Cutting out the junky food in your diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I've mentioned this before, so some of you might know allready: I just finished being a camp councailer for one month, and working at camp (even on a vegan diet) put me back into the junk food habit, so that I'm not only vegan, but a junky vegan foodest . I'm making a wild geuss that I'm not the only one who is now trying to get onto a healthier vegan diet (and get over the cravings for junky food) on veggieboards, so I wanted to make a thread where we could all share our strugles, tips and more!

My first major thing that I did today was buy a potatoe chip maker... ya, I'm still eating chips, but you don't add oil or anything other then potato, unless you want to. You can also make french fries in it, and if there's a party or something, then all you have to do is leave the chips in, add dip to the center tray, and set it out for everyone to enjoy. I figure that if I crave them, I'll just eat a healthier version of them. I'll try it out tomorow and write up a revew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Some slightly healthier junk food choices:

For salty cravings:

Rice crisps

Pretzels

Sprinkle some salt on raw potato slices (yes everyone seems to think this is gross but me)

For sweet:

Dried fruit

Licorice (stick to one or two: they have no fat but a lot of sugar. 1-2 should curb the craving)
#3 Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Fyvel: Licorice is yucky, but dried fruit is up near the top of the list, though I never thought to substitute it for sugary foods. I like non-dried fruit by it self, that's really good and most fruits are sweet. Pretzels are good, I should go buy a bag of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Now licorice is my big downfall, especially Nibs. I love the stuff. Dried fruit is so great to curb sugar cravings. I buy dried fruit bars for snacks as well. Very filling.
#5 Old 08-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh. I'd like to know how your chip maker works out. I'm addicted to the baked chips they sell in the stores now myself...
#6 Old 08-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

For sweet cravings, dried mangoes totally fit the bill. They are the sweetest dried fruit I've ever eaten. It feels so much like eating junk food I actually feel guilty for indulging in them at times...
#7 Old 08-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh I've never had dried mangoes, don't think I've ever seen them. Will have to look for them. I do love mangoes......
#8 Old 08-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

other than the potatoes and dried friut, i don't think the others were very healthy. but that's just me.

the best way to move off of things is either to find replacements that work for you or to do a weaning process.

my weaning process is quite simple. i choose one day a week where i'll allow myself whatever junk food i want--in single servings. That's it. if i want doughnut--it's a single serving. if i want frnech fries, it's a single serving. if i want soda, it's a small serving (1/2 can). I find that after a couple of weeks, i don't crave the foods anymore, so it's no problem.

my best replacements are as follows:

salty='salty salad'-- i take two heads of lettuce, one romaine and one red leaf. i cut them into ribbons. i take a white onion and chop it into bite size pieces. i take celery stalks and chop them into bite sized pieces. i take cucumber and slice it into bite sized pieces. i then add olive oil and sea salt. And i eat it over the course of about 2 hours. It cures *every* salt craving. it feels great and taste great. And it's crunchy!

sweet=coconut date rolls--i take dates and remove the pits. i stuff an almond or almond paste (home-made) into the pit. i roll them in coconut shavings. i can only eat two of these at a sitting, they're that rich. they work! great substitute for chocolate.
#9 Old 08-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

What on earth is a potato chip maker? I'm intrigued. So they're not fried?

I'm also in the process of replacing my old junk food snacks with healthy stuff. A few of my favourites: fresh medjool dates (tastes just like caramel), banana ice cream (toss in a food processor 2 sliced frozen bananas, 1/2 tsp vanilla, pinch of salt, drizzle of liquid sweetener, process till smooth and creamy - chopped nuts are optional), raw nuts (on their own of stuffed in dates).

Now I'm experimenting with savoury/salty stuff. I bought a jicama yesterday to make a jicama "french fries" recipe I found: http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Recipes/LiveFries.htm
#10 Old 08-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Beginner

There are these really great "carob chunks of energy" that you can get in the bulk section of most health food stores. They're filled with all sorts of good stuff - nuts, seeds, dried fruit...I love these, they taste like crunchy brownies. I suppose they're comparable to Clif bars.

Baked garbanzo beans! Be sure to season them first, curry works well.

Other simple things you can do is slice up some fruits and vegetables and keep them in sandwich bags in the fridge for when you want them, or leave a bowl of fruit out.
#11 Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Fyvel: I don't think raw potato slices are gross! i eat them all the time!
#12 Old 08-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like dried banana chips and dried sweet potato chips. Very yummy. They seem to cure both the salty and the sweet cravings. I just buy them at the grocery store. I don't know if you can make them homemade but I'm guessin' it's possible.

*I also like raw potato slices. Honestly, I haven't had them in forever. . .kinda forgot about it, but I remember eating them like crazy when I was little.
#13 Old 08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

other than the potatoes and dried friut, i don't think the others were very healthy. but that's just me.

Didn't intend to imply they were the best health choices one could make. But pretzels and rice crisps are healthier than chips. Hence the "slightly healthier".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats the raw potato - all my friends think I'm nuts!!!
#14 Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i've always loved raw potato. i just can't eat much of them.

and i see what you mean. i don't eat pretzels anyway. i never liked them. i do eat chips occassionally, but usually just make my own in the oven. it's really simple. thin slices, spray with olive oil, bake until crispy, and then toss with vinegar and sea salt.
#15 Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I also like to make what I call "pita chips", they're real easy. They are a good alternative to tortillas. Just brush pitas with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with whatever you want your topping to be, and bake in the oven until they're crisp. My favorite is with salt and chili powder. One of these days I am going to try sprinkling on some of that dill pickle popcorn seasoning I get at the theatre for dill pickle pita chips

*optional: before baking, cut into wedges.
#16 Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 AM

I've loved eating raw potatoes since I was a little kid.....just take 'em out of the bag, rinse 'em off, and start munching. Yummy!! Glad to know there are others who like this, because my family has always made me feel like a bit of a freak for it....lolol....
#17 Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post

I've loved eating raw potatoes since I was a little kid.....just take 'em out of the bag, rinse 'em off, and start munching. Yummy!! Glad to know there are others who like this, because my family has always made me feel like a bit of a freak for it....lolol....

How about raw turnips? I get this one from my mom, who usually grabs a few raw pieces when she's cooking it.
#18 Old 08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibean View Post

What on earth is a potato chip maker? I'm intrigued. So they're not fried?

I'm also in the process of replacing my old junk food snacks with healthy stuff. A few of my favourites: fresh medjool dates (tastes just like caramel), banana ice cream (toss in a food processor 2 sliced frozen bananas, 1/2 tsp vanilla, pinch of salt, drizzle of liquid sweetener, process till smooth and creamy - chopped nuts are optional), raw nuts (on their own of stuffed in dates).

Now I'm experimenting with savoury/salty stuff. I bought a jicama yesterday to make a jicama "french fries" recipe I found: http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Recipes/LiveFries.htm

How long do you freeze your banana ice cream for? I've tried making it with just blending banana and putting it in the freezer but it comes out rock hard and I never end up eating it...
#19 Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

i like shredded raw turnips and beets. . .or basicly any root veggie.
#20 Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Swab:

i freeze the bananas first, then add the ingredients, and it gets light and fluffy like ice cream. if you want it colder, put it in the fridge.
#21 Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, I eat it straight out of the processor. It should be the consistancy of soft-serve ice cream.
#22 Old 08-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Regarding pretzels and rice crisps I think pretzels might have more sodium than chips if it is the kind with visible salt. As for rice crisps I'm not sure how their sodium content is compared to chips. Pretzels and rice crisps are baked instead of fried though. However I consider both rice crisps and pretzels and chips junky food. So by replacing one junky food by another even if one is less healthy isn't cutting out the junky food in your diet.
#23 Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM

has anyone ever had raw corn on the cob?? I highly recomend it, its one of the sweetest vegetables ever before its cooked and adulterated with salt and butter *shudder* lol

i too, get the "you're a freak" thing from my family but i've been making headway, lol.

The weird thing is; aside from cereal, which i am rediculously addicted to, I don't eat very much junk. I used to be the biggest junkie for ice cream, but i went cold turkey on it, and pretty much every other piece of junk food. I just don't buy it and its not in the house. I stopped making vegan cookies and I don't eat the ones my mom makes/buys.

is it weird? having absolutely no craving for junk?
#24 Old 08-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that people who don't have junk food for a while some stop craving it. So I think it is normal. It doesn't work for everyone though. I've never had raw corn on the cob. What does it taste like? Is it hard? I like corn on the cob when it is soft and I find that butter/margarine makes it seem softer.
#25 Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 AM

lol, yeah its crunchy and sweet. it tastes a lot like peas fresh from the pod, which we had when we had a pea vine in our garden. we don't grow our own vegetables anymore because the squirrels eat everything. but peas fresh from the vine and raw corn were the greatest things ever...
#26 Old 09-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrotCake View Post

Regarding pretzels and rice crisps I think pretzels might have more sodium than chips if it is the kind with visible salt. As for rice crisps I'm not sure how their sodium content is compared to chips. Pretzels and rice crisps are baked instead of fried though. However I consider both rice crisps and pretzels and chips junky food. So by replacing one junky food by another even if one is less healthy isn't cutting out the junky food in your diet.

Unless you have a specific reason to be avoiding sodium (high blood pressure, kidney problems, etc), you don't really need to worry about taking in a little bit more. Healthy kidneys are actually quite good at removing excess sodium.

My personal opinion is that unless you are part of the 15-20% of the population that is salt sensitive, then pretzels are a much healthier snack than chips. There's not a whole lot of nutrition there, but if you're craving salt, it is a better option than chips. And you don't have to eat a lot to overcome the craving, just a handful should do it.

We have to remember that it shouldn't be about completely eliminating foods. Having pretzels (or yes even chips) every once in a while is fine. We just have to remember not to eat the whole bag in a sitting!!!
#27 Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 PM

My diet usually consists of 80-85% healthy food and 15-20% junk food. I'll never eliminate junk food out of my diet, as it's part of my life. If I would, in time my body would just rebel and that healthy percent above, would be the junk percent.

Cordially,

Josef
#28 Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post

My diet usually consists of 80-85% healthy food and 15-20% junk food. I'll never eliminate junk food out of my diet, as it's part of my life. If I would, in time my body would just rebel and that healthy percent above, would be the junk percent.

Cordially,

Josef

I'm the same. I find if I include small amounts into my diet, I am much less likely to binge on a whole bag of chips
#29 Old 09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Beginner

for salty, i think popcorn is good (without the butter)...if you need flavor, you can add a dash of salt or you can get creative with it. I really like to sprinkle nutritional yeast on it for a cheesy kind of taste.

For sweet, sometimes I do popcorn with cinnamon and a sprinkle of sugar (not too much)

Usually though, I just indulge a bit and eat whatever I'm craving but make up for it by eating everything else really healthy.
#30 Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 AM

my junk food cravings are not really that bad..for those times that i need something sweet.... i try a glass of fruit juice.. we get one here made with guava puree.. really rich..

salty.. if im craving chips i need to have it.. so i take a small amount... usually helps

fatty.. i go for avo with a vinegar dressing.. or a couple of slices of cheese <im lacto ovo>

chocolate... i buy a slab, and restrict myself to a row... and instead of chewing.. i let it melt in my mouth..works really better than chewing it.. 3 blocks melted, feels like youve had alot more than you actually have.

im luck that i really dont eat alot of junk food in the form of snacks.. but.. fries are my downfall.. i LOVE fries... so now i try have baked wedges.. with something like rosemary salt sprinkled on top.

salty.. licorice is good..

ooooo and raw corn on the cob.. YUMMY.. we get sweet pearl corn here.. which is a hybrid of white and yellow corn.. sweet... and crunchy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page