Eat to Live/Fruit Debacle - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2006, 07:30 AM

(I'm new to these forums and haven't lurked very long, please excuse any faux pas ).

For most of May, I've been doing Eat to Live with...um...interesting results. I have no problem with eating my one pound raw and one pound cooked veggies, but I'm having issues with the fruits and beans; I can't just stop eating them, even when I'm stuffed! I feel helpless! I'm not sure what to do about this...Can anyone help or offer some advice? I'm in desperate need.

ETA: It's really interfered with exercising. I get so full and bloated that I just won't exercise.

And, according to Dr. Fuhrman, I have approximately 15-20 pounds to lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Instead of trying to limit your fruit and vege intake, have you tried eating and exercising at different times?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 05-29-2006, 08:17 AM

I don't need to limit my veggie intake -- I'm happy eating veggies and know that I'll stop eating once I'm full. My problem is that I'm struggling to break the cycle of eating just because I'm bored. I can't bring myself to exercise because I've got myself stuck in this rut of being so full I could pop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-29-2006, 04:14 PM

My understanding of the book is that you need to eat the fruits/beans WITH the vegetables at the same time. Maybe try having the fuit/beans first, so that you know what portion size you want to have, and then eat the vegetables after so there is a 'stop' point programmed into the meal and you can keep munching the veggies until you feel full. It may help, but since there technically is no limit to the amount of fuits and beans you can have I'm interested as to whether you're still losing weight while eating to an uncomfortable level? Has the program still been aiding your weight loss?
#5 Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM

My problem is that I CAN'T STOP eating, no matter how I try to combine things. I eat beans and fruit for breakfast, and then eat some celery or carrots and STILL WANT MORE. I know I'm full but I can't stop eating!

I've had zero weightloss, though I feel lighter. My clothes still fit the same way and I still look the same.

This is so frustrating for me. I do anything to get food. I feel so desperate.
#6 Old 05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

eat normal. whole foods. enough healthy fats. increase your exercising. go see your doctor - if you have changed your lifestyle to one that would promote weight loss, you may need your thyroid tested... have you lost inches?
#7 Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

To me it sounds like you are dealing with a problem that is a lot more psychological than it is physical. I am almost an expert at emotional/psychological eating problems at this point, ...One thing that has helped me immensely, that I've recommended a ton of times on this forum, is to pull out a journal and write before everything I eat. Its a pretty big pain in the ass, but after a month or two of doing it, you start to really THINK before you eat. The way it worked for me was like this:

May 29, 2006: Dying for something sweet at 7:30 PM- I'm not hungry at all but I feel tired and a little dizzy and I'm thinking it might make me feel better to eat that brownie and mint chocolate chip ice cream cake. I'm going to eat it because I feel like eating it.

And just keep doing that, everytime you eat. After awhile you'll inevitable start to talk yourself out of eating bad things or overeating; particularly if you write down your level of hunger before you eat.

Its just something that works for me.
#8 Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 PM

I try to believe it's not psychological but, deep down, I know it is. I'm not fond of sharing my person life with others, but I'm letting my demons get to me. If only I could really accept that!

Thank you for your advice, rainbowmoon. I'll try the diary thing. I really need to slow down and try to incorporate the whole "first things first" motto into my eating behaviors.
#9 Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are eating just to have something in your mouth gum might work.

If you have appitite issues, drinking green tea might lessen your appitite (supposedly). Another way to look at it also is to train yourself like people train dogs. Find out when you are actually hungriest and set your meal time to that. I eat breakfast at noon, lunch at about 2pm, dinner at about 7pm now, and have a snack at about 11pm becasue I seem to have later circadian rythem. You could also use a diet/ appitite supressent pill (like hoodia) as a temporary crutch to re-train yourself to meal-times. Just some ideas...
#10 Old 05-30-2006, 04:08 PM

Honestly, I know deep down that this is an emotional thing. Has anyone tried Overeaters Anonymous? I've been an atheist since I was about 9, so I'm not comfortable with bringing "God" or any "higher power" into my life. I know the site says atheists are accepted, but they mention spirituality and greater powers a whole lot.

ETA: I never have hunger, so I can't set times to eat when I'm hungriest. I just never feel "full" no matter what I seem to do. If I can get some vegan gum, I suppose it can't hurt to try.
#11 Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieG View Post

I've been an atheist since I was about 9, so I'm not comfortable with bringing "God" or any "higher power" into my life. I know the site says atheists are accepted, but they mention spirituality and greater powers a whole lot.

Well, your higher power could be your commitment to the ethical treatment of animals, your feelings of oneness with the universe, your love for family & culture, your path to wellness, your discipline or desire, love of art or nature, etc. I think of God as a kind of shorthand for many things-- It is definately frustrating to think of turning yourself over to Zeus in the clouds with a lightning bolt-- when really, you are the one saving or destroying yourself. (The concept of a supernatural being running the world as a puppet theater is too Twilight Zone to me). I don't like 7 step groups because I feel they teach a kind of helpless co-dependence on similarly screwed up people (aka: the blind leading the blind), but often half the people there are just there for the chance to drink coffee and chat, and try to discover how to get out from under their problem. (Aka: helpless, lonely people trying to remain stable). If their vocabulary includes the word God, it is no big deal either way. My Dad was an Alchoholic, and I went to Ala-teen for a while, and those people were whacked out (back then I think their gole was to get as many young kids hooked on booze as possible ). They sat around whining, boasting, self loathing etc. It was not pretty. It might however help you a bit to lurk, spy, gather intellegence, and see if it could help you at all. Personally I would call myself "normal but challenged" and take an appitite supressent as a crutch till you re-train yourself (which has really helped me with my constant mouth stuffing). Make sure you get at least 3 meals a day that will last you longer than a half-hour to digest. I think that quitting anything takes practice (apologies to the person who wrote that commercial). I quit smoking 3 years ago, after trying for quit for many years. I learned the trick is you have to learn to overcome your own self-conditioning. Helplessly falling for a Guru is one way to go-- but does it make you stronger? or does it make you dependent. It is not easy to rule your own passion-- sometimes I think this is because we know what kind of frauds we really are deep down. But once you get into the hard-fact mode, you know what your doing is bad for you. You just need to put your knowledge into action. I think 7 step programs give you a road map to put your knowledge into action. All you need is the map, and the will. Good luck!
#12 Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

snack on celery!

it has a negative coloric impact, because it takes more energy to chew then the celery provides.
#13 Old 06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

People often do things that they are ashamed of when alone. Don't let yourself be alone until you break the cycle. Fix yourself a reasonable size portion of food and then invite people over or go out. I'm no expert, this is just an idea you might try.

You said that you can't exercise because you over-eat. What if you forced yourself to anyway. Sure you'd need to go slowly, but at least you'd be moving.

Or, I wonder what would happen if you just set a timer to exercise before you started eating, which you had to obey no matter how full you are?

Maybe you should reward yourself when you stop eating after a reasonable amount - with an activity that you enjoy and not allow the activity if you over-eat.

I have no experience with this though, so take all I've said with a big grain of salt.
#14 Old 06-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

snack on celery!

it has a negative coloric impact, because it takes more energy to chew then the celery provides.

I heard about that recently. Is that really true?
#15 Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Beginner

My husband was having similar issues. I thrive on the Eat to Live diet and he started doing it with me but was gaining weight on it. His issue seemed to be fruit as well. I told him that he could fruit as a snack if he really needed one (snacks are not actually recommended on the diet) and he'd eat half a watermelon or a huge bowl of grapes. What's working for him now is an online vegetarian plan. He really needs to have a certain amount of calories planned out for him each meal to limit what he eats. The program lists what to eat each day with recipes and seems to be well balanced. Something like that or just counting calories might work for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page