Healthy (fatty) foods to stop losing weight - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm starting this thread for my sister, as I myself have no trouble not losing weight

Her problem is, that she started losing weight steadily for the last half year, without trying to do so. She has lost about 25 pounds in this time. At first, she was weight wise in the heavy side of a healthy weight (very little exersize due to health problems) so she's not underweight, yet. So, I think now is about the right time to stop the weight loss.

My sister is (also) a vegetarian, but has been for over 10 years, so this wouldn't have contributed to her weight loss. She did start exersizing more, but not very much, not enough to explain the weight loss anyway.

As far as I can see, she eats enough food, but she says she has less appetite then normally. When I talked to her, I though that she ate very little fats. Most of the fats she consumes seem to come from milk (1.5 percent fat) and from cooking oils. And ofcourse junk like potatoe chips, and pizza and stuff like that, but not to regularly, obviously, otherwise she wouldn't have this problem

So, what she needs, is a list of healthy calorie rich foods, especially rich on healthy fats. And, avocado's are expensive here, we both are college students . Any help/tips would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Peanuts? Olives? Nuts? Beans seem to be dense and filling--do they have a lot of calories? Corn and Peas seem to be pretty fatty. Dried green pea snacks are about 120 calories for 21 peas. A corn or black bean salsa is really good with corn chips. That seems fairly healthy. Unfortunately, one reason I became vegitarian is it is so hard to get a lot of fat.
#3 Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Has she seen her doctor to have a full physical/bloods/thyroid check? I would recommend it if she hasnt yet to make sure the weight loss isnt the symptom of a larger problem.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

What Rabid said.

If there aren't underlying causes to her unintended weight loss (i.e., she's basically just not eating enough), she could try to eat plenty of nuts and seeds, coconut, avocado, salads with oily dressing (preferably made with healthy plant oils such as virgin olive oil) and (not fat, but calories) dried fruit (preferably the natural, unsweetened kind). She could also try to substitute some of her water intake for liquid calories - juice, smoothies, plant or cow milk - for an easy way to up her overall calorie intake.
#5 Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Olives, avocados, nuts, seeds, coconuts, salad dressings made with extra virgen olive oil, flaxseed and flaxseed oil (but don't cook with flax oil).
#6 Old 04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I would really recommend that she see a doctor. A weight loss of 25 pounds without trying could possibly be a sign of a serious underlying condition.
#7 Old 04-08-2006, 09:51 PM

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are high in good fat. just put more salad dressing on her salads, its super cheap and will make them taste even better. have her butter her toast with promise buttery spread, much less saturated fat and high in good fat. make a trail mix with dried fruit and almonds.
#8 Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Avacado, avacado, avacado!

Plain(with a sprinkle of salt), as guac, or in a grilled avacado sandwich.

Nuts and nut butters, seeds and even tofu!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#9 Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually don't think the weight loss is that drastic-- 25 pounds in approximately 6 months is 4 lbs per month-- a pound is about 3000 calories (I know that is not totally accurate), so per week she is burning 3000 calories extra, per day 428 calories which is about 4 miles and a little more of walking-- There are 190 calories in 2 tsp of peanut butter. To stop loosing the weight and keep up the same activity load, assuming she is healthy, she should just eat the equivelent of 4 teaspoons of peanut butter per day.
#10 Old 04-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the all the tips! I agree with Gita that the weight loss isn't too drastic, since it wasn't in a very short time period. And, she has had her blood checked, not very recently but recently enough, after the weight loss started. I'm sure the docter would have checked her thyroid functions on that occasion as well, so I don't think that is the problem. I think the problem is with her eating habits. The suggestion to try for liquid calories is a good one, that girl drinks way too much tea

My mother bought her a bag of cashew nuts, and when she gets to the right store this week, she will also get some chestnuts. Avocados are good, but they need to get a bit more in season over here. And, flax seed/oil is very hard to come by here, I haven't even found it in the health stores in our town.
#11 Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Dried fruit is also another, healthy option. You can find many varieties in conventional stores though raisins are pretty universal favorities and pack a lot of calories in a relatively small volume.
#12 Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I have the same problem, I eat Loads and lots of fatty foods (several avacardos a week and a bottle of olive oil per week etc) but I've not put on any weight in 3 years. I'm any really skinny and its so annoying
#13 Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be irritatingly skinny when I was younger. When I was 22, I went on a "reverse diet." and gained about 20 pounds (from 106 to 125 pounds). I've spent the last 8 years regretting that decision. If you're naturally skinny, eating healthy and active with enough energy, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! You will put on a few pounds as you age, definitely when you have children, and you will be happy then that you are naturally thin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page