Flax Seed? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been reading a lot about Flax seed on here, and I want to try some to get those Omega 3s. I've tried to search about it in previous posts but I haven't found anything. Here are my questions:

What kind should I buy? I want to put it on some foods like cereal/applesauce etc.

Do I have to do anything to it, someone said you should grind it, but I want to know if I can eat it just the way it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You have a few choices, but the most economical and nutritional one is as follows:

Buy whole flax seeds at the health food store. They'll last for an indefinite, long time if you buy them whole and keep them in the fridge. If you don't already have a coffee grinder, you can buy a small one by Black & Decker for about $13.95 at Kmart or a place like it. You MUST grind the flax seeds to get any nutritional benefit from them. The whole seeds will pass right through you. Each day, grind 1-2 TBSP (someone correct me if my quantitiy is wrong), and eat it however you'd like. Some suggestions are to add it to cold cereal, add it to oatmeal after you've cooked it, mix it into a nut butter for a sandwich, add it to smoothies, and so on. The Omega 3's break down under high heat, so it's recommended that you don't cook with them, but there's a debate as to whether or not it's safe to bake with them.

Also, the color of the seeds doesn't matter.

I hope this helps!
#3 Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You answered all my questions! Thanks so much for your expertise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 AM

I ususally buy the golden flax seeds in bulk at Whole Foods and grind them myself. I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the golden and the darker ones. Anybody know for sure?
#5 Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfedster View Post

I ususally buy the golden flax seeds in bulk at Whole Foods and grind them myself. I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the golden and the darker ones. Anybody know for sure?

there are some small differences, but it doesn't really matter. i've read that the brown ones have a stronger flavor. my experience has been the opposite.

here's a comparison of the oil content of canadian brown flax seeds with that of golden flax: http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/Vegetarian...r%20Golden.htm
#6 Old 06-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Beginner

So eating whole flax seeds has no benefit? Darn...I've been eating them that way for months!
#7 Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Beginner

yah most seeds are largely indigestible unless ground or chewed very well... nature's purpose was for when the animal eating the fruit consumed the fleshy portion for nutrients the seed would be unharmed in the digestive process and then disposed of to sprout a new plant...
#8 Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Can WHOLE flax seeds be stored in a cupboard, or do they have to be refrigerated? And do they need to be tightly sealed? Thanx.

P.S. Is it more or less effective in oil form? Seems like storage would be easier.
#9 Old 06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Beginner

whole flax seeds don't need to be refridgerated, just when ground... tightly sealed? maybe when ground, again. More EXPENSIVE in oil form and tastes vile... personally, i prefer the seeds, but if you can stomach motor oil, maybe you can handle flax oil
#10 Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfedster View Post

the golden ones have a bit more protein and a bit more omega 3 fatty acid. I don't know if there's a taste difference because I can only find the brown here.
#11 Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator

I have the golden and keep it in the freezer. Usually add it to smoothies whenever I have one.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 07-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Beginner

uh. how can you ground flax seeds? do i need special equptment for that. or can i just crush them with a spoon?
#13 Old 07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Administrator

I think most people do it in a coffee grinder. I've never done it though so I'm not positive.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stey View Post

uh. how can you ground flax seeds? do i need special equptment for that. or can i just crush them with a spoon?

Definately go for the coffee grinder . You can get a mini-one at places like Target for about 20 bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page