Someone Please Respond!-Doing Interview for Health Class - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 PM

I am suppose to interview a vegetarian for my health class. I don't know anyone personally to interview so I was hoping someone would respond here by Saturday.

Here are the questions:

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself?

2. How is a vegetarian diet nutritionally balanced?

3. What are your main concerns when menu planning?

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?).

5. What are the health advantages, as you see it, to being a vegetarian?

6. What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet?

Some questions on my own...

How long have you been a vegetarian?

What made you decide to become one?

(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian?

You can add anything else if you would like.

I would really appreciate it if someone, or a few people really, would respond to my post. Thank you.

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Lacto-ovo vegetarian.

By eating a well-rounded variety of whole foods, the same as a non-vegetarian diet.

Refrigeration, if I'll have a table to eat on, whether I'll need the large or the small lunch bag, and how much time something takes to prepare. I try to eat a variety of whole foods, and I don't stress out about one day's menu not having the ideal variety.

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?).

I don't take any nutritional supplements. Some vegans take a B-12 supplement because a truly vegan diet contains no B-12.

Being true to myself will always be better for my health than forcing myself to do things I despise. A healthy vegetarian diet is just that: healthy. That doesn't mean a person can't be healthy on a non-vegetarian diet or a person can't be unhealthy as a vegetarian. Living off cheese pizza and ice cream isn't good for anyone.

Vegan or vegetarian? Vegan is a sub-set of vegetarian. Disadvantages are mainly social. It's an adjustment period for the body, certainly, and it can be inconvenient. People don't always understand.

7. How long have you been a vegetarian?

Seven years.

8. What made you decide to become one?

I began researching conditions in factory farms and decided even on a good day, it wasn't what I wanted to support.

9.(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian?

I am not married and do not have kids, but I will tell you one of my sisters is a vegetarian. She's in it for the animals, as well. My mom tried vegetarianism for a few months for health reasons. My other three sisters and my dad are not vegetarians, nor have they ever been. My cousin is a cheese-pizza-and-french-fries vegetarian. No one else in my extended family are vegetarians.

Vegetarianism became a lot easier when I moved out on my own, though my mom was fairly accomodating.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post

I am suppose to interview a vegetarian for my health class. I don't know anyone personally to interview so I was hoping someone would respond here by Saturday.

Here are the questions:

Strict vegetarian.

A vegetarian diet is no more balanced or unbalanced than a non-vegetarian diet, per se, it depends on how the person in question tackles it. A vegetarian diet can be extremely healthful, or very unbalanced

Taste first, budget second. I like to freeze meals too, and have a large chest freezer.

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why?

No. I eat an adequete, varied diet.

It brings a great attention to diet, how one eats, where the food comes from, how it is prepared, what one's nutritional needs are and how these nutrients can be obtained.

It can be annoying to eat out. Constantly explaining what a vegan is, what is vegan and isn't vegan in food choices.

19 years of so I'd guess.

That is a complex question. I'd say spirituality and morality as well as ethics.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here are the questions:

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself? Vegan

2. How is a vegetarian diet nutritionally balanced? By eating a variety of healthy plant-based foods.3. What are your main concerns when menu planning? Ingredients

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?). B12 since there are few 100% reliable plant sources of B12

5. What are the health advantages, as you see it, to being a vegetarian? More fiber, less bad fats, less bad proteins

6. What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet? That nearly everyone I know is against veganism and animal rights in general, especially my parents, as they often harbor a grudge.

How long have you been a vegetarian? Little over one yearWhat made you decide to become one? To suppress the barbaric massacre of innocent creatures in factory farms(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian?

You can add anything else if you would like.

I wish people can be more toelrant of my beliefs and lifestyle. I only know one other person who is vegetarian. But I don't care about the criticism I get from everybody, it is far more worth it to be criticized than to feel terrible guilt associated with supporting animals' cruelty. Overall I feel going vegan was the best decision in my life.

I would really appreciate it if someone, or a few people really, would respond to my post. Thank you. You're welcome.

Tiffany

I wrote everything inside the quote and it won't let me post if I don't type something outside the quote, so this is why I wrote this...
#5 Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are the questions:

- Ovo-lacto vegetarian (I DO NOT eat fish!!!)

- replace meat with vegetarian foods containing the same nutrients. eg. beans, lentils, chickpeas, whole grains, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, nut butters, tofu, tempeh, other soy products like soy milk and veggie burgers etc

- well I'm a student so my main concern is ensuring that the meals I prepare don't take too much time to make or cost a lot of money

No.

Less saturated fat = lower chance of stroke, heart disease

more vegetables and fruits = decreased risk of cancer, better skin, more energy

I also generally eat better as a vegetarian as I have to be more health conscious, so i'll eat whole grains instead of white bread, and i don't consume much dairy products because they interfere with iron absorption (and as you probably know, too much dairy is bad for you. it's high in fat and tends to aggravate various health conditions in people. for me, it causes acne!!)

I'm not a vegan so I can't answer this accurately.

(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian?

I've been vegetarian for 9 years. I became one because I had an epiphany one morning and just realized it was a better diet in every way possible (environment, taste, health, animals, cost). I'm not married nor do I have children.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#6 Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself? Lacto-ovo.

2. How is a vegetarian diet nutritionally balanced? Well, same way as any other diet, really. By careful planning (which becomes habitual after a while) and by choosing a variety of nutritionally dense foods, such as wholegrain cereals, vegetables and nuts.

3. What are your main concerns when menu planning? I make sure to get a good balance of macronutrients and get most of the needed micronutrients within one day.

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?). I'm not sure I need to, but I do anyway, mostly because I'm going through a hectic period in my life and cannot always eat what I would ideally. Also, since my diet resembles that of a strict vegetarian lately, I prefer to supplement B12. I take a multivitamin for vegans, which contains almost everything one could need (except for selenium for some reason).

For me, enormous. Meat and fatty foods don't agree with me, and when I wasn't veggie, I had a rash, was slightly overweight and sluggish and had major digestive issues. Overall, I'm feeling way better now.

6. What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet? It can sometimes be hard to find suitable food when eating out.

How long have you been a vegetarian? A full vegetarian, for a little more than a year. But it was a slow process, which started about 8 years ago.

What made you decide to become one?At first, I wanted to follow a more healthy diet, then I started being freaked out by the pieces of dead flesh on my plate. I still ate fish for about 3 years before I turned fully vegetarian, so I didn't start out with one way of thinking. My reasons now are many - health, spirituality, better quality of living. I'm also concerned about how the animals are treated in contemporary factory farms, but even if that factor was eliminated, I still wouldn't eat animal flesh.
#7 Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

always happy to help people who want to learn about vegetarianism

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself? vegan

2. How is a vegetarian diet nutritionally balanced? by eating variety. vegans should also supplement with B12.

3. What are your main concerns when menu planning? money and convenience. Can you tell I'm a tennager?

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?). I buy multivitamins every so often and take them for a while, but I don't stress about it. I also drink fortified chocolate soymilk. They each contain a variety of vitamins, but mostly I only buy them for the B12 and don't stress about the others.

5. What are the health advantages, as you see it, to being a vegetarian? I don't really know if there are any health ADVANTAGES necessarily, although of course I believe a vegan diet can be as healthy as an omnivorous one. I do think that often (but not always) vegetarianism encourages the eating of more vegetables which has to be a good thing. I think that veganism probably lowered the amount of saturated fat I was eating, too.

What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet? The only one I can think of is convenience. If you want to eat well, you need to eat at home mostly. It's difficult to find vegan options out-and-about.

How long have you been a vegetarian? vegan for nearly six months, lacto-ovo for about two years before that.

What made you decide to become one? animal welfare concerns.

(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian? I don't know if this applies to me - I live with my dad and sister so it's not like I could control what they eat. My dad is a meat eater who eats largely vegetarian (lacto-ovo) at home, with occasional meat curries and pepperoni pizzas. My sister is a lacto-ovo vegetarian for health/weight loss.
#8 Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are the questions:

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself? Lacto-ovo-v. / house-vegan.

2. How is a vegetarian diet nutritionally balanced? Great variety of veggies, mostly organic.

3. What are your main concerns when menu planning? Taste and outer appearance.

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?). I take a multi to have enough B12 and don't have to worry about others.

5. What are the health advantages, as you see it, to being a vegetarian? More energy. Lesser chance to get coronary heart disease as well as other.

6. What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet? More problems with mainstream people. Problems eating out.

How long have you been a vegetarian? Since about )1992/1993.

What made you decide to become one? A friend in China went vegetarian because of her love for animals and it this got me to think about my own ways.

(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian? (doesn't apply)

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#9 Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here are the questions:

Vegan

I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and pulses

Making sure that my meal is well balanced, healthy and filling

I take a Vitamin B complex (for Vitamin B12) and a calcium supplement with added vitamin D as I have a low calcium intake

I am able to maintain my weight much better as well as feeling generally happier and healthier

Having to supplement my diet

Hope this helps!
#10 Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and a vegan for 7 months.

My desire to help better the planet and lead a healthier and more ethical lifestyle.

Whoops! I forgot about these extra questions!
#11 Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Since you said a few people..

1. What type of vegetarian do you consider yourself? Strict Vegetarian- usually vegan but I still eat honey (if it's in something) and occasionally something containing an animal byproduct

The same way any other diet is! Make sure to eat a varied diet of fruits, veggies, whole grains, proteins, and fats.. and take a multivitamin, I also take calcium.

Right now I'm really focusing on increasing healthy fats because I have a tendency to get wayyy too little. I also watch protein and calories.

4. Do you need to take a nutritional supplement? Why? (If yes, what vitamins/minerals other supplements does it contain?). I take a multivitamin (with B6 and B12) and calcium supplements

5. What are the health advantages, as you see it, to being a vegetarian? In a way you are almost forced to eat healthier- I mean you could subsist on fries but usually even meat replacements like veggie burgers or a grilled portabella mushroom are improvements from burgers. I think in general when people are forced to break from the fast food routine they find there is a whole world of variety and more nutrient dense food (often with less calories and saturated fat too).

6. What are some of the disadvantages to following a vegan diet? Eating in restaurants is difficult sometimes.. also you have to deal with the "hippie" stereotype.

How long have you been a vegetarian? almost 10 years

What made you decide to become one? partially meat started to really gross me out (I was 9 and finally realized where it came from) and partially we had a move across country and I was mad at my parents. P

(If you're married and/or have kids) Do you let your family choose what to eat and incorporate what you eat in your meals? Or is your family also vegetarian? I'm not married, but when I do I plan to cook veg* at home but allow them to choose their own food when they eat out.
#12 Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan.

On a regular, daily basis, I eat whole grains (brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread), soy protein (tofu, soymilk), beans, nuts, nut butters, fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, and 100% fruit juices/smoothies.

How to get enough calories!

Yes. My "multi" contains 100% Vitamins A, C, D, B6, & B12. I also take a magnesium supplement and TUMs, for calcium purposes.

Less saturated fat, more veggies/fruits (usually), more heart-healthy (usually). It makes me feel happier and "cleaner", and I feel good about myself.

Sometimes it's hard to find healthy food I can eat while eating out with friends/family. Sometimes it's even hard to find UNHEALTHY food I can eat! It's also a pain to have a separate shopping list than my parents, whom I still live with.

I've tried it off and on since age six.

I can't handle eating animals or things that came from animals. It not only makes me sad and horrified, but it physically turns my stomach.

Not married, but my parents are pretty much like kids, haha. :P They aren't vegetarian, and they eat whatever they want and whenever they want (and no, they aren't overweight). We don't have "family meal-time". Whenever someone is hungry, we just eat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page