FitDay/Caloric Consumption Calculation - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2006, 01:02 AM

Hi, I was wondering how many people here use fitday or other such sites (please name them). How do you like them. So far, I've tried fitday and i really dont like it. I was looking for sweet potatoes and after 10 minutes all I found was Puerto Rican Sweet Potatoes. I don't think mine were puerto rican, but i selected it anyways. Then under the quantity, all they had was cups. How can you tell approximately how much you are eating to input it to get the nutritional information you need. Please help me figure this out, or let me know if there is another program that is easier for people like me to figure out

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweetpotato is there just type it in as one word. It is very finicky, and can be a pain in the beginning to use. I use it when I have time, but a lot of my food has to be put in by hand, then I can recall it fairly easier when I eat the same thing later.
#3 Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Since you don't really like fitday, try sparkpeople.com (I think?) if you want. I've heard it has tons of great stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM

I use nutritionaldata.com to look up calories and then I keep track of them myself on paper. They also list all the other nutrients but dont keep track of it for you, just shows you that one food. I had such a hard time with fitday and it just seems easier for me if I just write it down myself. Although I only keep track of my calories, not other things like protien or vitamins or calcium. I really wanted fitday to do that but was never able to get it to work too well for me. I ended up frustrated.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html
#5 Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post

Since you don't really like fitday, try sparkpeople.com (I think?) if you want. I've heard it has tons of great stuff.

I just joined that site to see. I'm already disappointed, though. I can't find subsitutes that I want such as soymilk instead of cows milk. There doesn't seem to be any way to add your own foods. Am I overlooking something?
#6 Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, Jinga. I've never actually used it- I've just heard it raved about from friends.
#7 Old 01-25-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks you guys....I really think I may just start writing it in a journal. I'll probably calculate my calories on my own though. I have a question though... do you guys tabulate the calories from vegetables. Like if you eat a salad with half a bell pepper and some cherry tomatoes with spinach, like how do you calculate the calories of fruits and veggies? thanks
#8 Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

um, use a food scale. lol. it doesn't really matter exactly how many calories are in your salad. it's not very many. and it's healthy, and no one ever got to be morbidly obese by eating spinach... annywayyyy...

www.calorieking.com is the best, though, if you must know
#9 Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 AM

I am aware of food scales. I just want to avoid becoming overly obsessive about my calorie consumption. And I wasn't just referring to portion sizes in regards to a salad, I'm talking about other foods in general like potatoes for example. I just want to find an accurate way of calculating my calories.
#10 Old 01-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I count calories from veggies. I wouldn't obsess about it or anything, but calories are calories.
#11 Old 02-01-2006, 11:58 PM

I LOVE FITDAY! No kidding. I've been doing it since October last year, and I've lost 20 lbs already. I am attributing it largely to fitday, because by doing it, I am able to see more easily what I'm taking in and putting out. Before this, I was honestly just ignorant, not realizing how many calories are in certain foods. Like today I learned that lentils, according to fitday, cooked ones, are about 600 calories for a cup! Unreal, yet it's healthy. I would have thought in the past, since they were so "healthy" that maybe a cup was about 300. Also, there were 2 weeks in that 20 lbs loss in which I didn't lose any weight. When I went back to look at the charts, I was able to see how my intake and outtake were very close. By doing fitday, I have also been able to see and understand how much food is enough.

In the beginning, it was more tedious than it is now. I measured my food, had measuring tools on the counter, and whenever I prepared lunch or made breakfast, I measured everything. At first it was a pain and felt uncomfortable, but after about a month, I just got to know how much something was by looking on my plate, in a bowl, in the pan, you just get to know how much a cup is or two cups, or even 1 oz. of something, depending on what it is. Now, I can make mental notes through the day, for lunch I had thisthisthis, etc., and maybe 2xs a day input my food and exercise. By doing this, it makes me aware.

I do alot of custom foods, inputing them on my own. Since I tend to eat the same custom foods, I don't have to input all the time. But since it works so well for me, I don't mind inputting them when I have to.

It also strangely is a way to keep me accountable, because I know I have to log in and look at it. There were days when I ate 5000 calories, for example. I didn't beat myself up, but I was like hmmm.... just a good way to make me aware, ok, why did I eat that much, etc. I love how you can look at the reports and graphs and see what the average calories you take in and burn, those graphs are helpful to me to look at averages instead of having one bad day. And I'm learning, it really is true, weight loss really is math - if you're not loosing weight, it's because you're taking in more than you're putting out. The months I can see I'm putting out more than taking in, and I weigh myself, I have lost weight everytime. There was no mystery.

As a general rule, by doing fitday, I'm able to assess, ok, how many calories do I have left to eat today in my range, am I eating too much fat today, etc. I also see my long-term habits. As an example, I have noticed that the fat percentage in my diet seems to be consistently high, so I have been working on keeping the %age down. It's hard to do, but on the days I do it, it feels really good. Today I only had 11% which is very uncommon!! Wow. I figure it's ok since most days I have plenty, LOL.

And by doing it I learn which foods are lower calorie, higher calorie, high fat, etc. It's just great cuz I'm learning so much. I'm anticipating that there will be a day I won't have to do it anymore and I'll just get into good habits and know, you know, what to eat to stay healthy but not too stringent. Have some play.

I don't know. I am a fast typist so the inputting foods doesn't bother me. I have never missed a day. And it's sort of like an achievement chart to me, so it feels like it works because I can see my progress.

Also, I look at the report for vitamins. I have also learned that for some reason, I'm consistently low in folate and zinc. So I've learned, that's probably why I tend to catch cold when I'm not taking my vitamins!

...And here's a strange thing about fitday. I used to have a problem with eating at night, too late at night. The funny thing, this doesn't happen as much anymore because I don't want to log into my computer and put the foods in late, or remember to put in the next day, so I just opt to wait til morning to eat whatever. Strange...but hey, whatever works!
#12 Old 02-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

If you join Glamour.com they have a great setup where you can keep track of your calories and your workouts. They even let you set "goals" and you can check whether or not you made them. It also keeps track of your weight and how "fit" you are, they will ask you when you first join how much you weight, how many pushups/situps you can do..stuff like that. It's a great way to keep track of your physical health.
#13 Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 AM

Wow...thanks so much for your help angel. I think I will attempt to give Fitday another try.
#14 Old 02-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwarrior View Post

Like today I learned that lentils, according to fitday, cooked ones, are about 600 calories for a cup! Unreal, yet it's healthy. I would have thought in the past, since they were so "healthy" that maybe a cup was about 300.

Cooked lentils are about 230 calories a cup. Maybe you're confusing them with uncooked lentils, which are about 650 calories for a cup.
#15 Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwarrior View Post

...And here's a strange thing about fitday. I used to have a problem with eating at night, too late at night. The funny thing, this doesn't happen as much anymore because I don't want to log into my computer and put the foods in late, or remember to put in the next day, so I just opt to wait til morning to eat whatever. Strange...but hey, whatever works!

Whenever I use to go to sleep I would wake up to use the bathroom or get a drink of water and I'd ALWAYS ALWAYS be in the mood for something sweet and since I would be half asleep I'd grab something like cookies and fall asleep so what I learned to do is before I go to sleep I eat a piece of ww bread with some honey on it, and that takes care of it.
#16 Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Beginner

Cool, I'm happy I peeked through this thread. Fitday looks pretty decent, I agree though sometimes it is hard to get an accurate calorie count, especially if you don't eat a lot of processed or prepackaged foods I've used the nutritionaldata site before and it is good, but Fitday appears to be more complete in what it offers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page