Colitis vs. Food, Part I - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was diagnosed last night (in the ER) with Colitis.

Now...I ate a nice, mostly bland lunch...which contained sesame seeds (not powdered or tahini-but straight seeds).

So then my bf's mother calls me

and the first thing she says, when I tell her it's colitis, is "I hope you haven't been eating any seeds! They get stuck in the lining of the bowels and irritate you more!"

So now I have a question, cuz the research I get is coming up short, and the doc made it seem like colitis goes away, but according to some websites, it doesn't?

What do I eat? Obviously not spicy foods or seeds, and I'm already vegan, so dairy's not an issue.

So, I'm at a loss, and if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome.

Sorry about bringing up such a yucky topic...I'm sure it's every day people want to research on the bowels!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

would this post get more of a response in a different forum?....I know it's only been 12 hours, but when a girl can't eat anything without being in pain...she becomes anxious (esp. when food's her best friend).

>.<

ok, thanks ^_^
#3 Old 08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Beginner

I work with two girls in an office and both of them are complaining of symptoms of colitis. Digestive problems seem to be runnin grampant in this society. All I can think to tell you is up your fiber, but I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure what to eat...I've read to stay away from bread, yeast, wheat (particularly whole wheat) and I'm at a loss otherwise.

some sites say to stay away from large fiber content until the "flare up" (inflammation) is done...which then prompts me to wonder if I'm stuck with this as a condition rather than just an infection.
#5 Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM

The first thing that came to mind is to try sprouting, as I hear that it breaks down sugars/etc. in the bean/legume/nut/grain you choose to sprout, and may make things easier on the digestive system.

Or I'm a hopeless idiot who has no idea what she's talking about. Maybe ask about this in the Raw/Living Foods section?
#6 Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Beginner

I guess I had no idea what I was talking about, I was thinking of another condition. Sorry. I don;t want to give you incorrect advice.
#7 Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

:-p

I found some awesome advice finally by typing in diverticulitis and bedrest into yahoo search as well as colitis and bedrest.

Apparently my docs only gave me half the story, and the only way to heal is to eat bananas, rice, juice (only non-citrus), (ie-brat diet minus the toast)....

and...no sugar as well as chew chew chew.

I am beginning to feel more like a science experiment.

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com...y/Colitis.html

according to this, I should be on complete bedrest and just drinking juices the first 5 days....

wish I could afford that though...I'm a bit at a loss in this regard...

thanks for the advice though...hopefully someone else might have some ideas as well??

I've been drinking saffron tea straight from overseas, since that's apparently good for the digestive tract. ^_^

it also is an easier route for water to get into me, since it makes water taste so much better than like metal !!!! (yay!) (my antibiotics got the water here tasting like a spoonful of liquid silver...not that I'd know what that tastes like..haha)
#8 Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Vegan Police Officer

The best advice for curing Colitis and Crohn's is that of David Klein:

http://www.colitis-crohns.com/

You need to order his book and read it at least three times.

If you're having a flare-up, definitely no seeds, or nuts.

Why are you taking anti-biotics for colitis????
#9 Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 AM

it seems odd that when you were diagnosed by the ER doctor he/she didn't give you any advice on what to eat... they have handouts for things like this.I would have asked in either case.
#10 Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Colitis doesn't mean that you suffer from a chronic disorder and an ER diagnosis needs to be verified. If you still suffer from symptoms try to get a gastroenterologic check-up.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#11 Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

they told me no spicy foods...they also did zero bloodwork.

I just got off the phone with my doc, and she's curious that there was no bloodwork done for all the meds and diagnosis.

She recommended that I just eat what I've been eating, as much as I can...

and in my own defense: when they said "no spicy foods" I thought they just meant anything else would be ok. I really wasn't thinking like "hey, what can I eat" until my bf's mom told me "no seeds" (which doc jus confirmed..no seeds/nuts/anything gritty like that).

so...I'll find out tomorrow hopefully, or be one step closer.

*thank goodness*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page