Binge Triggers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2005, 12:56 PM

After switching over to a mostly vegan diet, I have to say that my craving for binging has stopped, at least in frequency, as it used to be an almost daily thing, whereas in the past 2 weeks I've only had the desire appear only once. I do believe it is because I have cut out all refined sugar and grains, though, because I've come to find that these foods kick in my need to overeat.

However, two nights ago I went out with some friends and gave in... I had bread pudding and ice cream for desert, refined sugar and flour heaven! Now the interesting thing is this. Since I had made the change to not eat dairy anymore or any refined products, eating that desert was BAD!!! I mean BAD!!! Lots of self-deprecating going on in my self-talk, but it's lightening up some, I'm making an effort to talk nicer to myself when I hear it going on.

So for the last two days I have been fighting to urge to binge. It is probably both mental and physical. I have had these desires to go out and eat whatever the heck I want, including all the foods I gave up. I thought about ordering my favorite, pepperoni pan pizza from pizza hut. I'm realizing it's because I'm thinking, "I screwed up, so I may as well screw up really good!" Like an all-or-nothing kind of attitude. Since I had that desert, I may as well tag on any other thing I have been wanting to do in my eating patterns right now while the time is there. Here's my chance to have a real fest! But these desires are lessening after two days now and I'm feeling more normal.

I have only been mostly vegan for about 2 weeks now. So I'm trying to tell myself, so what. You're transitioning. When it comes to diet, I have a hard time with the grey areas. I don't want to say "I'm transitioning" and use that as an excuse to give in when I want to eat something that is not good for me. It's like, if I have one candy bar, before I know it, I'll be eating one a day. So I've found to stay away from them is best. But I don't want to self-deprecate, either.

And I have to say, also, that one of the most frustrating things about this change is going to other people's houses for dinner, food that gets put out at work or potlucks, and going out to eat. When I can stay in my little bubble, buy the foods I want to eat, prepare them, eat them at my house, I'm fine. But boy, I feel so deprived when I go into a restaurant, read the whole menu, and realize the only thing that is on the menu in my new way of eating is either a garden salad or mint tea! I do live in an area that doesn't have alot of alternative menu items, either, which makes it difficult. The last time someone said that I said, "Let me make you dinner." And one night the menu was so bad, I literally did order just mint tea and ate at home.

So I'm curious to hear what other people's binge stories are, if you have noticed any "triggers" for you and what you do for them. I'm not looking for advice, just your experience. So far, I'm finding that total abstinence from certain foods, healthy, loving self-talk and "faking out my brain" to work (by making foods that look like what I want though they may not taste the same). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

hi angelwarrior - im trying to become vegan and ive experienced a lot of what you are talking about, i hate the limit of options when i go out to eat and i almost never accept an invite for somebody to cook for me b/c they never know what to make - im better off just making my own meals......im trying to lose weight now also so ive done my fair share of trying to psych out my brain and im constantly telling that inner voice to shut up already! ---- i guess the only story i have that might be worth sharing is when i finally became veg--- it was later in the day and i realized i hadnt eaten any meat all day and i told myself 'lets see how many days u can go w/out eating meat since u made it through this first day w/out even trying' --- well i havent had meat for over a year!!!
#3 Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes! I relate to everything in your post a million times over!

I've noticed that in the past month (woo hoo!) of being vegan my desire to binge had died out as well. I've had only a couple "incidents" and they weren't even real binges, so that's nothing to sneeze at. Because most of my trigger foods were dairy based I no longer "need" them to binge on because I have accepted that they are out of my life for good. It's not even an option to go back to them because I am very serious about not slipping up on my veganism, so with that, the desire for them just fades away with time. It's great for my poor brain, too, because now I have less food to agonize over, lol. I'm still eating way too much though, which is annoying the hell out of me...but that's another story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm not vegan, but I did used to always have the urge to binge. Then I started taking flaxseed oil, and suddenly the urges stopped!! Now I take it (almost) every morning, and I don't get urges anymore. Except when I forget to take it for a few days, then I start eating more again and I realize I've been forgeting. It's wierd, I don't know if it's something about flaxseed oil, or if it's that having an omega-3 deficiency can give you cravings? Either way, I've found something that works great for me, maybe you should try it and see if it works.
#5 Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Can you tell me -- how does one take flaxseed oil? Do you just put a teaspoon in your mouth (yuck?) or cook with it, or add to salad dressing, what do you do? Thanks! I just may try it and see if it works for me, too.
#6 Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwarrior View Post

Can you tell me -- how does one take flaxseed oil? Do you just put a teaspoon in your mouth (yuck?) or cook with it, or add to salad dressing, what do you do? Thanks! I just may try it and see if it works for me, too.

Well I think the taste of flaxseed oil it TERRIBLE, but I don't like taking 50 million pills, so what I do is I hold my nose and quickly drink a teaspoon of it, and while still holding my nose (while you're holding it you can't taste it at all!) drink something sweet or eat a pickle, or basiclly anything with a strong taste, then let go of your nose so all you taste is that thing you just drank/ate It works!

Oh and something else, for me at least it only works well if I take it in the morning(or shortly after I wake up, like with breakfast), if I take it at night I still tend to binge for some reason.
#7 Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Beginner

nm
#8 Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Beginner

I have been vegetarian for 7 years and recently became vegan. Can I ask you this: Why have you decided to become vegan? I noticed that in one of the other threads, someone stated that they were transitioning to vegan, and found it incredibly easy. They had decided to become vegan for moral and ethical reasons (not diet), and found it so much easier than trying to cut out foods for dietary reasons. I was a major cheese-aholic! I never thought I could become vegan because of my love for cheese. A fellow vegan reccommended I watch the video "Meet Your Meat". I did, and even my husband (a carnivore) decided to go vegan. I found that doing it for ethical reasons made it so much easier, and I haven't had a single craving or slip-up. I found an article on VB about pus in dairy products (which also made it a little easier). Now, I just think of that big, cheesy pizza as a load of pus. Let me know if you can't find the article, and I'll try to post it. The thought of puss in my food kinda ruins it for me, not to mention all of the cruelty and pain the animals have gone through (dairy industry supports veal industry, etc.)
#9 Old 10-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Beginner

A couple of other things....We all know how food based our society is. We live to eat. Food has always been one of my favorite pastimes! Since becoming vegan, I have learned to eat to live. Not to say that you can't enjoy what you eat. I love eating what I eat so much more now, and I feel so much better. You learn how to get really creative with your food. But, now, I notice that I enjoy everything else so much more. When I go out with friends to a restaurant, I can enjoy them so much more, and not focus so much on the food I'm eating. I notice that my senses have been heightened in other areas. Hope that helps!
#10 Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

so what I do is I hold my nose and quickly drink a teaspoon of it, and while still holding my nose (while you're holding it you can't taste it at all!) drink something sweet or eat a pickle, or basiclly anything with a strong taste, then let go of your nose so all you taste is that thing you just drank/ate.

I'll let you know how it goes when I try it, probably in a week or two when I get paid. I'll post on here and let you know if I was able to stomach it
#11 Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'll let you know how it goes when I try it, probably in a week or two when I get paid. I'll post on here and let you know if I was able to stomach it

Cool! Yeah let me know if it works, I know it has worked for a few other people I suggested it to.
#12 Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 AM

Hey bluegrrl, I took my first shot of flaxseed tonight. Uh... It's going to take some getting used to. The taste wasn't that bad, but I had a dill pickle ready as you suggested. I didn't really have time to taste it. What bothered me though was feeling the oil slide down my throat. Yuck. It was hard to get used to. So anyway, going to start taking a tbsp of flaxseed and of molasses starting today. I am also doing fitday which shows what nutrients I am lacking in everyday. I am learning alot there about nutrition and seeing what I lack in my diet. Interesting.
#13 Old 10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hey bluegrrl, I took my first shot of flaxseed tonight. Uh... It's going to take some getting used to. The taste wasn't that bad, but I had a dill pickle ready as you suggested. I didn't really have time to taste it. What bothered me though was feeling the oil slide down my throat. Yuck. It was hard to get used to. So anyway, going to start taking a tbsp of flaxseed and of molasses starting today. I am also doing fitday which shows what nutrients I am lacking in everyday. I am learning alot there about nutrition and seeing what I lack in my diet. Interesting.

Good I know also personally, when I was eating unhealthy, I had a LOT more urges to binge. What helps me is the flaxseed oil I mentioned, and also trying to eat healthy, and eating a bit low suger. I say a bit cause I'm not totally strict on it or anything, I just try to avoid things that are very sweet except for things like fruit and chocolate soy milk. That seems to help. Also I try to buy things in single serving packages, that way instead of digging into a bag of chips, you can have one packet of chips and know where to stop. I just feel it gives a better feeling of control.
#14 Old 10-31-2005, 07:41 PM

Hi, actually I do fitday now online (www.fitday.com) and I noticed when I added the flaxseed oil serving, it really made my daily intake of fat unbalanced! So I am concerned. I do not eat foods that have a high fat concentrate... so I am wondering if taking flaxseed oil everyday really IS good for you if my percentage of fat is so much higher than it has been! ... yes, I gave up all refined sugar and flour products when I became vegan, too, so not having those around has helped, but I still have my moments. Yesterday and today have been especially hard, maybe because of halloween and the fact that I used to be a sugar freak! But I'm doing alright, just it's been hard. But I wonder... I had heard it's good to keep the fat to 20% or less in one's diet everyday? I don't know if that is accurate, but if so, having the flaxseed really shot it up way above that.
#15 Old 11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hi, actually I do fitday now online (www.fitday.com) and I noticed when I added the flaxseed oil serving, it really made my daily intake of fat unbalanced! So I am concerned. I do not eat foods that have a high fat concentrate... so I am wondering if taking flaxseed oil everyday really IS good for you if my percentage of fat is so much higher than it has been! ... yes, I gave up all refined sugar and flour products when I became vegan, too, so not having those around has helped, but I still have my moments. Yesterday and today have been especially hard, maybe because of halloween and the fact that I used to be a sugar freak! But I'm doing alright, just it's been hard. But I wonder... I had heard it's good to keep the fat to 20% or less in one's diet everyday? I don't know if that is accurate, but if so, having the flaxseed really shot it up way above that.

Yeah taking it does up your fat intake, but it's definitly a healthy fat. You could try to cut down on fat in other parts of your diet, but not too much. The number is actually 30% or less, not 20%, does that help things? Plus look at it this way...if it does work, would your rather eat 40 extra calories from fat, or binge and end up eating hundreds? Plus all vegetarians are supposed to eat omega-3's anyway.
#16 Old 11-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Ok... it does help if it's 30% or less. The thing is I cut out refined sugar, refined carbs, and eat fat sparingly, with the flaxseed, it is almost seeming like I'd have to eat foods that have 0% fat in them like just vegetables! According to fitday, anyway. But I only have a day to go on, so I'll watch and see if I see a pattern. It's hard to see where the other fat is coming from if I've cut out so much already! LOL. I mean, I am even staying away from avocados. But yes, we need those omega-3's anyway. I read on the bottle that it's actually good for antioxidant factor too, which I didn't know.
#17 Old 11-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Beginner

depends on what you crave, plant foods can always satisfy the binge...

sweets-dates/grapes ('m eating dates right this moment...mmm sweet)

fatty-avocados/nuts&seeds

crunchy-banana chips/nuts&seeds

if u'r just afraid of eating too much, go to the library for the day and don't bring any money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page