Smoothies/Fruit Salads - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Are these things bad for you if you're on a diet? I eat a fruit salad for a snack, a smoothy with protien for breakfest and all..bad for diet?

What is your favorite kind of smoothie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Well they probably are if they have syrup. I think the syrup is loaded with sugar.

I make my own smoothies - banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries, and about 3/4 cup orange juice.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you make your own fruit salad. Just cut up fruit such as pineapples, rockmelons, honeydew melons, watermelons, kiwifruit, grapes, strawberries, banana, oranges etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 AM

I make my own as well..I also bought syrup, suger free fat free..pretty good.

My smoothies have all kinds of fruits, different ones usually, strawberries, blue berries, carrots, i also put protien in there..soy protien which is great.
#5 Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

green smoothies are very very yummy. It's a good way to sneak in greens to make sure you're getting enough. Plus, the fruit overpowers the greens so you still get the yummy fruit taste.
#6 Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

If you make your own and don't load them with sugar or ice cream, I think smoothies are great! Fruit salads are really healthy as well, imo. I like to cut up all kinds of fruit and top it with a handful of almonds.
#7 Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I love yogurt smoothies....drinkable yogurt..Mmmmmm
#8 Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM

yeah, I dont add sugar in nothing..splenda in my smoothie thats it. The fruit salads get some syrup, sugar free though so I got nothing to worry about =)
#9 Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Actually that stuff sounds quite healthy.

Fruit contains the sugar "fructose" instead of "glucose". (Or a higher percentage of fructose.) Fructose is actually sweeter than glucose, but has roughly the same amount of calories. So you can satisfy your sweet tooth with fewer calories.

Outside that, fruits have fiber, and have proven anti-carcinogenic properties. As well the soy milk you add has lots of the good fats, and plenty of other healthy properties.

Sounds like what you're doing is pretty healthy!
#10 Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I take frozen fruit, orange juice, and soy protein powder and blend away!

They make a great breakfast, but they aren't so appealing in the winter.
#11 Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM

yeah, I use soy protien powder too..no carbs/sugar etc.

Actually I don't drink or add soy milk to anything, or milk in general, the sugars in it are ridiculous and even if they are ok for you, it'd just make me feel bad drinking it.
#12 Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Beginner

My fav smoothie is mixed frozen fruit and oj/soymilk. I never add sugar or anything. if you like fruit salads, a lot of fruit goes well with spinach so you could try adding some veggies with it if you're concerned. I like spinach, apples, berries, and walnuts in a salad with a bit of rasberry vinigarette. yumm.
#13 Old 12-09-2005, 01:56 AM

I havnt been losing much weight, do you think it has anything to do with the fruits that I eat? I eat papayas, pineapples, bananas, watermelon, honeydrew melons, strawberries, grapefruit, orange, 1 serving of each.
#14 Old 12-14-2005, 03:36 AM

You can add yogurt for smoothie but make sure its fat free. Or just add milk and fruits that you want to add.
#15 Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM

I love just about any kind of smoothie, I make them all the time. (although not quite so much now that it's december) I've never tried adding any kind of greens to them though, so thanks for that idea Jenna!
#16 Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Beginner

if you don't want to actually make a smoothie, there are some really good ones made by bolthouse farms. they have strawberry banana (my fav), vedge (vegetable juice mix), green goodness....don't remember what's in that one. anyway, they boast about being very healthy and are tasty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page