are you ever nervous to say you're vegan because of your weight? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2006, 01:49 AM

Ok, I'm a curvy girl and I, like a lot of people, could benefit from losing a few pounds (and I'm trying!). I've only been vegan for a month which I know is not at all a long time, but a lot of times when people find out I'm vegan they'll be like, "REALLY?" as in "God, you must eat a TON since you're vegan AND a bit chubby!" I'm not vegan to lose weight although this does seem to be happening slowly for me, but I'm sure it can seem like just another diet phase to others. I almost try to avoid talking about being vegan to people who don't know me that well (which I shouldn't do since its so good to get people to be aware) just because I hate that awkward part where they look you up and down and judge. Maybe I'm just too insecure though. Does anyone else feel this way sometimes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel this way, but for me it is because I am underweight. I always was thin, even as an omni, but now that I'm a vegan, as soon as I'll tell people, they'll think that I'm starving to death. They'll think that I'll waste away. People are judgemental, and a way to deal with that is a comeback. Refer to the "Witty Responses to Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread for comebacks. And good luck with your weight loss!
#3 Old 04-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Seeing as how everyone seems to think vegans are pallid and skinny and fading fast, they might be surprised in a good way. They might be re-thinking their stereotypes to a more positive view of veg*nism, one that includes people of all weights.

You should be proud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Beginner

What kind of people are you hanging out with??

My friends would never dream of putting me down because of my weight. If it was someone I just met or g*d forbid a stranger in the store I would not react well to that comment. I would let them know how rude of a comment that was at the very least.

Kaem demand respect no matter what your weight is! DON'T let people talk to you that way. Once you start challenging people who are putting you down your self confidence will come up and those comments will be fewer and far between.
#5 Old 04-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlina1 View Post

What kind of people are you hanging out with??

My friends would never dream of putting me down because of my weight. If it was someone I just met or g*d forbid a stranger in the store I would not react well to that comment. I would let them know how rude of a comment that was at the very least.

Kaem demand respect no matter what your weight is! DON'T let people talk to you that way. Once you start challenging people who are putting you down your self confidence will come up and those comments will be fewer and far between.

I think the OP was suggesting that this is what she believes people think when she says she's vegan, not what they say.
#6 Old 04-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i say it. i'm tiny and peopl eassume i'm thin because of my veg*nism

i've been this way even since omnihood, so it's a load of hahahaha when i tell them that, LOL
#7 Old 04-08-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

i say it. i'm tiny and peopl eassume i'm thin because of my veg*nism

i've been this way even since omnihood, so it's a load of hahahaha when i tell them that, LOL

Isn't it hilarious when people think that becasue you are tiny or thin that you are not healthy? WELCOME TO AMERICA! To think you have to be 'BIG and STRONG' to be healthy is sooooo FRIKEN stupid!

OK America, where are we now? Telling our kids they have to drink their milk and eat their meat to be big and strong. GREAT, we are at 70% obesity rate in America. Look where it got us!

Keep doing what you are doing everyone and BE PROUD! I cerntainly am. You shuld see all the emails I get after a TV appearance. "Your Vegan? How do you look like THAT if you don't eat alot?'....Trust me I eat plenty!

Hold your head up, be positive and believe that what you do is the ABSOLUTE right thing, not only for YOUR well being, but for the poor, helpless animals.
#8 Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

When someone makes a negative comment about my weight, I try to just laugh it off. The best way to make yourself look good is to smile, and that has nothing to do with weight. If you're a happy person and still get negative assessments, they may just be jealous.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 04-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Also....am I embarrassed to say I am vegan? HELL NO! Being in the fitness industry and in front of MANY, MANY people I THRIVE to say I am vegan.

When they ask why I don't you eat meat (sarcasticly) I reply, "Why do you?"

UHHH, UMMMMM..DUHHHHHHHH for the protein? Is their reply..they don't even know why they eat it! They do so, JUST BECAUSE! This, my friends, IS NOT a good answer. I am sure you all agree.

Stop being on the defense and start being on the offense. We have nothing to be ashamed of, THEY DO!
#10 Old 04-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Lacto-ovos get those comments, too. I've gotten the comment before-- mine was a once-over and, "I thought vegetarians was all... real little." I think it's just as well to let the world know that veg*ns come in all shapes and sizes, and we aren't just a bunch of pallid anemics.

And that would be my response to a comment like that...

"Vegetarians come in all shapes and sizes, but we tend to get cancer a lot less."

"So, I'm supposed to be too weak to walk or something?"
#11 Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I think the OP was suggesting that this is what she believes people think when she says she's vegan, not what they say.

I guess I didn't think about that. Here is my two cents on that: (ok many of my opinions are worth 1/2 cent at best, but I have many so make up for it in volume)

I would say don't be affraid to discuss your vegisim with anyone if you are comfortable discussing your personal and private dietary choices. Remember you are talking to someone who sticks dead animals in their mouths. What room do they have to even think about your issues? Honestly. Try that mindset if you are feeling low about your weight and vegisism.
#12 Old 04-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind being the one to shatter stereotypes. I am curvy, glowing, vegan and proud!
#13 Old 04-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I was scared to say at first that I was vegetarian, because after eating meat and everything I could get my hands on all my life, I was really overweight. I still am, but the pounds are dropping lilke crazy!! Its great. I just felt like if I said I was vegetarian, people would look at me and be thinking "How in the heck could you eat that many carrots??!!". But now I dont really care. I know I am doing the right thing and I feel SO good!!
#14 Old 04-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlina1 View Post

Remember you are talking to someone who sticks dead animals in their mouths. What room do they have to even think about your issues? Honestly.

Haha! I like that!

Thanks for your positive responses, guys... living with four omnis, I sometimes I forgot I'm not the only one in the world who has these values/morals/opinions!

I'm going to stick with everything and learn to be proud of myself.
#15 Old 04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I once knew a family who tried to eat mostly vegan meals. Their oldest daughter was quite heavy, from well before their decision to remove (most) animal products from their diet. The mom believed their veganism was really healthful, because in her words, "can you imagine how <daughter> would look if we DIDN'T eat this way?!" I kinda imagined the girl would look about the same no matter what, but the mom figured the girl would be twice as big without the vegan diet.

A vegan diet isn't necessarily low-calorie, low-fat, or even nutritious. Like anyone else, vegans can choose to eat a healthy variety of fresh whole foods, or a diet of junky fatty sugary processed foods, or any combination of those things.

Btw, I'm vegan and average size. I've never been thin in my whole life, and I didn't lose or gain any weight when I went vegan.
#16 Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Lacto-ovos get those comments, too. I've gotten the comment before-- mine was a once-over and, "I thought vegetarians was all... real little."

I got that once, and in my ever-so-irreverant way, I simply said "no.... some vegetarians are actually much taller - we're not all micro-munchkins like I am".

What was he going to do? Back up and admit he was meaning "little" as in size of my butt? Too late. He was in a hole and was NOT about to try to dig himself out by buring himself in deeper.

Someone posted a brilliant comment on the "vegans are supposed to be thin" thing by saying "well, I'm trying to break that stereotype, one vivacious curve at a time" (ok, the original poster said "jellyroll" but I think vivacious curve is much more fitting ).

Say is loud, say it proud - veg*ns come in all shapes, sizes and body types. And we're all FREAKING lovely, too (don't EVER forget that).

Don't let the deadeaters shake you. It's just the prions eating at their brains that's doing the talking and judging.
#17 Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I don't mind being the one to shatter stereotypes. I am curvy, glowing, vegan and proud!

Aww, Sally, you're such a hottie, you can't help but represent veganism well!

4EG,
#18 Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

see my problem is that i'm naturally thin and pale. i was thin and pale long before i was vegan. so sometimes i'm worried about telling people i'm vegan because i often get the "oh THAT's why you're so skinny!" comments. which of course gets my back up. i can't just let it slide, i tell them i'm the same size as i was for years before going vegan. they never seem to believe me. i hate having to get all defensive especially when meeting someone new, i don't want their first impression of me to be that i freak out easily or whatever. but at the same time they don't give me a very good first impression when they immediately criticize my lifestyle and appearance.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

see my problem is that i'm naturally thin and pale. i was thin and pale long before i was vegan. so sometimes i'm worried about telling people i'm vegan because i often get the "oh THAT's why you're so skinny!" comments. which of course gets my back up. i can't just let it slide, i tell them i'm the same size as i was for years before going vegan. they never seem to believe me. i hate having to get all defensive especially when meeting someone new, i don't want their first impression of me to be that i freak out easily or whatever. but at the same time they don't give me a very good first impression when they immediately criticize my lifestyle and appearance.

thats exactly how i feel! Sometimes i'm hesitant to tell people im vegetarian because they will say something like i need to eat more... my grandmother thinks all i eat is lettuce
#20 Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm definitely one of those "curvy" (very, very curvy) vegans and I have gotten the "I thought vegetarians were all supposed to be skinny" comment MANY, MANY times...

People who don't know me have no idea I've lost over 70 pounds - (and yes, still have many "curves" to lose) but I always sound like I'm defending myself if I pipe up with "but I've lost XXX pounds being vegan"... maybe I should, (no bashing my self-esteem please) but in real life I hate drawing any attention to myself and would rather let the "skinny vegan" comment go with a smile and a "not ALL of us vegans are skinny" sort-of reply...

My new boss at work has lost 20 pounds quite rapidly on Atkins and she raves about it to me all the time saying "When you get tired of that vegan thing not working, you sould really try THIS diet..."
#21 Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

My new boss at work has lost 20 pounds quite rapidly on Atkins and she raves about it to me all the time saying "When you get tired of that vegan thing not working, you sould really try THIS diet..."

Did you ask her how long she expects to live, in all honesty? Cuz she's going to die rapidly of kidney failure if not a heart problem. Maybe it was nice for her to drop all that weight, but at the expense of her health later on in life.

Ask her why atkins is no longer alive anymore.

#22 Old 04-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No, as a plump, pink-cheeked one I like suprising people who think we are all skinny and pale.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#23 Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_acid View Post

Did you ask her how long she expects to live, in all honesty? Cuz she's going to die rapidly of kidney failure if not a heart problem. Maybe it was nice for her to drop all that weight, but at the expense of her health later on in life.

Ask her why atkins is no longer alive anymore.

Ummmm..where has your boss been hibernating?

Atkins has gone down the disposal awhile ago, just like Curves will eventually.

I am not comparig Curves to Atkins, it is just that people will WAKE UP eventually and realize it is all marketing and in Atkins case, TOTALLY UNSAFE.

Ask your boss how it feels to heave breath that smells like elephants ass, BUT WORSE! GOOOOO ATKINS! That is minor compared to all of the side effects. Right this link down on a piece of paper and put it on your bosses desk or send it to her in the mail

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/
#24 Old 04-18-2006, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=kaem]Ok, I'm a curvy girl and I, like a lot of people, could benefit from losing a few pounds (and I'm trying!). I've only been vegan for a month which I know is not at all a long time, but a lot of times when people find out I'm vegan they'll be like, "REALLY?" QUOTE]

Hi Kaem!

I feel this way at times. I'm too chunky and trying to lose weight as well. And I have been a vegetarian for 9 weeks now. I am losing weight now. Starting next week I will be going through a transitional phase from vegetarian to vegan.

When I tell people that I am a vegetarian I have some that says "really" or "for how long are you going to do this!" etc. etc. I tell people "I am changing my eating habits to the way God wanted us to eat from the beginning and if everyone start doing so this country would not be critical obese and unhealthy from putting chemicals and animal flesh into your holy temple".

That get's them all the time.
#25 Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Here's some progress photos of Michelle, who is a vegetarian and eats a lot of raw food to lose weight and heal some other diseases. Thought it might interest you. She really made awesome progress from her start photo.

http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Journals...awPictures.htm
#26 Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm giving a presentation on vegetarianism tomorrow in french, and i've been worrying that people will associate my veganism with my thinness.
#27 Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Beginner

If people are against it, they will find anything to blame it on - you are too thin, too fat, you look tired, you're too hyper...
#28 Old 04-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

People who don't know me have no idea I've lost over 70 pounds - (and yes, still have many "curves" to lose) but I always sound like I'm defending myself if I pipe up with "but I've lost XXX pounds being vegan"... maybe I should, (no bashing my self-esteem please) but in real life I hate drawing any attention to myself and would rather let the "skinny vegan" comment go with a smile and a "not ALL of us vegans are skinny" sort-of reply...

First off, way to go on losing 70 pounds. And the most important thing to remember is that you will keep it off because you did the most important thing. You changed your lifestyle. Atkins is not a healthy diet and no one can make that his or her permanent diet. So, when she goes back to her old eating habits, and since she has lost probably 15 pounds of muscle mass, she will gain it back and then some. Everyone I know on a low carb diet has ended up being many pounds heavier than they started with.

There is only one diet that works to keep weight off and it works for everyone. Eat less exercise more. It really is that simple. You change your lifestyle to do these two things and you will lose weight.

I am 5'11" and 190 pounds and I get the "All the vegetarian guys I know are like 140 pounds...blah blah blah" crap all the time. Also, they are surprised that I ride motorcycle, I am a firefighter and pilot, I snowboard, hike, etc etc. They say stuff like "All the vegetarians I know aren't very adventurous blah blah blah". When I hear that, I always want to say something like "Oh, that's funny. I thought all meat eaters had low IQ's and dragged their women around by the hair."
#29 Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I totally feel your post! I am really overweight (214 lbs, eeeesh). I assume most people are aware of the vegan stereotype of being really thin and maybe even underweight, like Fiona Apple used to be. But I am the total opposite and it does make me nervous that people will assume I'm eating TONS all day long, because I'm ashamed to say that is the case on certain days (hello, eating disorder!) I'm trying to improve my eating habits to no longer rely on vegan high calorie staples like pasta and bread. Oh, sorry, I'm rambling, haha.
#30 Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

I assume most people are aware of the vegan stereotype of being really thin and maybe even underweight, like Fiona Apple used to be.

Is Fiona vegan?? I did not know that! Cool. Never be ashamed to admit you're vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page