my diet...any suggestions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Here;s what I'm planning to eat tommorrow (im back to planning out my days)

This is kind of typical for me (at least for the past few weeks). Any suggestions about things I may be missing?

Breakfast

-½ cup (before I cook it) multigrain hot cereal (wheat, oats, rye, barley, 130 cals for the ----half cup with 5 grams fiber)

-½ cup fat free cottage cheese

-orange

Snack

-1 piece of sprouted barley toast with soybean butter

lunch

-mixed veggies salad with edameme (1/2 cup) and fat free balsamic vinegrette (2 tbspoons)

snack

-1 ounces soynuts

-short non fat latte

dinner

-big vegetable stir fry with tofu

-cup of brown rice

dessert

-decaf coffee and 2 biscotti

-1/2 cup ice cream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

tiny ........... ur diet couldnt be more like mine if we tried ........ wow i thought i was reading my own meal plan word for word , the soy butter on toast and all , i have started lossing cause i have the runs , but before that i was maintaing pritty well but i have ensure plus too to try and gain a bit GOOD LUCK but this sound good for a start!
#3 Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps add a grain at lunch, to start?

Mind if I hijack your thread? I was about to start one asking the same question, ha.

BREAKFAST: Oatmeal (1/2 cup dry) with a tbsp of flax, a banana, and a cup of calcium-fortified orange juice

LUNCH: Pita cheese calzone (with 1/4-1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar in a wholemeal pita), carrot sticks, an apple, mug of tomato soup

SNACK: Vanilla yogurt drink

SUPPER: Vegetable and chickpea curry over a cup of brown rice

SNACK: Bowl of bran cereal with milk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

what is edammine?
#5 Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Edamame= green soybeans
#6 Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

what is edammine?

Soybeans. I buy them frozen and they can be tossed on salads and stuff. Trader Joe's also sells roasted edamame (here's a link to a review of them http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/arch..._joes_dry.php). I eat those also.
#7 Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 PM

I'd say, you could definitely use more calcium. Also, add some fruits or juices somewhere. There isn't really a lot of protein, so maybe add in some more.

Also, overall it definitely needs more calories.
#8 Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atterdag View Post

I'd say, you could definitely use more calcium. Also, add some fruits or juices somewhere. There isn't really a lot of protein, so maybe add in some more.

Also, overall it definitely needs more calories.

Its at the amount of calories my nutritionalist reccomends for me (I'm a 100 lb female). I'm not seeing how I'm lacking protein or calcium. Soynuts, edamame, cottage cheese, tofu have lots of protein. I'm slightly over the daily calcium requirements also.
#9 Old 12-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Your meal plan sounds fine, although perhaps you could add a piece or two or fruit to your diet?
#10 Old 12-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Just a few suggestions since you are asking.

More fruit, more veggies, less/no dairy, non-roasted nuts/seeds and/or avocado, beans are missing.
#11 Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast

-½ cup (before I cook it) multigrain hot cereal (wheat, oats, rye, barley, 130 cals for the ----half cup with 5 grams fiber)

A) Add raisins

B) Add 2 tablespoons walnuts

C) Add some maple syrup, if you'd like

A) This may be labeled as fat free but that does not mean it is healthy. Try skipping this.

-orange

A) Good. Get variety, too, though. Some days, eat cantelope. Some days, eat grapes or blueberries. Eat an apple. Etc.

Snack

A) I love how you are getting a variety of grains, but maybe do a different nut butter or tahini.

lunch

-mixed veggies salad with edameme (1/2 cup) and fat free balsamic vinegrette (2 tbspoons)

A) I think this is good, and you already had a grain above for your snack. I don't think the fatfree dressing is good. I think you should use some dressing and flax oil or lemon juice and flax oil. Your body needs fat, especially omega-3-rich fats. Also, you can add an avocado.

snack

-1 ounces soynuts

A) Again, because you are having tofu for dinner, I feel you should eat something different here, like maybe some seeds or dried fruit or a different type of nut.

-short non fat latte

A) This nonfat stuff really has me concerned. Every time I see someone ordering a nonfat such-and-such, I look at the person, and let me tell you, they all have something in common - they don't look to be at a healthy weight, and my guess is that they order these nonfat cow milk drinks every day thinking they are doing something good for their body. I have jokingly ordered a soy latte with extra fat [okay, i just wanted the salesperson to laugh]. So my suggestion is to try almond, rice, multigrain, or soy [last choice or maybe it's okay, if it is a small one]. I think cow milk is a detriment to your body, whether they have deceived you into thinking there is no fat in it or not.

dinner

-cup of brown rice

A) You rock.

dessert

A) My only suggestion here is that maybe you make your own biscotti with some whole grains and natural sweeteners.

-1/2 cup ice cream

A) Let me guess - this is your treat for getting all what is labeled nonfat stuff during the day? Well, it's still not good for your body. Can you make a smoothie with fruit and fruit juice and if you have not had your daily flax oil yet, add it to the smoothie? Or maybe a small piece of dark chocolate? I know this is your treat, but look at how you eat the rest of the day! Wouldn't it be nice to have more freedom during the day, knowing your last snack at night is going to be healthy anyway?

all of this said, i love how you snack and include vegetables with a lot of your meals. i think you are doing great. these are just my suggestions. no one is perfect. i'm not claiming to be. this is just what i would do, if i could, and i was eating the way you are.
#12 Old 12-17-2006, 09:22 PM

Thanks Penny79 for your commentaries. It was a good read.
#13 Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Breakfast

A) Add raisins

B) Add 2 tablespoons walnuts

C) Add some maple syrup, if you'd like

A) This may be labeled as fat free but that does not mean it is healthy. Try skipping this.

-orange

A) Good. Get variety, too, though. Some days, eat cantelope. Some days, eat grapes or blueberries. Eat an apple. Etc.

Snack

A) I love how you are getting a variety of grains, but maybe do a different nut butter or tahini.

lunch

A) I think this is good, and you already had a grain above for your snack. I don't think the fatfree dressing is good. I think you should use some dressing and flax oil or lemon juice and flax oil. Your body needs fat, especially omega-3-rich fats. Also, you can add an avocado.

snack

-1 ounces soynuts

A) Again, because you are having tofu for dinner, I feel you should eat something different here, like maybe some seeds or dried fruit or a different type of nut.

-short non fat latte

A) This nonfat stuff really has me concerned. Every time I see someone ordering a nonfat such-and-such, I look at the person, and let me tell you, they all have something in common - they don't look to be at a healthy weight, and my guess is that they order these nonfat cow milk drinks every day thinking they are doing something good for their body. I have jokingly ordered a soy latte with extra fat [okay, i just wanted the salesperson to laugh]. So my suggestion is to try almond, rice, multigrain, or soy [last choice or maybe it's okay, if it is a small one]. I think cow milk is a detriment to your body, whether they have deceived you into thinking there is no fat in it or not.

dinner

-cup of brown rice

A) You rock.

dessert

A) My only suggestion here is that maybe you make your own biscotti with some whole grains and natural sweeteners.

-1/2 cup ice cream

A) Let me guess - this is your treat for getting all what is labeled nonfat stuff during the day? Well, it's still not good for your body. Can you make a smoothie with fruit and fruit juice and if you have not had your daily flax oil yet, add it to the smoothie? Or maybe a small piece of dark chocolate? I know this is your treat, but look at how you eat the rest of the day! Wouldn't it be nice to have more freedom during the day, knowing your last snack at night is going to be healthy anyway?

all of this said, i love how you snack and include vegetables with a lot of your meals. i think you are doing great. these are just my suggestions. no one is perfect. i'm not claiming to be. this is just what i would do, if i could, and i was eating the way you are.

I'm working on trying to give up the fat free cottabe cheese right now. It hard because its one of my "safe foods" that I depended heavily upon when I was at the worst point with anorexia. I'm also working on trying to ditch fat free dressings, but full fat ones still terrifry me and I'm working one step at a time at using things with oils (stir fry anyone?, lol)

The ice cream is something my Therepist wants me to try because its a fear food. I do it at night because its easiest for me to just be able to go to sleep and not think about it all day.

Thanks for the comments. I'll try a different nut butter. Cashew butter has been looking intruiging and I've never tried it, so I may pick that up.
#14 Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post

I'm also working on trying to ditch fat free dressings, but full fat ones still terrifry me and I'm working one step at a time at using things with oils (stir fry anyone?, lol)

Why not try low-fat dressings instead and then work your way up to the full fat dressings?
#15 Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy chick View Post

Why not try low-fat dressings instead and then work your way up to the full fat dressings?

Thats the plan, but I'm still not up to low-fat yet. My T wants me to take things slowly, because at a friends b-day party when I tried to "eat normally", I freaked and purged (which is rare), then I restricted. We've generally observed that if I try too much too fast I'll freak and end up in an even worse place, so my "fear" foods are oming back in slowly, one thing or less per week. This week, the stirfry was a step to being comfortable with oils. but generally, I can't handle addign more than one "scary food" back in at a time. It just backfires and I start restricting again.
#16 Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post

Thats the plan, but I'm still not up to low-fat yet. My T wants me to take things slowly, because at a friends b-day party when I tried to "eat normally", I freaked and purged (which is rare), then I restricted. We've generally observed that if I try too much too fast I'll freak and end up in an even worse place, so my "fear" foods are oming back in slowly, one thing or less per week. This week, the stirfry was a step to being comfortable with oils. but generally, I can't handle addign more than one "scary food" back in at a time. It just backfires and I start restricting again.

I fully understand tinydancer. Small, managable steps are the best way forward. Good luck!
#17 Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Beginner

[QUOTE=penny79]Breakfast

dessert

-1/2 cup ice cream

QUOTE]

Just a clarification on something. My treatment team put the biscotti and ice cream in a step in my recovery. Its not a "reward" or "treat" (in reality, I would choose a small smoothie over the ice cream, but its process in recovery), . I make my own biscotti, but part of the purpose of it is for me to get over my intense fear of refined grains, so putting in whole grains would defeat the purpose. I would love for my last snack of the night to be healthy, but its part of my treatment for it not to be.
#18 Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 AM

for protein, i would add in more nuts, like cashews, for example, as they are really energy giving. It's good to see you are having fresh fruit - instead of substituting a smoothie for ice cream, you could always drink fruit juice as well, just earlier in the day. Also, I have had an ED in the past, and one of the main traps is eating the same thing always each day. Try to vary snacks or meals; you could have toast and nut butter sometimes for breakfasts, etc, instead of cereal, or hummus sandwiches one day and pizza the next. That way you don't constantly process your calorie intake, and you also make meals a bit more interesting, so that you're less inclined to skip meals. (well, that's what I found for me, anyway)

for others on this forum, i don't think we should be advising cutting out dairy products. i'm vegan, and I don't like the dairy industry, but I really wouldn't recommend a transition to veganism while in the process of ED recovery. The cutting out of food groups involved could be used as an excuse to eat less. I went vegan when I knew that I'd resolved my issues about food, but I think for anyone with an ED history, you need to be clear that you are doing it for the right reasons. When you feel healthier and more comfortable about food in general, then, yes, by all means do it - veganism's wonderful! xxpeace
#19 Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i disagree with veglover...doing something you are against can cause a lot of anxiety that could cause adverse affects, but that's just my opinion.
#20 Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Beginner

I'm not ethically against dairy and I've never been a vegan (for more than a few days, attempts failed), so its not problematic.

Dairy consumption doesn't cause me anxiety more than other foods. I actually have said I was vegan around people who don't know just so I can avoid eating, so veglovers concern is not far from the truth.
#21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Pretty good

Better than mine... too much sugar here, not enough vegetables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page