Any other GI - ers out there? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone. I noticed that there were a few posts on different diets and was wondering if anyone else follows a Glyciemic index plan? I don't do it to lose weight cause I'm quite thin, however I am a bit of a one for sugar swings and lows so I now eat mostly low Gi. It works! Also i'm very active so it helps keeps energy levels up for me too.

I just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else follows this for similar reasons...

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've thought about it before, but looking at long lists just tends to confuse me. Do you have an easy site for following it?
#3 Old 05-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Yes, there are lots of resources on the web, just type Glycemic index into your search engine. There isn't one I use per se...

I know what you mean about the lists, but really, it's a matter of remembering that generally, Whole wheat products, and things with seeds and nuts in them (like whole grain bread) are lower GI carbs, and that combining them with lots of non-startchy veg, a moderate amount of protien, and some fat, will be low GI. Dairy products are low GI, if you eat them.

For example, a whole wheat samwich with lettuce, onion, artichoke, beetroot for example, with plently of hummus. That will release energy steadily.

It's really just healthy eating with a little more thought!

Lastly, don't be put off by diabetic websites or books, as it's the same thing - you don't have to be diabetic to eat low GI! gooD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I figure with my vegetarian diet, I donty need a diet.
#5 Old 05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat low gi to control my blood sugar levels because I have hypglycemia. Makes me feel heaps better.
#6 Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat dairy, and I'm trying to have more whole grains. I keep caving about brown rice. It takes longer to cook, and I prefer white rice with a lot of dishes, still.
#7 Old 05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry06 View Post

I figure with my vegetarian diet, I donty need a diet.

Yeah, that's what I thought, and then I put on 10 pounds. So now I need to lose 20. OK, well, NEED to lose 15 to get back into my healthy weight range. Want to lose 20.

Anyway, I did South Beach for a little while (before I was veg), which is heavily glycemic index-based. But I hear that the glycemic index theory has been supplanted by the glycemic load theory, which is supposedly a more accurate measure of how foods will affect your body. I think glycemic load essentially means that some foods which are high GI but very calorie sparse, like say raw carrots, are allowed where they wouldn't be on a strict GI diet.
#8 Old 05-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I do I guess what you might call a variation of a GI diet.

Sometimes I dont like today I had a baked potato which is a no no but it was calling me so I ate it.

But I go with what is its nutritional value verces its GI index.

If its value is good I eat it basicly it needs to be low in calories and good for you. Technicly baked potatos fall under that guidline but they always make me hungry so I avoid them.

I mean a snickers bar has a lower GI than a good quality whole grain bread but it is common sence to figure out which one you should eat.
#9 Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Yeah, definately there is some potential for misconception, but if you use it as an 'applied' way of healthy eating, you can't really go wrong. Shadowlee - that's the reason I do it too and I think that it really helps! Can't know unless you try, eh?!
#10 Old 05-23-2006, 08:52 AM

REMEMBER CONCEPT, FORGET INDEX

The concept of the glycemix index is helpful. By all means keep in mind that refined carbohydrate foods leave you hungry and make you fat. But no one wants to carry glycemic tables around in their pocket or purse.

I think it is a good concept to understand but I do not worry about the numbers. Because I do not eat refined starches ( white bread, white rice white pasta, sugary foods or beverages and potatoes sparingly.

I build my meals around high fiber, unrefined whole foods such as vegetables ,fruits and whole grains, legumes and soy for protein and some good fat.
#11 Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

See, there's my big problem with any GI-based diet... "potatoes sparingly." I vehemently oppose any diet that tells me to avoid potatoes! They are a whole, natural food, they're high in fiber, vitamin C, several B vitamins, and lots of minerals, and they are YUMMY in virtually every form. POTATOES! So any diet that tells me to eat them sparingly (or, heaven forbid, not at all) is right out. *wishes for a dancing potato smiley*
#12 Old 05-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Beginner

Yeah definately that's a downer however, the diet still works if you combine the potatoes with a good source of protien, such as beans, which lower the GI significantly. Potatoes aren't that good by themselves anyway!

Also eating them with the skin on lowers the GI. One of my fave meals is a baked potato with baked beans or chilli beans (or really any kinda beans!), cheese, and a mixed salad. Simple but good for you and tasty !
#13 Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I love potatoes, but I just can't eat them very much - they give me a headache. They are high GI.

Fruit juice is a similar problem for me. There are health benefits to drinking fruit juices (eg vitamins), but I just can't drink them because of the sugar content.

I have my own little internal GI table. Eat high GI food = get a headache (and learn to avoid it in the future!) Eat low GI food = feel healthy and happy. My body tells me what it wants, and I find that is the best diet to follow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page