Yeah! I lost ten pounds this week! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rawgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,064
I'm so excited. I quit binging and started eating a lower fat diet and I lost ten pounds! I'm now 155! I'm working to get down to 130, then after that possibly down to 125 or so.
rawgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,153
You lost ten pounds in one week? That can't be healthy.
Marie is offline  
#3 Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
healthnut32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 506
That seems like a lot-not really sustainable and definitely not healthy. Be careful.
healthnut32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,020
Part of that loss is likely due to water loss. Most people generally gain 1 - 3 pounds during the day, due to water and food. So if the first weight was measured in the evening and the second in the morning the perceived weight loss might be greater than the actual weight loss. There are many other factors that can contribute to increases or decreases in water weight such as a woman's normal monthly cycle etc.



That is not meant to discourage you. I think it is great that you are moving towards your goal. But, I just don't want you to be discouraged if you find that the weight loss slows down.



Losing 10 lbs in a week would be the equivalent of 5000 calories a day. So roughly to achieve that you would need to decrease your calorie intake by say 1000 calories a day (which would probably be dangerous) and increase your calories expended by say 4000 calories a day (which would probably be 3 - 4 hours of strenuous exercise a day). Neither of which most people could maintain for very long.
Vegmedic is offline  
#5 Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Beginner
 
peachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 160
geez people, don't be so hard on her. mind, she quit binging. the human intestines can hold up to 10 pounds of waste, so if the binge was bad, then losing 10 pounds is definitely reasonable.



rawgirl, i'm really proud, and i hope that you are doing it healthy! stopping binging & low fat is a great way, just make sure you eat enough calories and protein and all that stuff.
peachie is offline  
#6 Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Katt Fink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,312
good for you. Jeez... it took me months.. no, years to learn to quit binging and I still stuggle sometimes... it's only been the past 3 months or so that I've felt comfortable with my eating habits and free of the food obsession and I've only lost about 15-20lbs so far, but like I said I still have my bad days... keep it up
Katt Fink is offline  
#7 Old 09-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rawgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,064
Thanks, everyone. I know some of it is water weight because when I would binge, I would get very bloated. At any rate, I have probably dropped my calorie intake by 1000 cals a day because when I binged, I would easily consume thousands of calories in one sitting, in addition to eating regular meals. It was very unhealthy. I'm still going strong! I know the weight loss will slow down, but as long as it doesn't go back up, I'm happy.
rawgirl is offline  
#8 Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SeaSiren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,150
Wow, congratualtions! That is huge news, that you stopped binging, what a great accomplishment!
SeaSiren is offline  
#9 Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular
 
snownose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,009
Congrats!
snownose is offline  
#10 Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ketivnilloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 376
if you excercise you weight might go back up when you build muscle.
ketivnilloc is offline  
#11 Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rawgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketivnilloc View Post

if you excercise you weight might go back up when you build muscle.

Yeah, I know that muscle weighs more than fat, so I may not get down to a weight I weighed before when I had less muscle, but I still have some fat to lose. My BMI is 25, so I'm a little bit over a healthy weight.
rawgirl is offline  
#12 Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ingenting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 468
How did you stop binging?



I'm able to avoid binging for some time but every so and so weeks it just...returns:\\

I guess it's mostly stress based, but also a habit...but yeah I was wondering if you'd like to share what works for you
ingenting is offline  
#13 Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rawgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,064
It's definitely related to stress. I got way worse when my mom and dad got divorced. I would actually plan times when no one was around and I could have binges and I'd look forward to them even though I'd feel awful afterward. I guess part of it is the pain/pleasure principle. The pain afterward, physical., mental, and emotional is bad enough that the binge isn't worth it. It really helps me to have some lemon water or herbal tea sweetened with stevia in the evenings. Also, reminding myself of the reasons why I want to lose weight. I'm no pro yet though. I'm still working on it and fighting temptations that arise. I've gone for periods before wtihout binging, then when something stressful happens, I'm into the cookies and chips like crazy. It's funny. You don't want to binge on fruits and veggies. You want to binge on chocolate and junk food!
rawgirl is offline  
#14 Old 09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Newbie
 
Selke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle = one pound of fat. Muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space. And actually, building some muscle means an increased metabolism and therefore more fat loss over time. The scale is pretty meaningless, actually. So, your weight could go up with muscle gain, but you'd lose inches and look much better. Then again, to gain a significant amount of muscle takes very specific nutrition and training, especially for women. I retain muscle well and dance a jig if I can gain 1-2 pounds of muscle during a "bulking" phase.



Additionally, when just starting out your body will repartition, meaning you can gain some muscle and lose fat at the same time (so a person will go down clothing sizes or lose inches, but weight about the same). This only happens in the beginning or when someone is deconditioned or using steroids, so generally you have to focus on either fat loss or muscle gain at a time (with periods of metabolic maintainance in between). My point is that muscle gain is something that has to have effort put into it...



Also, losing 10 lbs in one week is not healthy. Period. No ifs, ands or buts. Even water weight loss which is common in the beginning, is not 8-10 lbs worth. Be careful. If you eat too little you will damage your metabolism. In the first week I'd not be shocked at 3-4 lbs, but beyond that raises red flags in my mind. And after that, aim only for 1-2 lbs a week and no more. I'm not trying to be a downer... really, I'm not.



I'm a certified personal trainer (NASM-CPT and ISSA-CFT) and sports nutritionist. This is what I do for a living (I own a personal training and sports nutrition consulting business), so if you have questions.. PM me or post.
Selke is offline  
#15 Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rawgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,064
I can't help it that I lost that much. My body loses and gains extremely quickly and easily. I was sick that week though and I didn't have much appetite at all, so that probably had something to do with it.
rawgirl is offline  
#16 Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Newbie
 
Selke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Probably. I wasn't trying to criticize. I hope you didn't take it that way.
Selke is offline  
#17 Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 AM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle = one pound of fat. Muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space.

That's what folks mean when they say this though. If you have the same "volume" in your body, but a higher muscle mass, you're going to weigh more.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#18 Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Newbie
 
Selke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

That's what folks mean when they say this though. If you have the same "volume" in your body, but a higher muscle mass, you're going to weigh more.





I know that's what they mean, but it's incorrect. I know what people mean when they say "sammiches" instead of "sandwiches" and "pitchers" instead of "pictures" but it doesn't mean it is right. I was just laying out the facts.



Besides, when you have muscle and lose fat you are smaller and so your weight becomes irrelevant. That was my point. That and that gaining a significant amount of muscle is very hard to do.



Anyway, I was just trying to help.
Selke is offline  
#19 Old 09-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned
 
remilard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

I know that's what they mean, but it's incorrect. I know what people mean when they say "sammiches" instead of "sandwiches" and "pitchers" instead of "pictures" but it doesn't mean it is right. I was just laying out the facts.



Besides, when you have muscle and lose fat you are smaller and so your weight becomes irrelevant. That was my point. That and that gaining a significant amount of muscle is very hard to do.



Anyway, I was just trying to help.



so everything weighs the same?
remilard is offline  
#20 Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Newbie
 
Selke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

so everything weighs the same?





Yes. 1 pound = 1 pound. They just have different density. Fat is fluffier and takes us more space. Muscle is compact and takes up less space.



1 pound of feathers will take up far more space than 1 pound of potatoes. (Think how many thousands of feathers it would take to make up one pound, but 1-2 potatoes is a pound.)
Selke is offline  
#21 Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned
 
remilard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

Yes. 1 pound = 1 pound. They just have different density. Fat is fluffier and takes us more space. Muscle is compact and takes up less space.



1 pound of feathers will take up far more space than 1 pound of potatoes. (Think how many thousands of feathers it would take to make up one pound, but 1-2 potatoes is a pound.)



Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.



Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?
remilard is offline  
#22 Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Newbie
 
Selke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.



Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?





I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.



Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.
Selke is offline  
#23 Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned
 
remilard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.



Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.

So you really think you are being helpful when you say "one pound of muscle weights the same as one pound of fat" well gee whiz thanks I thought one pound of muscle weighed two pounds. Where is your english degree from, Devry?
remilard is offline  
#24 Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
misq17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,982
Mod Note: Let's try and keep this civil without reverting to personal attacks, thanks.
misq17 is offline  
#25 Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DieselAmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 225
I think the comments on fat/muscle/weight/volume are helpful. Someone who might be losing too fast or focusing only on what the scale says (the basic info from the original post) may be afraid to exercise appropriately. A lot of women in particular seem to be afraid of gaining muscle.
DieselAmy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off