Have you lost weight since becoming vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't remember well enough to answer my own question! Let's see, I went vegan for a while back in '99 and I know I lost some weight but I didn't have a scale back then so I can't be sure how much.

Currently I'm diving back into veganism, and it's only been a week or so since I've cut everything animal derived out of my diet, but I'm praying and hoping and wishing and crossing my fingers that I'll lose at least something noticable from the change alone. I'm being stupid and not exercising right now, but hopefully the combination of eating more healthy foods and cutting out high calorie/fat dairy will make up for it!

So what are your experiences with this? Have you lost weight by the diet change alone? How long did it take?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost weight when I moved to Albany. But I didn't when I cut out dairy/eggs. *shrugs*

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Ankle Biter

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you exercising? Are you too busy? I just know that it is so much of a help when you are trying to lose weight to get that extra metabolism boost that exercise brings. Since becoming "vegan" four months ago, I have not lost any weight (but I haven't been trying to either - my weight is fine). I can tell you that my skin is luminous - and I'm thrilled with that!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I read an interesting article on the Healthy Pages web-site today on this topic. It's from the American Journal of Medicine. The link is here:

http://www.healthypages.net/newsitem.asp?newsid=5280
#5 Old 09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

no, i've gained weight, but that's because i grew taller, and i've always been underweight.
#6 Old 09-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I gained weight, but now that I am exercising I am losing weight on a vegan diet.
#7 Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it depends on what you eat. I lost weight when I went veggie (until recently - but that's more age related.) But I have friends who gained weight when they went vegan because they ate a lot more carbs.
#8 Old 09-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

I think it depends on what you eat. I lost weight when I went veggie (until recently - but that's more age related.) But I have friends who gained weight when they went vegan because they ate a lot more carbs.

I was eating more dessert.
#9 Old 09-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost weight, BUT, I was starting a learn-to-run workout soon after going vegan. So I was eating a vegan diet, trying to eat healthily, and exercising 3 days a week.
#10 Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you exercising?

Blah! I mentally really want to start but it's hard for me to from out of nowhere begin doing something and stick to it day after day. Once I'm in the swing of things I find it very easy to continue, but it's the starting that always troubles me. I'm lazy! I'm not busy in the slighest-I don't have a job right now and no school or anything holding me down...it's all laziness, lol. *hides*

I must mention though, before I paint myself off as totally imobile, that I lost 65 lbs through diet and exercise about 2 years ago (though it seriously seems like just yesterday!) but I gained it all back, plus more! Ack! It was fun while it lasted, lol. I'm trying to pick up the pieces again now.

I'm thinking of starting a jump rope routine to start my exercise off. Sounds like fun and I've read *way* to many postive articles about it not to try it out. Anyway, back to being on topic.

I gained TONS of weight when I became a vegetarian (that was 6 years ago) because I loaded up on pasta, cheese, mayo, margerine, bread, etc. My eating habits got soooooo bad! Luckily I developed a fondness for veggies, fruit and whole grains somewhere in there, lol.

Oh goodness..

I

must

stop

rambling

#11 Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the link Diana

This quote made my day!! "The weight loss came despite the fact that the women were given no limits on their portion sizes or daily calories -- and despite the fact that the vegan diet boosted their carbohydrate intake."
#12 Old 09-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost a ton of weight when I first went vegetarian and gradually gained it all back, give or take a few, when I went vegan and I can't seem to get rid of any of it no matter what I do... actually, every few months or so, another 3 or 4 lbs will creep back on regardless of my activity level and watching my diet like a hawk.....
#13 Old 09-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost weight initially, about 70 lbs, but honestly veganism only helped because it caused me to concentrate moreso on my health. It made me feel good about myself, which in turn helped me stop overeating. In all honesty, the real reason I lost weight was because I stopped eating to cover my emotions. Now, I eat when I am hungry and only when I am hungry. It's a pretty sweet deal. It is hard to get out of the hate yourself/binge/feeling awful cycle. But, once you break free, it is like you are born again into a life that is worth living. Feel free to PM me anytime you feel like it or IM me at VeganBohemian.
#14 Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

And on a side note, you look really hot in your avatar...you don't look overweight.
#15 Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM

i had a total body transformation. one night i started reading about veganism, and went from the SAD to a moderately healthy vegan diet. then i found out that for your optimal human body, all you have to do is consume what plants offer you, not humans. they have very different motives.

for example: humans want money even if its a direct ratio to your sickness. fruit bearing plants, however, have a direct ratio to your well being. they make sweet tasting foods so an animal will take them, and spread their seeds. if they supply this animal with life-supporting nutrition, the animal will be a better specimen and spread more seeds.

also, being a better specimen has more to do with losing weight. it improves everything, from cognitive capability to physical stamina to better fingernails. for roughly 2 years of veganism, 1 of them being whole-food-veganism, ive lost ~55 lbs steadily and had a complete reformation of my view on the world. this includes a change of my appreciations, life goals, and has given me sustainable happiness.

i sincerely give the credit to veganism, a new-found passion for living creatures, and abstaining from human-modified foods!

hope you enjoyed my essay. oh, and definitely the hot avatar thing!

: ]
#16 Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybo View Post

i had a total body transformation. one night i started reading about veganism, and went from the SAD to a moderately healthy vegan diet. then i found out that for your optimal human body, all you have to do is consume what plants offer you, not humans. they have very different motives.

for example: humans want money even if its a direct ratio to your sickness. fruit bearing plants, however, have a direct ratio to your well being. they make sweet tasting foods so an animal will take them, and spread their seeds. if they supply this animal with life-supporting nutrition, the animal will be a better specimen and spread more seeds.

also, being a better specimen has more to do with losing weight. it improves everything, from cognitive capability to physical stamina to better fingernails. for roughly 2 years of veganism, 1 of them being whole-food-veganism, ive lost ~55 lbs steadily and had a complete reformation of my view on the world. this includes a change of my appreciations, life goals, and has given me sustainable happiness.

i sincerely give the credit to veganism, a new-found passion for living creatures, and abstaining from human-modified foods!

hope you enjoyed my essay. oh, and definitely the hot avatar thing!

: ]

I would love to hear more information about this Treybo!! Sounds very interesting. (The specimen stuff and about how you lost weight etc)

As for me, I went lacto veg in March and vegan in May until August - lost 20 pounds within that period - but since the beginning of Aug I have been slacking and went back to eating small amounts of dairy. so I guess I am lacto-veg, although I don't ever eat dairy directly....but still...

I really would like to be vegan again.

*Edited to add: As for exercise, I went for walks and did pilates a few times a week at home. My walks were about 20-30 mins, and at a moderate pace. With eating, I cut out alot of junk/fast food. I eat way more fruits and veggies than I ever have in my life though!
#17 Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your imput, CountessKerouac It made me think about something, that it would be so easy to overeat on breads and pasta and crap so long as it's vegan, but I think the whole lifestyle that surrounds veganism is based on a healthy, plant based diet, one that has structure and is full of nutrients. That is one big reason why I went back recently, because saying "ok, I'm not going to eat junk anymore because I want to be healthy and lose weight" just stopped working. Now I say to myself "ok, I want to choose healthy foods because I am passionate about my cause" and it works well because I have tangible reasons.

And yes, I am quite overweight. My highest was 240, then I got down to 175, but I gained it all back, and now I don't have a scale but I'm positive I'm at least 220. Barely any of my clothes fit me right now. And it's mostly all in my stomach which is so gross!

And my back and arms have tons of excess fat, so I have that very "soft", "jelly" like appearance and a huge double chin which I try desperately hard to hide in pictures. Whoops, probably TMI!...lol. Umm, anyway, thanks for saying I look hot. It blows my mind in so many ways I can't even tell you, lol.
#18 Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella View Post

I would love to hear more information about this Treybo!! Sounds very interesting. (The specimen stuff and about how you lost weight etc)

Yes, what she said! Very interesting indeed...
#19 Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I gained weight when I went vegan...and now I just eat whatever...but my weight sorta..stays the same now. I guess it could be my natural weight?

I am hoping to lose a couple of pounds though, one of these days.
#20 Old 09-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes I definately have. I think it's because now I eat mainly wholegrain rice and vegetables, fruit etc. I stay away from pasta and white bread and I don't use oils in cooking.

To be honest, I also put it down to giving up cheese and chocolate.

Since becoming vegan, I have also had more energy to excercise - my 20 minutes on the treadmill has become 40.
#21 Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Just my thoughts on pasta, seeing as it's brought up here. Pasta is not fattening. It's a slow sugar. Models (the anorexic kind) often eat only pasta for days on end. It's what one puts on pasta that is fattening.
#22 Old 09-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Banned

I'm not vegan at the moment but have been in the past. I put on about 7lb when I went vegan, but that's because I was eating a lot of rubbish and junk food. Doesn't help my willpower's rubbish. So if I wanted chocolate, when I was vegan the only option generally was a bar of Green and Blacks which you can often only find in 100g size - so that's the size of two 'regular' chocolate bars and I'd eat the lot! Likewise I would buy stuff from veganstore online and obviously I'd buy several packets of things to make an order worthwhile, but then I'd eat them all in about two days!

I'm sure if I'd have stayed vegan long term my weight would have evened out again once I'd got out my system that there was still 'fun' food I could have.
#23 Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I gained weight often after I went ovo-lacto: lots of cheese

I've lost 25 pounds now since going vegan and am still losing weight.
#24 Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

Cheese is BAD. But I remember it tasting sooo good.
#25 Old 09-30-2005, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Just my thoughts on pasta, seeing as it's brought up here. Pasta is not fattening. It's a slow sugar. Models (the anorexic kind) often eat only pasta for days on end. It's what one puts on pasta that is fattening.

I didn't know that. I have always associated it with being a BAD carb. Saying that, I really don't like pasta without anything on it...Thanks for the info anyway.
#26 Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post

Cheese is BAD. But I remember it tasting sooo good.

Kerby Lane in Austin served David's Enchiladas. Cheese-filled, swimming in cheese sauce, and heaped with shredded .... well, you know. I think it had eight or nine pounds of fat per order.
#27 Old 09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

I've lost 25 pounds now since going vegan and am still losing weight.

Ooooh, I want to be like you!!!
#28 Old 09-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

Ooooh, I want to be like you!!!

#29 Old 09-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I've gained a bit of weight because vegan food is so tastey.
#30 Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost and gained and lost and gained. The old game still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page