• 1 Post By Citrus333
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Citrus333
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan

Quote:
Fad diets come and go, but a whole-foods, plant-based diet is one to stick with for the long-term.

Similar to a dietary medusa, the ketogenic diet has emerged in the vacuum left by the fading popularity of other low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets such as the Paleo and Atkins diets. Sporting a new name but an unoriginal weight-loss strategy, the ketogenic diet calls for its followers to spurn carbohydrates in favor of eating high-fat and high-protein foods such as meat, eggs, and cheese—all of which are unhealthy. The ketogenic diet has the same allure of many fad diets that promise quick weight loss, but these diets also brings with them numerous health risks about which all dieters should know. So, instead of going keto, dieters should consider adopting a whole-foods, plant-based diet to lose weight while avoiding an ever-growing list of health concerns.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?...=10995&catId=5
Mr. H. and taylorruth like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Vegan is much healthier than keto.
#3 Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, you know, wasn't there a thread on pet peeves or something. At the time I couldn't think of one. But now....
It does annoy me that so many people have been hoodwinked by keto and paleo.
David3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 PM

I sort of agree about these diet fads, but...

I know two people with different cancers who swear by keto. I forget the details, but they say there's some good evidence that it's helpful for cancer patients. ::

I guess I've gotten to the age where I figure whatever works, works. At least keto is what it says it is. Paleo is just stuff someone made up and isn't much like what our ancient ancestors ate in the paleolithic age.
Mr. H. likes this.
#5 Old 06-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus333 View Post

I know two people with different cancers who swear by keto. I forget the details, but they say there's some good evidence that it's helpful for cancer patients. ::

I guess I've gotten to the age where I figure whatever works, works. At least keto is what it says it is. Paleo is just stuff someone made up and isn't much like what our ancient ancestors ate in the paleolithic age.

There is some evidence that ketogenic diets may assist with cancer treatment, although the American Cancer Society hasn't yet made any statement regarding these diets.

A ketogenic diet that is high in saturated fats would likely be risky. The American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, the Alzheimer's Association, the World Health Organization of the United Nations, and other mainstream health organizations recommend that people replace dietary saturated fats with unsaturated fats.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...10_Article.jsp

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-diabetes.html

http://blog.alz.org/dietary-saturate...of-alzheimers/

http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Mr. H. and taylorruth like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
#6 Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Paleo isn't even what it says it is. First thing is its name. There were no cavemen in the Paleozoic era. They lived in the Cenozoic. Same as us.
#7 Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
Paleo isn't even what it says it is. First thing is its name. There were no cavemen in the Paleozoic era. They lived in the Cenozoic. Same as us.
Ha! Good point! Thanks for a very timely reminder.
Mr. H. likes this.
#8 Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
There is some evidence that ketogenic diets may assist with cancer treatment, although the American Cancer Society hasn't yet made any statement regarding these diets.
True, but I don't trust the ACS as far as I can throw the entire organization.

Quote:
A ketogenic diet that is high in saturated fats would likely be risky. The American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, the Alzheimer's Association, the World Health Organization of the United Nations, and other mainstream health organizations recommend that people replace dietary saturated fats with unsaturated fats.
That's true for healthy people, and nothing most of us don't already know, but if I had cancer, I'd sure be looking into every option. People with normal iron levels and whose bodies utilize iron properly should not take the doses of iron that I have to take. My high dosage would be harmful to iron-healthy people. I think it would be interesting to see independent studies about how different fats affect people with different illnesses, particularly cancers. So I tend to lean toward the clear possibility that a ketogenic diet might just be helpful for some people with some cancers.

I know one thing: In general, I don't trust Big Medicine or Big pHARMa.
#9 Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

That's true for healthy people, and nothing most of us don't already know, but if I had cancer, I'd sure be looking into every option. People with normal iron levels and whose bodies utilize iron properly should not take the doses of iron that I have to take. My high dosage would be harmful to iron-healthy people. I think it would be interesting to see independent studies about how different fats affect people with different illnesses, particularly cancers. So I tend to lean toward the clear possibility that a ketogenic diet might just be helpful for some people with some cancers. .

I agree. It's just that popular (as opposed to professional peer-reviewed) ketogenic diet websites tend to claim that saturated fats are good for you, and I wanted to make sure that people were aware that this claim is very likely false.

A ketogenic diet can be based on healthy unsaturated fats, rather than on saturated fats. This peer-reviewed study, presented in the April 2004 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, found that ketogenic diets (which have been used for almost a century as part of the treatment of epilepsy) produced potentially-harmful cardiovascular side-effects when these diets were rich in saturated fats. The study instead recommends unsaturated fats: https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/4/1641/2844241

Unsaturated-fat-rich foods include avocados, flax seeds, and certain kinds of nuts. Saturated-fat-rich foods include butter, cheese, full-fat milk, fatty meats, and tropical oils: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti.../types-of-fat/
Mr. H. likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization

Last edited by David3; 06-07-2018 at 08:09 PM.
#10 Old 06-25-2018, 02:04 AM

I totally agree with you - saturated fats cause damage. Thus, every diet plan based on it is unhealthy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page