I love cookies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2004, 07:13 PM

HI, I just started college and my main goal was to lose weight. Well, 4 months later I have lost 10 pounds but the cravings have started to kick in. I've been a vegeatrian for a 5 months now and it's getting hard eating at the dining halls. I usually eat a salad and some grain but its an all you can eat place so its hard to pass by the desert area. I've been doing rly well but I'm wavering a little now. I'm paying my way through college so I need some cheap alternatives. I bought some dried food but it has a lot of sugar which can't be to healthy. I like to eat fruit but all they have are bannanas or apples. I need some foods that will fill me up and keep me satisfied. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2004, 04:21 PM

burritos! rice (super cheap, get the largest bag you feel you can afford)! PO TA TOES !
#3 Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I love cookies too, one of my favorite foods along with pumpkin pie Yeah when I stopped eating them I lost weight a lot easier but I decided to try making my own so I could control the amount of fat in it. I tried to substitute applesauce and bananas for the fattening butter/oil but I got scared cause the next day some black things started to appear in the moist cookies and I wasn't sure what they were. The same thing happened when I tried making them again, this time putting them in the fridge. Now I found a recipe for low fat chocolate chip cookies using canned pumpkin instead (?) so I'm going to try that. (Of course they'd be even less fattening without the choco chips) If you can make your own cookies that's a good way to find out how to be able to enjoy them while not consuming so much fat. Other than that I guess just drinking a lot of water and just anything that's low fat/ small portions helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Why not try to portion control the cookies, say 1 a week, and only after you've eaten something healthy. If you love cookies you should still be able to have a cookie now and then, just not 10 cookies every meal or anything.

I think knowing you're "allowed" to have a cookie now and then would help curb cravings for the "forbidden"

As far as cheep food, your health food store is sure to have bulk bins FULL of cheep healthy food, go see what they have!
#5 Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM

The best filling snack in the world is a fruit and yogurt parfait. You get a bowl, any kinds of fruits you want, plain yogurt, and granola. All you have to do is layer them. It is yummy, easy, fast, cheap, and filling. And it is not fattening because I started to eat it when I was trying to lose weight. It helps.
#6 Old 11-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess so, if Pigeon is just vegetarian and not vegan...that stuff was yummy you're talking about the one from McDonalds right..
#7 Old 11-02-2004, 12:52 PM

you have to be careful, though. some granolas are very high in calories and may have added sugar.
#8 Old 11-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spehlbaund View Post

I guess so, if Pigeon is just vegetarian and not vegan...that stuff was yummy you're talking about the one from McDonalds right..

I thought she was talking about homemade. The McDonald's one is pretty clearly NOT a healthy choice.

Canned bean soups that you can heat up in the microwave would be good for you, if you have a microwave available.
#9 Old 11-02-2004, 03:45 PM

The canned stuff has a lot of added preservatives that are definitely fattening...I think you should stick to fresh fruits and vegetables...Can't go wrong. I had no idea Mcdonalds had one...I don't eat out at those kind of places much. Fresh stuff is great .
#10 Old 11-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy's canned soups have no preservatives.

You gotta compromise when you're in college. Fresh fruits and veggies are great, but you can't live by them alone. Some filling convenience foods are a must.
#11 Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Molly. Filling convenience foods ARE a must -- plus, the added warmth will keep you more satisfied. Amy's brand soups (and other foods by that company, for that matter) are delish! If you're watching your weight still, check out the Fat Free Vegetable Barley.
#12 Old 11-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice (and eat your vitamins)

go to the asian food store and you can find flavoring packets to make flavored rice balls, get some nori to wrap them in two. look for ways to dress rice up so you don't get bored with it (legumes, spices, sauces).

I love cookies too [runs off to make cookies]

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#13 Old 11-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

haha I just made some more cookies too... pumpkin/chocolate chip About the yogurt parfait thing, I forgot that the original poster is looking for things that aren't fattening, I was thinking just something filling (I think that was another thread). I haven't checked how much fat/calories is in that thing...
#14 Old 11-04-2004, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

just made some chocolate chip cookies (Andes mint chips)

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page