Figured out how to cut down on my binging! Try it :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok I figure a lot of you probably already take this because of the omega-3's, but: A little while ago I noticed I was eating junk food every night, and it was really upsetting me. I bought a bottle of flaxseed oil pills cause I hadn't taken flaxseed in awhile due to laziness...well, as soon as I started taking it every morning, I stopped!! Weird huh? So now I take it every morning, and it has greatly reduced my night eating. Except I notice that if I forget to take it in the morning and I take it at dinner instead, I still eat crap at night. Hmm. But anyway, just thought I'd share this if anyone didn't take flaxseeds/flaxseed oil, and had binging problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2005, 12:11 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

Hey cool, I'm going to try this. I have some but I accidentaly got it in capsules, so it freaks me a bit, but I figure I may as well use it up.
#3 Old 01-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

cool- yet another good reason to take some omega-3's !

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to take flaxseed oil, but inconsistently. I really do need to get flax into my diet or supplements on a consistent basis. I noticed that whenever I'd get a really strong seacritter craving, having a tablespoon of the oil helped. I wouldn't take it right when I was craving the seacritters, but those cravings would last a few days, and the flax seemed to help within half a day or a day.
#5 Old 01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought it was just my amazing willpower that I wasn't eating a ton at night but now that you mention it, I've been sprinkling ground flax on my cereal in the morning and I haven't been snacking at night at all.

Cool!
#6 Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 PM

A company called "Health From the Sun" makes a 100% veg capsule that you can find about a dozen places online. This is the cheapest one I've found : http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Produc...&source=incept

It's what I take. I was having quite a bit of trouble with an old foot injury and flax oil has seemed to clear it right up, for whatever reasons.
#7 Old 01-21-2005, 05:18 PM

I think it works because flax has EFAs in it, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Fat is satiating, so it causes you to eat less.

Also, some recommendations: buy ground flax seed (or grind your own in a coffe maker thing) and put it in yogurt, shakes, etc. Or, I also use it in baking as an egg replacer- 1 Tablespoon of flax with 3 Tablespoons of water will replace one egg.
#8 Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend told me about a study that he read (sorry I don't have a citation) where the study group added two tablespoons of flaxseed oil to their diet on a daily basis and over a year's time they lost an average of ten pounds vs. a control group that ate the same diet minus the flaxseed oil. One more reason to make sure we have our flax.
#9 Old 01-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by atterdag View Post

I think it works because flax has EFAs in it, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Fat is satiating, so it causes you to eat less.

Also, some recommendations: buy ground flax seed (or grind your own in a coffe maker thing) and put it in yogurt, shakes, etc. Or, I also use it in baking as an egg replacer- 1 Tablespoon of flax with 3 Tablespoons of water will replace one egg.

Personally I need to use the oil because I can't digest flax seeds well due to digestive problems. But to anyone else, ground flaxseeds is great too!
#10 Old 01-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the urge to overeat is overwhelmingly driven by nutritional deficiencies. Our bodies know we need more of something, but what? So we overeat, trying and failing to satiate our need for nutrients.

I'm so happy that worked for you, bluegrrrl! And it'll encourage me to keep eating my 2 tablespoons of ground flax a day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page