carbs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

hey guys..just checking...coz ive been eating what i want and calculating it less...good times! food tastes a lot better when its just FOOD.

but carbs do no harm right?? as long as your burning them off. and your getting enough protein etc? its a stupid question but my housemate keeps commenting that i LIVE off them.

i eat piles of bread. piles of pasta and cereal. but also high protein and vitamin stuff..and thesedays, sugar as well.

just thought id ask for an opinion there. but im sure its been asked before.

i know low carb is ridiculous, and i feel GREAT like this. but im talking like..excessive amounts. it really doesn't matter though, true??

xo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2006, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

carbs are a source of glucose which is what your brain uses as fuel. they also fuel your daily activities, as we get little energy from protein - most of that is used for the construction of new tissue in our bodies (ie, new muscles, repairing injuries, maintaining muscle mass, etc), or fat (i can't remember right now what fat is used for.. it carries vitamins and minerals, acts as a lubricant and gives us some energy value..).. what i would worry about is getting too many REFINED carbs and not enough whole grains. I've seen what you eat every day, though, and you are doing GREAT. You eat a balanced diet with adequate fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and you're active enough to balance it all out..

don't worry, eat and be happy.

<3
#3 Old 04-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks! thats been my philosophy. had another delicious day today. every morsel was HEAVEN. and all very satisfying. and now off to study...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

w00t! that's great m'dear

you should e-mail me sometime, the address is in the profile
#5 Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

carbs are a source of glucose which is what your brain uses as fuel. they also fuel your daily activities, as we get little energy from protein - most of that is used for the construction of new tissue in our bodies (ie, new muscles, repairing injuries, maintaining muscle mass, etc), or fat (i can't remember right now what fat is used for.. it carries vitamins and minerals, acts as a lubricant and gives us some energy value..).. what i would worry about is getting too many REFINED carbs and not enough whole grains. I've seen what you eat every day, though, and you are doing GREAT. You eat a balanced diet with adequate fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and you're active enough to balance it all out..

don't worry, eat and be happy.

<3

ahhhhhh..finally!

I was ready to do my normal long reasons as to why carbs are GREAT for you, but lubellula took care of it for me! GREAT ADVICE!

At least 50% of everyones daily nutritional intake should be carbs - GOOD CARBS , NO REFINED (again as lubella stated).

If you do not exercise often than just limit your caloric intake and you will be fine!
#6 Old 04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks barry. i eat more than 50% carbs . but what i mean is...is it only people who are aiming to lose weigh through low carb or something that count them at all? it doesn't effect health in any non-weight way right? mine are all nonrefined. i just LOVE them. pasta. ww toast. whatever
#7 Old 04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

oh and while im asking. i eat a LOT of nuts and avocadoes and the same person who brought this to my attention said that too much vitamin E is a dangerous thing. anybody know if theres truth to that one??

i dont think about what i eat half as much as i used to ..but id still like to be on the more healthy side than not!!

and libellula yes i shal
#8 Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is Google's results for "too much vitamin E".

This in particular should be helpful.
#9 Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

thanks barry. i eat more than 50% carbs . but what i mean is...
Quote:
is it only people who are aiming to lose weigh through low carb or something that count them at all?

it doesn't effect health in any non-weight way right? mine are all nonrefined. i just LOVE them. pasta. ww toast. whatever

Can you repeat the question? I have been up for 19 hours and I can't seem to understand it
#10 Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
sjd

People with blood sugar issues like me, have to be careful of high glycemic load carbs. I am a lacto ovo vegetarian, and I am careful with the choice of carbs I eat. I eat a lot of vegetables, and fruits too, but stay away from potatoes, corn, white flour, a lot of sugar, etc. I really feel better eating this way.

I read a new book called the Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson, and it really changed the way I look at carbohydrates.
#11 Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

oh ok. yeah i always eat 'good carbs. i just assumed that the people who avoided even the good ones like the plague were either doing that atkins thing or misinformed. that if you weren't aiming for a specific lowcarb diet, and the carbs were high quality, theres no such thing as too much??
#12 Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

There is such a thing as to much, if you are not active enough to burn off what your taking in then even complex carbs can be eaten to much of.

When it comes to fueling the body the first thing the body burns is carbs, course those are also the first thing to be stored as fat when you eat to much also.

Second thing to be burned as fuel is protien then finaly fat.

It also depends on what kind of carbs you are eating for instance if your talking potatos verces say caulflower, potato is often called a complex carb when it is really a starch that impacts blood glucouse levels very fast and very hard so for anyone watching thier weight or diabetics this can be a bad thing.

More or less I choose complex carbs that are very high fiber and some fruits.

I'm also Hypoglycemic so what carbs I can or can not eat are pretty important.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page