Vegetarians and Sugar Cravings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Are sugar cravings more common among vegetarians than meat eaters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know the absolute answer to this, I can only speak for myself. I always had really bad sugar cravings, even when I was an omni. It's actually gotten somewhat better since going vegan, though. I find I eat a lot more fruit now, whereas before I would grab the candy bars and junk food.
#3 Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

When someone is getting way too much protien or way too little the will crave sugar. On avrage Americans eat twice the protien they need, so I wouldn't think it would be more common among veg*ns since many know how to get the proper amount, but there are still those who don't.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

In my experience eating a lot of carbohydrates like potatoes and pasta can intensify sugar cravings. So I imagine if you are eating more of these as a vegetarian, sugar cravings could intensify.
#5 Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't remember whether I had sugar cravings when I was omni (it's been 4 years) but I know I get them terribly now. There are days when I want to eat nothing but sweet things or things with a sweet nature (pb with jam instead of plain for example). I remember being more of a salty snack person when I was younger, but I think it's more due to taste buds changing rather than vegetariansim. Or maybe I just have a sugar thing.
#6 Old 07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfart View Post

Are sugar cravings more common among vegetarians than meat eaters?

I get sugar cravings more now than I did as a meat-eater, but I need to qualify that statement. First of all, its been five years since I ate any meat at all, so my memory could be faulty. Additionally, the last time I ate meat regularly, I was thirteen - needless to say my metabolism and my horomones were much different then than they are now. Finally, when I did become a vegetarian, I initially replaced the meat in my diet with junk food (not on purpose, it just happened). I practically survived on pizza, bad carbs and (you guessed it) sugar. Now, my diet is in much better shape (usually). But I'm suspicious that I crave sugar because I ate so much of it when I first went veggie.
#7 Old 07-10-2006, 01:45 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure.

I never get sugar cravings.
#8 Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found the more I stick to healthy eating the less I crave sugar. The more I eat junk food the more I crave more sugar. Just my experience.
#9 Old 07-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I've found the more I stick to healthy eating the less I crave sugar. The more I eat junk food the more I crave more sugar. Just my experience.

I'm the same way. Right now I'm in a Froot Loops rut. That's all I've had to eat all day and that's all I crave. Ugh
#10 Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM

My husband became veggie 2 years ago, and now he always eats sugar. When he is hanging out with the boys, he would rather have soda and cookies than beer and chips. He never used to be that way. I guess he is not the only one!
#11 Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Beginner

Sugar cravings = calcium cravings

be sure to get your calcium and the cravings will go away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page