Is this REALISTIC? (gained 6 pounds in 1 week) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Beginner

I just gained 6 pounds in one week, that's only seven days. Is that possible? I wasn't eating much for a while and then I started w/ binges for a week and apparently gained weight. I'm also a little backed up w/ the bathroom issue. Can that be real?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Much of the weight is probably gas, bloating, and backed up poo.
#3 Old 03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i gained 7 lbs on a four day cruise but then again i was eating pizza and ice cream four times a day.

Your body is probably just retaining a lot of water, back logged food, ect. Just drink up on the water and you'll be surprised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Heck, I gain 6 lbs by eating celery stalks (slight dramatization). But seriously, like everyone else said, it's food weight and bloating and water retention, etc. Especially if you've been restricting your food intake prior to eating a lot, your body will hold onto every drop it possibly can. Once (if) you go back to a normal eating pattern, your weight will balance out to where it's supposed to be.
#5 Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Foods with MSG can do me that way overnight.
#6 Old 03-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Beginner

What has MSG in it? It's probably from the bloating from being so backed up. My stomach hurts horribly! It's so stretched out and pudgy now all around my middle, 2 inches larger! Are there any natural laxatives I can take? Phillips doesn't work for me. So, after my system is cleared out my body will just return to normal?
#7 Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

drink WATER..
#8 Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I must have gained at LEAST 5 pounds during the past weekend. we went to the Northeast Storm Conference and basically binged on SO much crap. lol...luckily I fasted the day I got back to school and watched what I ate very carefully for the following days. I'm actually back to a couple of pounds lighter than Ii started. BUT, but the end of the weekend, I was noticably bloated and wouldn't be surprised if I had gained 10 pounds. (for breakfast one day, I had like four FULL PLATES of food and that is SO unlike me)
#9 Old 03-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't be surprised at all to see a six pound difference in weight from one week to the next. i know my weight varies by at least a few pounds from day to day.
#10 Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I could gain 6 pounds in a day, that's how easy I gain. But then I could lose that amount in a day too if I had just put it on. The longer it's on, the harder it is to get it off.
#11 Old 03-21-2006, 08:57 AM

i had a GIANT binge on friday, sat, and sunday.

I gained ten pounds in three days

Do you guys think if i fast like quincy did and watch what i eat the weight will fall off? i'm restricting as it is because i DO have an ED which is what caused me to restrict and then have the biggest binge of my life.

right now my whole body feels bloated... can i really drop this weight as fast as i packed it on?
#12 Old 03-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiexgirl View Post

i had a GIANT binge on friday, sat, and sunday.

I gained ten pounds in three days

Do you guys think if i fast like quincy did and watch what i eat the weight will fall off? i'm restricting as it is because i DO have an ED which is what caused me to restrict and then have the biggest binge of my life.

right now my whole body feels bloated... can i really drop this weight as fast as i packed it on?

If you have an ED you should not fast. Just go back to eating normally.
#13 Old 03-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I fasted for about 36 hours and by the end, I was pretty much drained. if you're going to fast, try to do a mini-one and keep it to 24 hours or less. it might vary on the person though, so ask your doctor if you're really concerned. fasting is something that I rarely do and perhaps it wasn't totally necessary after my 3-day binge...
#14 Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Phycillium is a good natural "stool bulker" and also whole flax seeds. I throw some organic whole flax seeds in my rice every time I make it (after it is cooked) and have great B.M.s. Sorry you have been so backed up-- since you posted 5 days ago I assume the problem is over. If not, hope you are not in too much pain.
#15 Old 03-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate a lot of food yesterday...I'm not sure if I would call it a binge, but anyway, I gained 3.0 pounds since the same time yesterday morning...

and this was even after I "expelled" any possible added weight...

lol, maybe I'm kinda obsessive, but I weigh myself every morning...this is a wake-up call to NOT have binges, even if they are mini-ones.
#16 Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

quincy i would advise you not to weigh in every day. The human body's weight fluctuates daily and the three pounds you 'gained' are probably just water retention. Pick one day and weigh in on that day once a week. The scale can become our worst enemy sometimes
#17 Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Is water retention just added weight, or does it look like fat and add inches? Just a random question since you're talking about it.
#18 Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycutie View Post

Is water retention just added weight, or does it look like fat and add inches? Just a random question since you're talking about it.

if you have the additional weight of retained water, you will also have the additional volume of the water.
#19 Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

quincy i would advise you not to weigh in every day. The human body's weight fluctuates daily and the three pounds you 'gained' are probably just water retention. Pick one day and weigh in on that day once a week. The scale can become our worst enemy sometimes

I only do it when I go home and I've noticed that on the days that I clearly eat way too much, I gain more than one pound.

it's not a big deal though, since I am in a very healthy range and if I gain a few pounds here and there, (even if I didn't lose it back - either water retention or something) it wouldn't hurt me. (5'8, around 135 pounds)
#20 Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Beginner

When are you weighing yourself?

I lose about 3 lbs. every morning and it comes back at night. When I work out I can lose a lb. in perspiration.

Water retention can be caused by a myriad of things, but it's usually something that you ingest that causes water to stay in your body as a dilutant. The body is an incredible organism and is constantly protecting itself.
#21 Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to add that the human intestinal tract can hold as much as 7lbs of feces at a time. If you're backed up, then that's probably part of the reason. Also, if you've been eating foods that are high in sodium, water retention could be a problem.
#22 Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Beginner

I basically overdosed on laxatives, but still have to take an herbal tea every night. I didn't loose the weight after that, so I know it's just from binging. Now i'm stuck w/ a 2 inch larger tummy. Can i ger rid of it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page