I have a PERFECT life and I should just be a happy little Barbie doll. Ugh, give me a break.

Haha. Anyways, that was my rant about my mother. Now, I'll give you some advice.

Obviously I couldn't talk to my mom about anything. Or, if I did she just blew it off. So, I did the next best thing; I talked to the school counselor. Well, actually I didn't technically talk to him, I /emailed/ him. I didn't tell him who I was, I didn't tell him anything about me. I just basically told him that I thought I could be in trouble and just need someone to talk to. It has worked wonders these past couple of weeks. I mean, I didn't feel like I was being overwhelmed by everything anymore.

But, yeah, just believe me. It is a TON less uncomfortable when you've talked to him for a while than to just be forced to go in there and explain yourself. And yeah, we've talked, kind of. I haven't really talked to him in person about everything, yet. He's not pushing my though. I'm sure they won't. When I need to talk someone will be there for me. Maybe not my parent's this time. But, at least I'm not alone. (that sounded like a cheesey movie).

Anyways, just do something like that. Be anonymous. Don't make yourself feel trapped just because you don't think you have someone to talk to. Someone will always be there for you.

Good luck.

PS: Sorry for writing a whole novel, there.
#8 Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

are you seeing anyone for help?

and the absolute best way to not binge is to not restrict. Restricting causes you to go into hunger mode, and you usually end up binging on what you need to eat (carbs fat). That's easier said than done though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page