Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Sugar

Check out: "That Sugar Film"

Official Trailer:

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I've quit adding cane sugar to all the cups of coffee and tea that I drink and I've managed to do that without depriving my sweet tooth. I now add stevia to those beverages. Stevia is a 0-calorie sweetener that is extracted from the leaves of a natural plant. This plant is native to South America.

When I buy stevia, I prefer the SweetLeaf brand because their products are all-natural. SweetLeaf's stevia also has a non-glycemic response. That means that it is safe to be consumed by people who have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

Check out: www.sweetleaf.com

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Ger Jonker; 11-16-2017 at 08:47 AM.
#3 Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Zevia makes carbonated beverages sweetened with stevia.

Check out: www.zevia.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners. Zevia tasted horrid. I also taste cilantro like soap!!!

Another good read is the book "Salt, Sugar, Fat" on the marketing of gluttony and disease.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 11-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=silva;4111784]Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners.[/QUOTE

silva, stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener. It is derived from the leaves of a real plant. The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.

#6 Old 11-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=Ger Jonker;4111808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners.[/QUOTE

silva, stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener. It is derived from the leaves of a real plant. The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.
I'm well aware of that, I even had a stevia plant! I meant it tastes just like artificial sweeteners to me. It has the same kind of chemical taste nutrasweet has - for me, even just small amounts.
The fresh leaves were better, but still not good.
Spudulika likes this.

#7 Old 11-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Instead of making my coffee and tea sweet, I eat something naturally sweet, like fruit and chase it with the coffee or tea. That way, the drink is a nice contrast to the sweet taste of the fruit. Eventually, your tastes will change and you will stop expecting things like coffee and tea to taste so sweet.
#8 Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Urielska Send a message via Yahoo to Urielska
Quote:
Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners. Zevia tasted horrid. I also taste cilantro like soap!!!

Another good read is the book "Salt, Sugar, Fat" on the marketing of gluttony and disease.
Hey Silva,
I expected more from Stevia, too but it really just tastes like Aspartam...
#9 Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Oryzatarian

[quote=Ger Jonker;4111808]
Quote:
...The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.
They've also been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years...
#10 Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=silva;4111812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
I'm well aware of that, I even had a stevia plant! I meant it tastes just like artificial sweeteners to me. It has the same kind of chemical taste nutrasweet has - for me, even just small amounts.
The fresh leaves were better, but still not good.
I didn't say that, someone quoted me and put their words in my quote! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urielska View Post
Hey Silva,
I expected more from Stevia, too but it really just tastes like Aspartam...
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

#11 Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

[quote=Auxin;4113866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
They've also been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years...

I'm not a fan of stevia. Nevertheless, here are the United Nations World Health Organization's findings on stevia safety:

The United Nations World Health Organization has found that a daily intake of 4 mg of steviol glycosides per kilogram of body weight, for up to 4 weeks, has shown no adverse effects (see pages 183 to 219 of their report: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...660600_eng.pdf )

For a 110 lb. (50 kg) person, the UNWHO's findings translate to a maximum daily intake of 200 mg of steviol glycosides (for up to 4 weeks). Because steviol glycosides are 150 times sweeter than sugar (https://link.springer.com/article/10...:1008134420339 ), 200 mg of steviol glycodes are considered to be equivalent to 30 grams (about 7 U.S.-standard packs) of sugar.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-30-2018 at 12:07 PM.
#12 Old 01-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Oryzatarian

Oh, I didnt say stevia was bad. It might not be. I just like to poke out my tongue when people resort to the noble savage argument to justify their actions
#13 Old 07-02-2018, 04:40 AM

As for me I just can't drink my coffee without adding some sugar. It's pity. Addiction maybe) But what about tea things are much better - no sugar and OK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page