Does my diet sound restrictive? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

My diet is currently completely vegan, with no added sugar or other chemicals. I will additionally not allow myself any food which I do not consider to be nutritious in some way.

Does my diet sound TOO restrictive?

Opinions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Considering that water itself is a chemical compound I'd have to say yes. And what do you mean by "nutritious in some way". Even deep fried potato chips have some nutritional value, even though it may not be great.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 AM

I don't think it sounds too restrictive at all! Sugar isn't necessary anyway (although the sugar in fruits is just fine!) and chemicals aren't great for our bodies, either.

As long as your diet is nourishing and abundant, it sounds good to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

We would die without chemicals. We are biochemical organisms. Water is a chemical compound. Air is a chemical compound.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

We would die without chemicals. We are biochemical organisms. Water is a chemical compound. Air is a chemical compound.

Or instead of being silly we could understand what Groovy chick meant by chemicals.
#6 Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I would consider restrictive to be not enough calories for your body, or not enough fat, not enough nutirents, etc. I see food as fuel and don't consume processed foods or sugar laden products either. Basically I am a "whole foods vegan" And I'm doing just fine.
#7 Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy chick View Post

My diet is currently completely vegan, with no added sugar or other chemicals. I will additionally not allow myself any food which I do not consider to be nutritious in some way.

Opinions appreciated.

Hi,

I also eat a whole foods vegan diet, with no processed junk, and do not consider it restrictive. I love the bounty of all the different fruits, veggies, beans, grains, nuts and seeds we find in nature. What I do find restrictive is the toxic food environment I live in, where we are so inundated with unhealthy food options. I find restaurant food restrictive because there is so little of it that is up to my healthy standards, and you often don't really know what you are getting.

I try to stay out of social situations that restrict me to choices I consider unhealthy. My health is very valuable to me, and I intend to control my health destiny to whatever extent I can. I fear that I am surrounded by people who are digging their graves with their knives and forks, and I do not intend to go along with the crowd on this one.
#8 Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends -- is it causing you stress? is it affecting your family life/friendships/other relationships? Food serves an important social function and being very restrictive can lead to avoiding social situations. Having a strong social network is at least as important to your health as eating well.
#9 Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Eating heathily is very important to me particularly as it is beneficial for health and well being.

My therapist considers my diet to be restrictive because I do not allow myself to consume the foods that others enjoy. Although I enjoy what I currently eat, I do get cravings for "unhealthy" food. However, I am concerned about what damage might be caused should I decide to eat unhealthily.

Does this give a better idea of why I asked the question?
#10 Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

My Mom tends to follow the 80:20 rule - 80% of the time, you behave, 20% of the time you treat yourself. But I suppose that it all depends upon what you enjoy.

Grandad always said that a little bit of what you fancy does you good. But I'm scared of the same things that you are, so who am I to judge!
#11 Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I really, really wish I could eat what I wanted, regardless of its nutritional value.

But I am petrified of two things: getting fat and damaging my body.
#12 Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

It is a hard thing to get over that fear. I'm sorry this worries you so much, and I totally sympathise. I wish I could help more.

If it worries you so much, then perhaps your diet is restrictive, but purely in a mental sense. If that makes any sense at all!
#13 Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

your diet would be veiwed as restrictive by lots of people, but whether or not its too restrictive for you, and whether or not it has a positive or negative effect on your physical and mental health, is another thing.

i think your therapist perhaps has concerns about the restictions your diet places on you, the control that you have chosen to maintain over your food, and the concern and perhaps anxiety that you might have around eating the 'wrong' foods, and has maybe put it all together in her head as meeting some of the potential criteria for an eating disorder?

whether she's right or wrong, its her job to think like this- i'm on a self imposed restrictive diet, (i have food intollerances and sensitivities) though mine is slightly different to yours (vegan, no wheat, yeast, gluten, sugar, very small amounts of fruit, no alcohol, no mushrooms, no moulds or fermented foods- like beer, miso, vinegar, msg, soysauce, etc) and i've had similar concerns raised to me/about my diet by people who don't understand the reasons behind it, who are trained to look for problems, and by lots of people who haven't seen how ill i get if i don't eat like this (if they see me when i've 'slipped' and eaten something i shouldn't, then they get it, lol).

to many people in the mainstream, its unfathomable to live/eat like this, and to be honest, if i knew someone who ate like me, and who didn't get obviously ill very quickly if she didn't maintain this diet, and especially if she was underweight (i'm so not, lol) or slightly inclined to other mental health issues ( OCD's, depression, excessive anxiety, control, guilt, fear of underacheiving, etc) the first thought in my head would be 'eating disorder', and in many cases it would be justifiable.

i think it depends on a lot of things. how strict your criteria is for something being 'unhealthy' and how rigorously you maintain your regime, for a start. i could pick holes in almost any food item, and label it as unhealthy or not 'right' nutrition wise, if i wanted to, to further an eating disorder. if i was going through this myself, a few points i might consider might be:

do i have a history of obsessive or compulsive behaviour?

what do i do when i think i might have eaten something i perceive to be unhealthy? (fret, panic, punish myself, puke, feel guilty?)

do i make my diet work for me to a positive end, or am i a more of a slave to it? (can i enjoy my life and day to day stuff without carrying a list of unsuitable foods around with me, assessing my nutrient intake repeatedly, assessing the nutritional value of everything i ate so far that day, and struggling to work out what completes my food intake needs for the day, etc)

how do i manage/deal with/approach cravings for unhealthy food?

(if i crave cookies, do i tell myself its a bad thing to do, or feel guilty about it, or aspire to do/be/think better, or do i take the challenge of finding a way to make (or buy) some cookies that aren't full of crap, and then enjoy them guilt and worry free?)

ETA: i think that if you feel that your diet is causing you worry or stress, (you just said above that you're petrified of getting fat and damaging your body- sounds like worry and stress to me!) its time to talk to somebody about dealing with these problems- before they (and perhaps your diet restrictions) get out of hand.

ps: you can be relatively healthy and a little overweight. also, worry isn't always rational or in perspective: while its great to use common sense food wise, how would you feel if you had the perfect healthy diet, and then you damaged your body by breaking your neck tripping over a bag of organic lentils in the health food store? sometimes you need to find a balance of whats 'ok' and whats 'good enough', and be able to maintain your happiness as well!
#14 Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Eating heathily is very important to me particularly as it is beneficial for health and well being.

My therapist considers my diet to be restrictive because I do not allow myself to consume the foods that others enjoy. Although I enjoy what I currently eat, I do get cravings for "unhealthy" food. However, I am concerned about what damage might be caused should I decide to eat unhealthily.

Does this give a better idea of why I asked the question?

Hi Groovy chick,

I agree with the previous posts - if you eat unhealthily all or most of the time, then of course you will damage your body. Eating something "unhealthy" once in a while, or as a treat, or even 20% of the time should not be a problem, depending on your definition of "unhealthy". There was a time in my life when I restricted myself to so-called "healthy" foods only, but this was just an excuse to eliminate high-calorie foods from my diet (NOT a good idea, especially for a vegan).

One thing to add: if you are getting cravings for "unhealthy" food, this could be your body's way of telling you that it's lacking something. For example, if you crave baked goods or chips or deep fried foods, you may be needing fats. Nuts and nut butters, seeds, avocadoes, or baked goods with whole grains, might be more acceptable options for you. If you find yourself craving sweets, your blood sugar might be low, and you could try eating some fruit, dried fruit, drinking some juice, etc.
#15 Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good to me! I eat the same way!

I love healthy food soo much now!! I can taste salt from a mile away!!

My tastes have changed so much that nacho cheese smells like a barn. (weird I know) I used to eat jars of that stuff before I had my appendix removed.
#16 Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you are healthy and maintaining a good weight and you enjoy eating the way you eat then there is no reason to change. Some people feel that they are missing something if they don't have their junk foods but different strokes for different folks.
#17 Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

i think it sounds to restrictive (esp. for a eating disorder) i think you know it too (henz the question) its another eating disoreder called othorexia i have had it and it can lead to death ......... i would wonder what you eat with thoese restrictions i hope you can pull thou cause part of living is enjoying food and life ! live a bit i recon!
#18 Old 01-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Banned

She may still enjoy her food. And as long as she does, and she feels good about what she eats, and she's not depriving herself of any vital nutrients, I see no issues.
#19 Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

do i have a history of obsessive or compulsive behaviour?

what do i do when i think i might have eaten something i perceive to be unhealthy? (fret, panic, punish myself, puke, feel guilty?)

do i make my diet work for me to a positive end, or am i a more of a slave to it? (can i enjoy my life and day to day stuff without carrying a list of unsuitable foods around with me, assessing my nutrient intake repeatedly, assessing the nutritional value of everything i ate so far that day, and struggling to work out what completes my food intake needs for the day, etc)

how do i manage/deal with/approach cravings for unhealthy food?

(if i crave cookies, do i tell myself its a bad thing to do, or feel guilty about it, or aspire to do/be/think better, or do i take the challenge of finding a way to make (or buy) some cookies that aren't full of crap, and then enjoy them guilt and worry free?)

When I consider myself to have eaten something unhealthy, I do indeed get rather frantic and panicy. In this instance, I would usually go and regurgitate it (I am a recovering bulimic).

In terms of dealing with my cravings for unhealthy food, I try to ignore it as much as I can. Sometimes, if I am craving something sweet I might eat fruit or savory I might eat crackers.

To be brutally honest, I think I am more of a slave to my diet. I enjoy what I eat, but only from the point of view that it is healthy and good environmentally, nothing else.

Hope this answers your questions hoodedclawjen.

Thanks for all the replies by the way. You guys are great at offering advice!
#20 Old 01-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

i think it sounds to restrictive (esp. for a eating disorder) i think you know it too (henz the question) its another eating disoreder called othorexia i have had it and it can lead to death ......... i would wonder what you eat with thoese restrictions i hope you can pull thou cause part of living is enjoying food and life ! live a bit i recon!

I have heard of orthorexia and have read information on it (of which there is very little), and see that I am exhibiting some of the symptoms associated with the condition. But I don't know what to do now . . . .
#21 Old 01-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

talk to your therapist! accepting that you might have a problem is a big step to sorting it out
#22 Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

groovy , it does not matter the weight or type of eating disorder , you are intitle to help.......... if this is stressing you out and making you obsessive then seek the help you deserve , i have had ortharexia and anorexia for 8 years and i have learnt alot about it , it doesnt matter if you dont think you "sick" enough if you cant cope see someone who will help ! good luck i hope you can break free of this !
#23 Old 01-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

it doesnt matter if you dont think you "sick" enough if you cant cope see someone who will help ! good luck i hope you can break free of this !

Thanks a lot specialK Having gathered all sorts of opinions, ideas and thoughts on this thread, I think I will raise the issue with my therapist. Eating healthily is important to me, but denying myself the odd treat is neither good or productive.

Thank you to all who have contributed.
#24 Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Best of luck groovy. I'm sure that you can work through this. Eating healthily is not just about the body, but about the mind, and part of your recovery is learning to work with this.

All the best,

pirate
#25 Old 01-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

good luck groovy you will get well i know you will !
#26 Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Beginner

I eat a similar diet. I admit I eat the occasional tidbit of junk (but ALWAYS Vegan junk). I will not drink juice with added sugar, etc. I find it works just fine!
#27 Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Opinions appreciated.

Isn't that precisely how we all should eat, or strive to eat? I think that is the ideal diet. I am primarily vegan vegetarian, and to cut out sugar and all chemicals/additives is just a natural part of becoming veg*n.

Roz
#28 Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I asked this question purely on the basis that I have been told it is restrictive by a health professional and wanted to know the opinions of others on this forum.

However, as far as I can gather, the health professional is not a veg*n, and therefore would of course view my diet as restricted.

Wouldn't they?
#29 Old 01-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I wouldn't say that's too restrictive. My diet is completely vegan, basically no processed foods (only some organic cereal, orgabic mustard, soy yogurt ect), basically no sugar (i use Stevia for any baked goods, tea, smoothies ect), and I'm a celiac, so I also don't eat any wheat, oats, barely, rye, malt, spelt, millet, or kumut.
#30 Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

groovy if eating and food should be to bigger stress , if you find yourself worried about not having your set foods (worried the shop wont have it) , or thinking about the nutirence in each item you eat , its taking up to much space in your mind and its a disorder , its okay it can happen but to be truly healthy you need to be relaxed around food and enjoy , not stress over it !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page