Yeah! I lost ten pounds this week! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so excited. I quit binging and started eating a lower fat diet and I lost ten pounds! I'm now 155! I'm working to get down to 130, then after that possibly down to 125 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

You lost ten pounds in one week? That can't be healthy.
#3 Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

That seems like a lot-not really sustainable and definitely not healthy. Be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Part of that loss is likely due to water loss. Most people generally gain 1 - 3 pounds during the day, due to water and food. So if the first weight was measured in the evening and the second in the morning the perceived weight loss might be greater than the actual weight loss. There are many other factors that can contribute to increases or decreases in water weight such as a woman's normal monthly cycle etc.

That is not meant to discourage you. I think it is great that you are moving towards your goal. But, I just don't want you to be discouraged if you find that the weight loss slows down.

Losing 10 lbs in a week would be the equivalent of 5000 calories a day. So roughly to achieve that you would need to decrease your calorie intake by say 1000 calories a day (which would probably be dangerous) and increase your calories expended by say 4000 calories a day (which would probably be 3 - 4 hours of strenuous exercise a day). Neither of which most people could maintain for very long.
#5 Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Beginner

geez people, don't be so hard on her. mind, she quit binging. the human intestines can hold up to 10 pounds of waste, so if the binge was bad, then losing 10 pounds is definitely reasonable.

rawgirl, i'm really proud, and i hope that you are doing it healthy! stopping binging & low fat is a great way, just make sure you eat enough calories and protein and all that stuff.
#6 Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

good for you. Jeez... it took me months.. no, years to learn to quit binging and I still stuggle sometimes... it's only been the past 3 months or so that I've felt comfortable with my eating habits and free of the food obsession and I've only lost about 15-20lbs so far, but like I said I still have my bad days... keep it up
#7 Old 09-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone. I know some of it is water weight because when I would binge, I would get very bloated. At any rate, I have probably dropped my calorie intake by 1000 cals a day because when I binged, I would easily consume thousands of calories in one sitting, in addition to eating regular meals. It was very unhealthy. I'm still going strong! I know the weight loss will slow down, but as long as it doesn't go back up, I'm happy.
#8 Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, congratualtions! That is huge news, that you stopped binging, what a great accomplishment!
#9 Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!
#10 Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

if you excercise you weight might go back up when you build muscle.
#11 Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

if you excercise you weight might go back up when you build muscle.

Yeah, I know that muscle weighs more than fat, so I may not get down to a weight I weighed before when I had less muscle, but I still have some fat to lose. My BMI is 25, so I'm a little bit over a healthy weight.
#12 Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

How did you stop binging?

I'm able to avoid binging for some time but every so and so weeks it just...returns:\\

I guess it's mostly stress based, but also a habit...but yeah I was wondering if you'd like to share what works for you
#13 Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It's definitely related to stress. I got way worse when my mom and dad got divorced. I would actually plan times when no one was around and I could have binges and I'd look forward to them even though I'd feel awful afterward. I guess part of it is the pain/pleasure principle. The pain afterward, physical., mental, and emotional is bad enough that the binge isn't worth it. It really helps me to have some lemon water or herbal tea sweetened with stevia in the evenings. Also, reminding myself of the reasons why I want to lose weight. I'm no pro yet though. I'm still working on it and fighting temptations that arise. I've gone for periods before wtihout binging, then when something stressful happens, I'm into the cookies and chips like crazy. It's funny. You don't want to binge on fruits and veggies. You want to binge on chocolate and junk food!
#14 Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle = one pound of fat. Muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space. And actually, building some muscle means an increased metabolism and therefore more fat loss over time. The scale is pretty meaningless, actually. So, your weight could go up with muscle gain, but you'd lose inches and look much better. Then again, to gain a significant amount of muscle takes very specific nutrition and training, especially for women. I retain muscle well and dance a jig if I can gain 1-2 pounds of muscle during a "bulking" phase.

Additionally, when just starting out your body will repartition, meaning you can gain some muscle and lose fat at the same time (so a person will go down clothing sizes or lose inches, but weight about the same). This only happens in the beginning or when someone is deconditioned or using steroids, so generally you have to focus on either fat loss or muscle gain at a time (with periods of metabolic maintainance in between). My point is that muscle gain is something that has to have effort put into it...

Also, losing 10 lbs in one week is not healthy. Period. No ifs, ands or buts. Even water weight loss which is common in the beginning, is not 8-10 lbs worth. Be careful. If you eat too little you will damage your metabolism. In the first week I'd not be shocked at 3-4 lbs, but beyond that raises red flags in my mind. And after that, aim only for 1-2 lbs a week and no more. I'm not trying to be a downer... really, I'm not.

I'm a certified personal trainer (NASM-CPT and ISSA-CFT) and sports nutritionist. This is what I do for a living (I own a personal training and sports nutrition consulting business), so if you have questions.. PM me or post.
#15 Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help it that I lost that much. My body loses and gains extremely quickly and easily. I was sick that week though and I didn't have much appetite at all, so that probably had something to do with it.
#16 Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM

Probably. I wasn't trying to criticize. I hope you didn't take it that way.
#17 Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle = one pound of fat. Muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space.

That's what folks mean when they say this though. If you have the same "volume" in your body, but a higher muscle mass, you're going to weigh more.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

That's what folks mean when they say this though. If you have the same "volume" in your body, but a higher muscle mass, you're going to weigh more.

I know that's what they mean, but it's incorrect. I know what people mean when they say "sammiches" instead of "sandwiches" and "pitchers" instead of "pictures" but it doesn't mean it is right. I was just laying out the facts.

Besides, when you have muscle and lose fat you are smaller and so your weight becomes irrelevant. That was my point. That and that gaining a significant amount of muscle is very hard to do.

Anyway, I was just trying to help.
#19 Old 09-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:

I know that's what they mean, but it's incorrect. I know what people mean when they say "sammiches" instead of "sandwiches" and "pitchers" instead of "pictures" but it doesn't mean it is right. I was just laying out the facts.

Besides, when you have muscle and lose fat you are smaller and so your weight becomes irrelevant. That was my point. That and that gaining a significant amount of muscle is very hard to do.

Anyway, I was just trying to help.

so everything weighs the same?
#20 Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

so everything weighs the same?

Yes. 1 pound = 1 pound. They just have different density. Fat is fluffier and takes us more space. Muscle is compact and takes up less space.

1 pound of feathers will take up far more space than 1 pound of potatoes. (Think how many thousands of feathers it would take to make up one pound, but 1-2 potatoes is a pound.)
#21 Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yes. 1 pound = 1 pound. They just have different density. Fat is fluffier and takes us more space. Muscle is compact and takes up less space.

1 pound of feathers will take up far more space than 1 pound of potatoes. (Think how many thousands of feathers it would take to make up one pound, but 1-2 potatoes is a pound.)

Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.

Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?
#22 Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.

Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?

I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.

Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.
#23 Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.

Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.

So you really think you are being helpful when you say "one pound of muscle weights the same as one pound of fat" well gee whiz thanks I thought one pound of muscle weighed two pounds. Where is your english degree from, Devry?
#24 Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Mod Note: Let's try and keep this civil without reverting to personal attacks, thanks.
#25 Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the comments on fat/muscle/weight/volume are helpful. Someone who might be losing too fast or focusing only on what the scale says (the basic info from the original post) may be afraid to exercise appropriately. A lot of women in particular seem to be afraid of gaining muscle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page