hmmmm... (will I gain weight on a vegetarian diet) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering: will becoming a vegetarian make me gain weight? I see all these posts from people who are vegetarians already (remember: I'm almost a vegetarian...almost, key word) and they're saying that they've gained weight or such and such.

Thanks,

Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Basically some people do, some people don't. We are all different. Just because you've read a lot of posts on here with people saying they did gain weight doesn't mean that everyone does.

I lost a little, but then pretty much went back to what I was
#3 Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Cade View Post

I was wondering: will becoming a vegetarian make me gain weight? I see all these posts from people who are vegetarians already (remember: I'm almost a vegetarian...almost, key word) and they're saying that they've gained weight or such and such.

Not unless you take in more calories then you burn. The thing you mentioned does happen. My guess is that it is a matter of people not knowing what the good portion sizes are for them with foods they do not have a lot of experience with.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost about 20lbs after I went l/o veg. Then another ten later. Everybody's different. Keep track of your calories, and you shouldn't gain weight. I find it makes it easier to say no to things that'll cause me to gain weight.. like burgers and a lot of pastries. There are pitfalls, but don't replace meat with cheese or other fatty things and you should do fine.
#5 Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

There is a higher percentage of fat omnivores than fat vegetarians so you're more likely to lose weight than gain weight. Like Steve said, weight gain/loss depends on the calorie intake verses the calories burn. You shouldn't gain weight unless you consume more calories than you burn.

You have control over both of these things. You can raise the calories burnt by getting more exercise. You can decrease the calorie intake by eating less or lower calorie foods. There are lots of low and high calorie vegetarian foods to choose from. With the change in diet, if you find yourself gaining or losing more than you want then you can adjust your diet/life style.

When I became vegetarian it didn't change my weight at all.
#6 Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

"There is a higher percentage of fat omnivores than fat vegetarians so you're more likely to lose weight than gain weight"

Wouldn't that be because in the west vegetarians are a minority?

And yeah, everyone is different. Vegetarians tend to eat more energy-dense foods such as grains and pulses which usually are not as filling as meat. It all depends on how you are substituting.
#7 Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the new veggies who gain weight so it because we (people in general) have a tendency to stick with what we know. So we eliminate meat but add more cheese and other dairy products. Or we rely too heavily on vegetarian convenience foods (boca burgers, Morning Star Farms Corn Dogs ...) which add more calories and fat to what should be a lower calorie and lower fat dietary intake.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#8 Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"There is a higher percentage of fat omnivores than fat vegetarians so you're more likely to lose weight than gain weight"

Wouldn't that be because in the west vegetarians are a minority?

I didn't make myself clear. I'm refering to the percentage of omnivores out of all the omnivores verses the percentage of vegetarians out of all the vegetarians not the percentage of both of these out of the whole population.

I would say that people don't gain or loose weight when becoming vegetarian because of becoming vegetarian. They gain or loose weight because when they become vegetarian they make changes in their diet. When you make any changes you may consume fewer or more calories and the calories consumed verses calories burnt balance may change. You're more likely to loose weight though because meat is a high calorie food and most people have less energy-dense diets as vegetarians. But, of course, it depends upon what you eat because there are energy dense vegetarian foods. And some people might eat more or less when becoming vegetarian and that would affect the balance.

What people drink can make a large difference too. Some people change what they drink when becoming vegetarian/vegan. Some people might change from drinking whole milk (which has a a considerable amount of calories) to fruit juice (which has fewer calories) or plain tea (which has almost no calories).
#9 Old 03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

"I didn't make myself clear. I'm refering to the percentage of omnivores out of all the omnivores verses the percentage of vegetarians out of all the vegetarians not the percentage of both of these out of the whole population."

Oh ok, just out of curiosity where did you get the stats for this? And did you mean vegetarians globally or just in first world nations? I'm interested =)
#10 Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I did gain weight when I went vegetarian because, like it's been mentioned above, I ate more cheese and still ate all the bad stuff like chips and sweets. Now that I've eliminated dairy and eggs, I've found that I've lost weight, which for me is a good thing. I think it's all about healthy eating and not so much about eating or not eating meat.
#11 Old 04-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

"I didn't make myself clear. I'm refering to the percentage of omnivores out of all the omnivores verses the percentage of vegetarians out of all the vegetarians not the percentage of both of these out of the whole population."

Oh ok, just out of curiosity where did you get the stats for this? And did you mean vegetarians globally or just in first world nations? I'm interested =)

I don't have any real evidence but I would guess that what Kyo said is true because I hear a lot more about people losing weight when switching to veg*ism than gaining weight.

Anyway yeah it just depends what you eat and how much you eat. I'd guess it's usually just as easy to gain weight as a vegan since animal products aren't the only fattening things you can eat (like you can eat vegan things like avocados, vegetable oils, nuts, which are at least somewhat high in fat/calories so they can put on weight as well)
#12 Old 04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here's a really good source.

Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitions of Canada: Vegetarian Diets

It is very recent: written in 2003. I tried to copy and paste from the document but copy was dissabled in the PDF viewer for that document. And there is more than I'm willing to type in so you'll have to click on the document and look at page 9. Look under the heading:

Vegetarian Diets and Chronic Disease

Obesity

They list several studies on the subject and the vegetarian groups in the studies had lower BMIs than the omnivore groups. BMI (body mass index) is an indication of fatness so they are saying that the omnivore groups were fatter than the vegetarian groups. This paper was written about North Americans but I'm sure this would hold true anywhere in the world. Actually, in many places in the world people eat less meat and the diets of vegetarians and omnivores are probably more alike.
#13 Old 04-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah a lot of people go veg without researching into what their new dietary needs will be and turn to junk foods to fill them up. they end up gaining weight and getting health problems and sometimes decide being veg is unhealthy and go back to omni.

if you look into what you need to eat to be healthy before or during the switch to veg and keep at it i'm sure you'll be fine. and make sure you're eating enough right off the bat cause suddenly decreasing your food intake can shock your body into storing more fat

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 04-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh ok, thanks for the link. I was mainly curious because I wasn't sure if you meant it as a global comparison as generally other factors come in to it with those "forced" into mainly vegetarian diets as they are often also malnourished or less sedentary so may have a lower BMI if you get where I'm coming from.

But vegetarians have a lower body mass does generally make sense, especially for vegans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page