carb/protein/fat ratio - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 PM

I've been carefully watching what i eat these past few days, more strictly than even normally, and I think my food group ratios are out of whack.

I think I'm getting way too many carbs and not enough fats or proteins.

its about 80-90% carbs, i know vegan diets are higher in carbohysrates than other, say, omni diets but is this too high? am i neglecting my fats?

another thing, is I'm getting between 1000, 1500 calories a day and I'm walking three miles a day. I'm trying to loose weight but i haven't noticed any change yet. when will i likely see anything?

thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Carbs are goooooooood, especially if you are exercising regularly. Rather then trying to cut out carbs, you should focus on the quality of carbs you are eating - switch to wholegrain breads, cereals & pasta, brown rice etc. They contain more fibre, and make you feel fuller for longer, as well as keeping your blood sugar levels steady.

If you've only changed your diet and exercise in the last few days you won't notice any changes yet. It can take weeks. Remember, the quicker you lose weight, the quicker you will put it back on. Slow weight loss is healthier and more sustainable.
#3 Old 08-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

you should NEVER eat below 1200 calories a day no matter how big or small you are. it's just a sort of standard for starvation. so if you eat less than that, you are starving yourself.

further, if you are walking three miles a day and only eating 1500 calories you are probably stil not eating enough unless you're a 4 foot 10 in 100 pounder, and in that case you don't need to be losing weight.

and 80-90% of your calories coming from carbs is a bit high. are you SURe it's that high. if you're eating whole grains it probably isn't b/c they have a significant amount of protein. i would say add a bit more protein and fat. fat should be at least 20% of your diet. and then another 20% for protein and that will automatically bring you down to 60% carbs. which isn't bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 AM

thanks guys, normally, i don't eat less than 1200, but when i count, i can't be bothered to add stuff to my food diary so i just don't eat it :P not the greatest strategy. I have to show my food diary to my nutritionist anyway and she'll be all over me unless i get it higher, so I might as well get around to it. I just don't trust myself to eat the 1800 cals i should allegedly be consuming. If i add more fats and proteins, I imagine my caloric count wil go up without cutting out any carbohydrates, and lol i know carbs are good. I did the happy dance when atkins went bankrupt.
#5 Old 08-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried FitDay.com? I use it to check my ratios and also calcium and so forth. It helps out a lot. My carbs range from 50-70% per day because I try to keep fat 20-30% and protein at 20% minimum.
#6 Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Baby Love

You should aim for about 10-15% protein or 1gram per kg of your weight (2.2lb=1kg).

Fat should make up about 15-30%.

That leaves you with around 60-70% of your calories coming from carbohydrates.
#7 Old 08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Jinga, you seem to know about these things (you seem very knowledgeable); I was wondering, do you know...if I am reducing the amount of calories I am eating to lose excess weight, but still eating a healthy amount, should I am for the same percentages? Or should I try to keep my protein at about 15 regardless? It's just that since 1 gram per kilogram of my weight would be a huge percentage of my daily intake, I have to shoot for a lower amount...but 15% translates into ~half~ of the 1 g/kg; thus I figure I should up the percentage to 20.

Uh, anyway, if you don't know, that's cool. Just wondering.
#8 Old 08-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

Hey Jinga, you seem to know about these things (you seem very knowledgeable); I was wondering, do you know...if I am reducing the amount of calories I am eating to lose excess weight, but still eating a healthy amount, should I am for the same percentages? Or should I try to keep my protein at about 15 regardless? It's just that since 1 gram per kilogram of my weight would be a huge percentage of my daily intake, I have to shoot for a lower amount...but 15% translates into ~half~ of the 1 g/kg; thus I figure I should up the percentage to 20.

Uh, anyway, if you don't know, that's cool. Just wondering.

Well, it sounds like you may not be getting enough calories overall ... hence the upped protein ratio. This is pretty common with dieters. I'm no expert, but I'd say not to go much below 50g or more than 75g on most days.

I have a basic rule when it comes to this stuff ... When it doubt, pick a number in between!
#9 Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

you should aim for the same percentages, regardless of how many calories you're consuming. If you're consuming 1500 or 1800 or 2000 it's the same percentages.
#10 Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 PM

I am by no means an expert, but here are some things that I have noticed with myself that help me loose weight.

First off, you might simply try drinking more water. Believe it or not, simply drink more water helps me loose weight. (perhaps I retain water because I'm not drinking enough?)

Another tip I've found is simply eating more often throughout the day. I try to eat 4-6 "meals" adding up to around 1200-1500 calories. (I get too full, and cant seem to eat more then that, even when working out!) This raises your overall metabolism and you loose weight without even trying. Granted, you wont drop 10 pounds a week, but you should see it drop a couple each week. I dont feel I'm on a diet at all and am still loosing 2 pounds a week.

In regards to your main question about fats/proteins, nuts are a great source of both! I would try to eat more raw nuts or nut butters (I personally recommend almonds and dried raisins. YUMMY!). Nuts are also a great snack food, which helps me eat more often throughout the day, which thereby ups my metabolism.

Supposedly your body burns what it eats, so if you want to burn fat, try eating more fat from natural sources. I have the same breakdown as Kimberly in that try to keep my fat between 20%-30% total which consist of mostly whole foods and nuts, protein being at least 20% (tying to build more muscle and my carbs at around 50-70%. I also, like Kimberly, recommend fitday. Its a great FREE way to see what your eating! (Looks like Kim and I have allot in common

I hope that helps a little. Best of luck, and keep us updated with your progress!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page