VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Diets & Losing Weight (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/)
-   -   Sugar (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/227580-sugar.html)

Ger Jonker 11-16-2017 08:03 AM

Sugar

Check out: "That Sugar Film"

Official Trailer:

Ger Jonker 11-16-2017 08:36 AM

I've quit adding cane sugar to all the cups of coffee and tea that I drink and I've managed to do that without depriving my sweet tooth. I now add stevia to those beverages. Stevia is a 0-calorie sweetener that is extracted from the leaves of a natural plant. This plant is native to South America.

When I buy stevia, I prefer the SweetLeaf brand because their products are all-natural. SweetLeaf's stevia also has a non-glycemic response. That means that it is safe to be consumed by people who have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

Check out: www.sweetleaf.com

Ger Jonker 11-16-2017 08:43 AM

Zevia makes carbonated beverages sweetened with stevia.

Check out: www.zevia.com

silva 11-16-2017 03:09 PM

Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners. Zevia tasted horrid. I also taste cilantro like soap!!!

Another good read is the book "Salt, Sugar, Fat" on the marketing of gluttony and disease.

Ger Jonker 11-17-2017 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=silva;4111784]Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners.[/QUOTE

silva, stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener. It is derived from the leaves of a real plant. The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.

silva 11-17-2017 07:57 AM

[quote=Ger Jonker;4111808]
Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4111784)
Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners.[/QUOTE

silva, stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener. It is derived from the leaves of a real plant. The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.

I'm well aware of that, I even had a stevia plant! I meant it tastes just like artificial sweeteners to me. It has the same kind of chemical taste nutrasweet has - for me, even just small amounts.
The fresh leaves were better, but still not good.

Some Guy 11-21-2017 07:21 AM

Instead of making my coffee and tea sweet, I eat something naturally sweet, like fruit and chase it with the coffee or tea. That way, the drink is a nice contrast to the sweet taste of the fruit. Eventually, your tastes will change and you will stop expecting things like coffee and tea to taste so sweet.

Urielska 01-30-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Boy I wish I liked stevia! I've tried so many varieties, including the one you referenced! It tastes chemical to me, like all the artificial sweeteners. Zevia tasted horrid. I also taste cilantro like soap!!!

Another good read is the book "Salt, Sugar, Fat" on the marketing of gluttony and disease.

Hey Silva,
I expected more from Stevia, too but it really just tastes like Aspartam...

Auxin 01-30-2018 10:11 AM

[quote=Ger Jonker;4111808]
Quote:

...The Guarani peoples of South America have been using it as a sweetener for over 400 years.

They've also been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years...

silva 01-30-2018 11:36 AM

[quote=silva;4111812]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Jonker (Post 4111808)
I'm well aware of that, I even had a stevia plant! I meant it tastes just like artificial sweeteners to me. It has the same kind of chemical taste nutrasweet has - for me, even just small amounts.
The fresh leaves were better, but still not good.

I didn't say that, someone quoted me and put their words in my quote! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urielska (Post 4113862)
Hey Silva,
I expected more from Stevia, too but it really just tastes like Aspartam...

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

David3 01-30-2018 12:02 PM

[quote=Auxin;4113866]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Jonker (Post 4111808)
They've also been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years...

I'm not a fan of stevia. Nevertheless, here are the United Nations World Health Organization's findings on stevia safety:

The United Nations World Health Organization has found that a daily intake of 4 mg of steviol glycosides per kilogram of body weight, for up to 4 weeks, has shown no adverse effects (see pages 183 to 219 of their report: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...660600_eng.pdf )

For a 110 lb. (50 kg) person, the UNWHO's findings translate to a maximum daily intake of 200 mg of steviol glycosides (for up to 4 weeks). Because steviol glycosides are 150 times sweeter than sugar (https://link.springer.com/article/10...:1008134420339 ), 200 mg of steviol glycodes are considered to be equivalent to 30 grams (about 7 U.S.-standard packs) of sugar.

Auxin 01-30-2018 12:07 PM

Oh, I didnt say stevia was bad. It might not be. I just like to poke out my tongue when people resort to the noble savage argument to justify their actions :p

AngelaKe 07-02-2018 04:40 AM

As for me I just can't drink my coffee without adding some sugar. It's pity. Addiction maybe) But what about tea things are much better - no sugar and OK!