Living Large-Support - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2003, 02:13 PM

Let's try this and see if it works. Use this as a place for larger folks to find support, comfort, and general words of encouragement.

I'll start the thread by linking this . It a Q & A with a 37 year old woman who accepted her body size about 8 years ago.

I love how she answers this:

Q: How is accepting your weight impacted your identity?

A: I see myself as a large woman, someone who is to be reckoned with and not taken lightly, I have power that someone smaller than me doesn't have when dealing with people I can't be pushed aside.

She also says "A person can be both fit and fat."

And I think she really hit's the nail on the head when she answers this question: What is it, in our culture, that prevents most women from ever accepting the fact that they will never be a size 6?

I'm going to try and look up some motivational stuff for us that are "Living Large". Stay tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, MsRuthieB. What a great idea!

I'd like to share an online 'zine Fat!So?. The Aunt Agony column in particular cracks me up.

Btw, if anyone is easily offended, please avoid the first page which uses very silly pictures of women's bums as links.
#3 Old 07-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehehe. Fat!So? is a funny site. This is a good idea. I've always had pretty good self-confidence and self-esteem but people always try their best to bring it down. Geez...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM

I've found that the first step to accepting yourself just the way you are is to realize that there are different body types. Not everyone is going to be the same size no matter how hard they try. Here are the three body types.

Ectomorphs have a light build with slight muscular development. They are usually tall and thin with small frames and narrow hips and shoulders.

Mesomorphs have a husky, muscular build. They often have broad shoulders, and their weight is concentrated in the upper body, making them look compact or stocky.

Endomorphs are characterized by a heavy, rounded build with shoulders usually narrower than their hips. They have a round, soft appearance and are more often heavier in weight overall.

All of us can't be thin. But every single one of us can be healthy. By focusing on what types of foods you're eating and how much you're exercising, you'll be able to achieve optimum health, even though you may not achieve society's ideal of thinness. Accepting yourself does not mean that you're hopeless and that it's okay to do nothing. We must still practice healthy habits for life. Accepting yourself means that you feel good and care about yourself, and that you want to be the very best you can be, regardless of your genetics, regardless of society's standards.
#5 Old 07-23-2003, 02:52 PM

I'm an endomorph body type.

I am a confident, independent, successful 35 year old professional. I love what I see in the mirror. I wear a size 16. I am beautiful, large, and very sexy!

Thee shiznit! hehehehe...
#6 Old 07-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I've found that the first step to accepting yourself just the way you are is to realize that there are different body types. Not everyone is going to be the same size no matter how hard they try. Here are the three body types.

Ectomorphs have a light build with slight muscular development. They are usually tall and thin with small frames and narrow hips and shoulders.

Mesomorphs have a husky, muscular build. They often have broad shoulders, and their weight is concentrated in the upper body, making them look compact or stocky.

Endomorphs are characterized by a heavy, rounded build with shoulders usually narrower than their hips. They have a round, soft appearance and are more often heavier in weight overall.

All of us can't be thin. But every single one of us can be healthy. By focusing on what types of foods you're eating and how much you're exercising, you'll be able to achieve optimum health, even though you may not achieve society's ideal of thinness. Accepting yourself does not mean that you're hopeless and that it's okay to do nothing. We must still practice healthy habits for life. Accepting yourself means that you feel good and care about yourself, and that you want to be the very best you can be, regardless of your genetics, regardless of society's standards.

thanks ruthie. this three body types theory has always been an interest of mine.

what should be noted is that most people are not 100% one type over another. many of us are a blend. it is only the rare person who could be classified as 100% ecto-, meso- or endomorph. i am definitely an endomorph, but my husband is probably 70% ecto- and 30% mesomorph. there are also personality traits ascribed to each of these types. it's pretty interesting.
#7 Old 07-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say I'm half endomorph and half mesomorph.

Another silly link: Les Toil is an artist who draws pictures of big, sexy women http://www.lestoil.net/bbpg/spot.html. A positive change from pencil-waisted Disney characters.

I wonder if there are any web sites particularly for overweight vegetarians? Time for a google search
#8 Old 07-23-2003, 03:17 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, MsRuthieB.

I'm fat. Fat, fat, fat!!! Not big, not chubby, not plump--FAT. I'll admit, I'm not crazy about it. But I'm happier fat than dieting. I feel pretty good, and my health is ok. I do have some health problems that are related to my weight. I have scoliosis, which makes it hard to exercise, and asthma, which can also make exercise tough (and is exacerbated by my weight.)

So, I work on both eating more healthfully, and accepting myself as a larger-than-average, attractive, sexy woman.
#9 Old 07-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by cookingVeg

Another silly link: Les Toil is an artist who draws pictures of big, sexy women http://www.lestoil.net/bbpg/spot.html. A positive change from pencil-waisted Disney characters.

I wonder if there are any web sites particularly for overweight vegetarians? Time for a google search

i love les toil's work. i wish i had a few hundred bucks to spare to get a portrait done of myself.

i also love coop's fat pin-up girls, and there's a sculptor out there who does "booty babe" statuettes that are awesome.

i have been thinking of starting a "fat and happy vegetarian" community on LiveJournal.

i have a few extra codes to spare if anyone would be interested in joining that.
#10 Old 07-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookingVeg

That site is too cool! You can actually hire him to draw you. I'm gonna have him draw me! Wouldn't that be sweet!!

Those women are sexy baby!
#11 Old 07-23-2003, 03:34 PM

I really shouldn't be loafing at work...but checking out those pics just makes me smile. That one of Hilda is a fun one! Looks like something I would be doing given the opportunity,
#12 Old 07-23-2003, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

i have been thinking of starting a "fat and happy vegetarian" community on LiveJournal.

i have a few extra codes to spare if anyone would be interested in joining that.

I'd love to! But is it ok if I'm "fat and trying-to-be-happy", or maybe "fat and coping" rather than "fat and 100%, rolling-on-the-floor, love-to-see-myself-naked-in-the-mirror happy"?
#13 Old 07-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

here are some links to a couple of fat positive blogs i enjoy reading:

http://showmethedata.info/

http://www.bigfatblog.com
#14 Old 07-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

okay, i created the fat-positive vegetarian community on LJ. visit it here:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/veggies_of_size/

i have a couple of LJ codes available. first ones to PM me get them. you can set up your personal LJ and then join the VOS community.
#15 Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

ooooh!

I adore http://www.fatgirlbreakdown.com. If that isn't the link, I apologize Let me know and I'll try to find it.

(don't feel like doing the whole quote thing)"She also says "A person can be both fit and fat."" <-- I agree 100%. I thought of that the other day when I realized that here I was obsessing over my size, when I really am fit and healthy (as long as I eat right) so it shouldn't matter! I mean, people far skinnier than I am can't walk four miles (a lot of the way uphill) and think nothing of it, but they'll be perceived as being better than me by society because they're smaller.

But f*ck society. When have THEY ever made any sense?

Ooh, and I'm off to join Kreeli's LJ community!
#16 Old 07-24-2003, 07:41 AM

You have such a cute avatar mayuko!....yeah, I consider the live journal thing but I really don't have the time for anymore sites. Wish I did. I barely have time for VB but somehow I manage to make time.
#17 Old 07-24-2003, 07:55 AM

this is yesterday's motivational message from www.dailymotivator.com

Energy of life

It is in all that you see and hear, all that you touch and taste. Can you feel the profound and unparalleled energy of life as it fills your every moment? It comes to you not at your bidding, nor does it cease to come when you ignore it. It simply comes, rich and lush and ready to be lived as much as you will.

Even in the moments of sadness or disappointment or frustration, it is in the background, whispering its joy. You can choose to listen or not, and still it is there.

Think of what a joy and a privilege it is to be alive in this moment. Nothing else can compare. Stop for just a minute and reconnect yourself with the wonder and irreplaceable energy that is your life. Reacquaint yourself on a regular basis with this most fundamental of all your blessings.

Then move joyfully forward, filled with and propelled by the energy of life.

-- Ralph Marston

stop and really think about this for a minute. Isn't it true? Challenge yourself today to feel the energy of life and let it lift you to new heights!
#18 Old 07-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

aww, thanks ruthie! *blushes*

i already have a livejournal, so i'm used to keeping up with the communities there. but i totally get what you're saying, i keep up with LJ, VB, and bolt -- i wouldn't want any more either!
#19 Old 07-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I just want to say, that was all very, very, very helpful for me.

Regarding my own size, I don't know what to say about it. I know I am not small nor am I fat, but thats not my point here. All I want to say is that...I am tired of mentally tearing myself apart over my weight and my size. I want to eat properly and in moderation, exercise properly, and be happy with the person that appears.

**hold me to this!** lol.

lovenlight,

linz
#20 Old 07-24-2003, 09:34 AM

**holding rainbowmoon to her new attitude**
#21 Old 07-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

--I want to eat properly and in moderation, exercise properly, and be happy with the person that appears.--

Good for you! ^_^ I'm glad to hear it. That's what I'm trying for too, and I'm just stubborn enough to possibly actually succeed Good luck, and just know you have plenty of people here for support... and to commence with whacking if you start thinking negatively about yourself
#22 Old 07-24-2003, 10:33 AM

mayuko-for some reason that pic you have makes me want to pinch your cheeks!
#23 Old 07-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Augh! *falls over* Everybody pinches my cheeks... *laughs*
#24 Old 07-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I'm here now. As you all know, I'm a voluptuous mamma. I'm slightly obsessed with the whole old school pin-up style models. Women were permitted to be beautiful, big and curvacious. There's no shame here. MsRuthie-you are beautiful! I love the b&w portrait, it looks like you stepped out of an 50's film.
#25 Old 07-24-2003, 11:40 AM

Thanks! Alot of folks say that...I wanna be a pinup girl!
#26 Old 07-24-2003, 11:42 AM

Oh, and welcome voluptuous Punkmamma! Pull up a nice big overstuffed comfy chair, kick your feet up, and relax. It's all good here!
#27 Old 07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

mayuko- prepare to whack the crap out of me. *hippie bashing*!! I get negative so easy, as you probably see in the Eat to Live thread! hehe. But I am going to try and be more positive about myself. Hard to do when you're bloated and PMSing, but ah, that shall pass!
#28 Old 07-24-2003, 01:31 PM

I've just started a great new fat-positive project. I'm making beaded goddess dolls. They're little fat goddesses (you know, the ones with the big curvy hips & breasts) sewn out of felt and completely covered with beaded embroidery.

While I work on them, I try to think about how beautiful their round bodies are, and how similar I look.

I've finished one and hope to finish a second one this weekend. If I can get the digital camera to work (it's a little moody), I'll post pictures of them
#29 Old 07-24-2003, 01:47 PM

Seeing your name reminded me of this site. Very well done.
#30 Old 07-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

*readies her hippie bashing stick*

hang in there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page