I want to gain more weight! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I became a l/o vegetarian in March 2004. Right away I gained about 5 lbs. and was thrilled because I have been stick thin all my life and was happy to gain some weight! However, since I gained that 5 lbs. I haven't gained anymore weight and I was wondering if there are any other skinny veg*ns here who have some tips as to how to gain a little weight. Currently, I weight 110 lbs. and am 5' 8". Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

If I were in your position, I would eat all the nut butter, avocados, olive oil and soy delicious that was available.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 07-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I was trying to gain some weight recnetly and I chowed down on banana bread and pb sandwiches like no tommorow...that should do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Might want to also add some freeweight lifting, since it's often better to add pounds in muscle than only fat. Unless, of course, you already are doing that and are suffering the effects of too little body fat, which is why you're trying to gain.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I highly recommend consuming a balanced diet, but a high-calorie one.

Don't just eat a lot of foods that are high-fat just because they are energy-dense...I did that and it backfired to an incredible extent. The high-fat weight-gain 'diet' made me feel sick to my stomach at times..it was simply very rich, at times greasy, and not that healthy for my body. The high-fat foods I was consuming were olive oil, canola mayo, cheese, whole milk dairy products, challah bread, nut butters, avocados, nuts, and seeds.

After three months on this high-fat-weight-gain-diet, I began to CRAVE FAT..constantly. The more I ate, the more I would crave. After realizing that I was consuming upwards of 70% of my daily calories from fat, I knew it had to stop..I was killing myself, even though the fats were basically "healthy" ones. I lowered my fat intake and after some withdrawals (intense cravings for fatty foods and the texture/taste/mouth-feel of fat), I felt so much better physically and mentally.

I replaced the high-fat intake with liquids. Soy milk, yogurt drinks, 100% juice, smoothies, Ensure, etc. I still eat high-fat foods, just not in excessive amounts like I was before.

I now have a pretty much balanced diet of about 30% calories from fat, 10% calories from protein, and 60% calories from carbs. Most of my carbs are those that are complex (whole grains), but some are simple (sugar, juice, honey, jams, flavored yogurts, etc).

Once I reach a healthy weight, I will simply lower or completely stop (whichever is needed) my intake of caloric liquids and extra additions (such as honey, jams, condiments, spreads, etc).

However, everyone is different. You might be fine with a high-fat diet, but I don't recommend it. Ensure does taste kind of nasty, so you probably want to avoid that as long as you aren't dangerously underweight. If you add 1 tbsp of nut butter and 1 cup of 100% juice to your daily intake (not a lot of food..very easy to do), that would add about 250 healthy calories/7 grams of healthy fat/ 10 grams of protein/30 carbs daily. That would translate to about a 0.5 lb gain per week..which is 2 lbs per month..or about 24 lbs a year.
#6 Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I am quite thin, but it is genetics and there is very little I can do about it. I mainly concentrate on just maintaining my weight since yeah..obviously a bad thing to lose any. If I notice I am losing weight or if I'm doing lots of exercise, I eat: peanut butter, soy delicious ice cream, different cheeses, avocados, handfuls of almonds/trail mix throughout the day and the occasional choclate bar (yes it's junk but it's extra calories). I just added these things to an already balanced diet.

Also, at my previous job I got a lot of cardio exercise, so I gorged myself on carbs so I wouldn't lose muscle mass. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do but it seemed to work. Also, something else you can try, if you aren't gaining fat, is to try and gain muscle weight, since it weighs more than fat. I tried that for a while and I think it kind of helped. Sometimes there's only so much you can do, though. Good luck

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#7 Old 07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Eat all the avocado's in the world with equal part salt, Soy Delicious,PB/Pita/Jam sandwiches and Tofu you can fit inside of you.

Lift weights like you want to destroy yourself. Repeat.

Cheers.
#8 Old 07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent advice! I should have mentioned though, that I am lactose-intolerant.
#9 Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 PM

soymilk, the full fat kind....

high-calorie breakfast cereals (think GRANOLA) in large quantities!
#10 Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I would think that eating peanut butter, nuts, carbs such as bread, muffins, pasta and rice should help. Drink drinks such as juice and milks. That way you can be healthier than eating lots of junk food to gain weight. As someone already mentioned, granola would be an awesome choice. Think Harvest Crunch.
#11 Old 07-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5' 10" and have weighed around 133 for over 10 years. The most I ever weighed was 145 when I was lifting weights like mad in college and eating as much as I could of the college cafeteria food. I lost that muscle mass shortly after leaving college and becoming a starving musician.

Recently, a year ago I enrolled to a gym and began working out again. I always dreamed that I could gain muscle mass then let it turn to fat, but it will never happen for me. Anyway, I did get up to around 148 or so by going to the gym 3 times a week boxing and lifting weights.

I would eat after each exercise (you have to eat ASAP after working out to make it work right!) a big fat burrito with real gaucamole, red beans, cheese, roasted red peppers, and rice with a side of fresh green salad and jalepeno cornbread. This worked wonders. So much good caloric intake. I gained pounds in weeks.

I got busy with my life and after going to Germany for a few weeks didn't get back in to my workout schedule and never returned. As a result, I've lost all that I fought for.

The point really is this. If you have a high metabolism, you might be like me, fighting to gain weight when everyone is fighting to lose it. I went to the gym to gain weight, others to loose it. Most stop working out and gain weight, I stop and loose weight.

I still work out, but only at home, but really, some people just can not gain weight. I'm one, are you?

Oh yes, and eat some various nuts for a snack often.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#12 Old 07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never really been able to gain weight. I try and try and try. I've been eating a peanut butter sandwich everyday. Oh my gosh, they're so good!
#13 Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

I eat a peanut butter sandwich every day when I am trying to lose weight

Dosh and Blue got the idea; they both are speaking from experience. I also was able to gain a large amount of weight, but I didn't do it the vegetarian way, so no point to post how I did it.
#14 Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I gained 1.5 lbs.!

Whoo hoo!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page