My roommate won't listen - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

My roommate has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Her mom took her and her twin sister to the dietition and the dietition put them on a "diet"...but they are not following it. I love them both and don't want to end up with full-blown diabetes...but neither of them will change their eating habits.

The dietition put them on a "weight loss diet" and it consists of about 130 grams of meat protein (ick), 187 grams of carbs, and 87 grams of fat.

I don't necessarily condone those numbers for weight loss, but they aren't following it anyway.

My roomie will not eat any vegetables except for french fries. They both think they don't eat a lot when they both do. Her twin eats significantly better than her though...she will eat salad and try new things.

As of now my roommates eats pretty crappy and is just drinking lots of Glucerna. She did buy some Kashi GoLean and some cream of wheat...but I don't see her changing her diet. For instance, she ate KFC the other night and at lunch always chooses white bread and greasy chips!

I don't really say much to her about it...but when I do she always tells me she just wants to drink the Glucerna and not eat right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Ultimately, she's responsible for her own health, there's not a lot you can do. I do wonder if she's aware of the potentially life threatening nature of diabetes. I think a lot of people think that you just give yourself a shot of insulin and you're fine. The truth is hundreds of thousands of people die every year from complications due to diabetes. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults and is responsible for over half of non-traumatic lower limb amputations.

You might suggest she find out more information, show her this website: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...s/index.htm#12. Beyond that, you have to try to distance yourself from the issue, she has to make her own choices.
#3 Old 03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

I have a friend who won't eat any veggies except for corn and potatoes. She had a heart attack almost a year ago, and she refuses to change her eating habits. She'll eat five slices of bacon pizza in one sitting, hamburger helper, mac and cheese, rice with enough butter to kill a whale, fried fish, and the list goes on.

Some people are digging their graves with a fork and spoon, and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. It's sad.

BluePlasticStraw hit the nail on the head. Her health is her responsibility, not yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

I have a friend who won't eat any veggies except for corn and potatoes. She had a heart attack almost a year ago, and she refuses to change her eating habits. She'll eat five slices of bacon pizza in one sitting, hamburger helper, mac and cheese, rice with enough butter to kill a whale, fried fish, and the list goes on.

Some people are digging their graves with a fork and spoon, and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. It's sad.

BluePlasticStraw hit the nail on the head saying her health is her responsiblity, not yours.
#5 Old 03-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I can sympathize, it's awful to see friends eat like that. I hope she changes her ways.

One thing you can do is to cook yummy healthy meals and make a little extra for her to try. Who knows, she might decide that she likes something that's actually good for her.
#6 Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry. My husband has diabetes, and it sucks. Your friends might think that they can manage their condition with medicine and eat all they want, but diabetes is vicious and fatal. They're looking at kidney failure, blindness, and amputation of the feet before eventual death. I know you can't change them, but I wish you could. Maybe leading by example will do them some good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page