Non-Hydrogenated Margarine or Lower Fat/Calorie Margarine? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I am thinking of switching to a non-hydrogenated margarine such as Earth Balance or Spectrum, but these margarines have twice the fat and calories of a margarine like Smart Balance Light. I know that I should avoid hydrogenated oils at all costs - but will it still be better when i am doubling the fat and calories?

Any thoughts? i don't really eat a lot of margarine, but my s/o seems to live on whole wheat toast...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

i use smart balance light on and in everything that calls for butter. it is vegan, if the info i have recieved is correct and free of trans fats. GO FOR IT!!
#3 Old 10-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

The smart balance light that I have doesn't have hydrogenated oils, just FYI. The website says "It contains no hydrogenated oil, no trans fatty acids and a precisely balanced oil blend to help improve the cholesterol ratio." (http://smartbalance.com/product.html).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

interesting - I see they replace the trans fat with a saturated fat to keep the spread solid. That is better, but then I still have the saturated fat problem....

I found a really intersting article about all the different margarines and what to look for here if anyone is interested.

and I found a chart rating them also
#5 Old 10-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Moon..what are you using the margarine for? Maybe we can help you come up with some substitutes.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread:

Endorsed by professional chefs

Awarded top honors by The American Tasting Institute

No Hydrogenated Oil

No Trans-Fatty Acids

All Natural (NO PRESERVATIVES)

Lactose Free

Gluten Free

100% Vegan

Our balanced blend of natural oils is U.S. patented to help improve the good to bad cholesterol ratio!

I love Earth Balance!!! It tastes so good as well. Its good for baking and spreading, IMO
#7 Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Moon..what are you using the margarine for? Maybe we can help you come up with some substitutes.

I don't really eat margarine all that much. Basically sometimes on toast, and a tiny bit when i make mashed potatos or mac and cheese or a grilled cheese(which is like never). But mainly i eat pb or jam on toast, mashed potatos and mac and cheese taste the same without the margarine and extra soymilk, and grilled "cheese" can be made with just pam.

I guess i was thinking about starting to bake more and my s/o who seems to live on whole wheat toast. that is his number 1 snack choice. Natural Ovens 100% whole wheat bread and margarine. I guess i was thinking of him really. I swear he eats like 4-6 slices a day. Sometimes that's all he'll eat for dinner, and usually breakfast and then a snack. At least the bread is pretty low calorie/fat and has 5 grams of fiber per slice. Maybe I shouldn't really worry. Oh wait, but he also uses margarine for sandwiches...besides that i guess he doesn't really eat it either.
#8 Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Well, with the margarine on toast, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in calories. For the amount of margarine most folks use to butter their bread, you're not really getting a lot more calorie-wise, and the benefits to your heart would seem to outweigh even that.

As far as baking, I rarely use any fat...the subs I use for eggs (applesauce, bananas, tofu, egg replacer, etc..) generally keep things moist enough.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Smart balance light. That's what I use. It's good stuff, and no trans fats!
#10 Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntelligentidiot View Post

Smart balance light. That's what I use. It's good stuff, and no trans fats!

I just switched to this from Earth Balance. I like it so far. I've only had it on corn and stuff and a bread.

Have you tried melting it over popcorn?
#11 Old 10-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I use earth balance for all my baking and it works like a charm. I like it on toast (rudy's vegan sourdough ) as well. Be careful using light versions in baking. They sometimes have added stuff that doesn't work well in recipes.
#12 Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Earth Balance Whipped? It has a little bit less fat and calories as regular Earth Balance but tastes and feels exactly the same, except it is easier to spread. I buy both kinds, and use regular Earth Balance for baking, and the Whipped for spreading on bread and toast. Here's the difference:

Regular Earth Balance (per Tbsp): 100 calories, 11 g fat (3.5 g saturated, 3.5 poly, 3.5 mono)

Whipped Earth Balance (per Tbsp): 80 calories, 9 g fat (2.5 g saturated, 3 g poly, 2.5 g mono)

Oh, and the Whipped EB I found is also organic, an added plus.
#13 Old 11-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi I don't want to start a new thread since this is pretty much the same question except does anyone know of some good vegan butter/margarine free of hyrdogenated oils but that can be used for baking in cookies and stuff (preferably in sticks/bigger packages)? I doubt anyone will reply but I'm still asking.
#14 Old 11-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

why would you doubt a reply?

altho, i think your question has already been answered in this thread: earth balance. i think that is what most people use for baking because it's non hydrogenated and vegan.

i use this for all my baking except cookies which i don't want to spread as much so i use shortening for that. spectrum makes a non-hydrogenated shortening. earth balance also just started making one that you can find in the cold section. i don't know if that would work as well since it seems to need to be kept refrigerated (?). i haven't used it.
#15 Old 11-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

hey thanks for your reply I didn't expect one mostly because usually people will look at the first post and reply to that only, also my posts seem to not have a "reply to me" tone... I do know about Earth Balance, I bought it a while ago, but I just wish I could get a package that comes in sticks and something that costs about the same as regular butter. Does earth balance come in sticks? I haven't seen them in that form..
#16 Old 11-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

as i said previously in this thread---SMART BALANCE LIGHT!!! works in baking. have never had it turn out bad/not work. i am sure there are recipes that it would fail, but i have not hit one.!!
#17 Old 11-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen EB in sticks, but if you look at the package there's a handy baking chart. The whole tub holds two cups. A fourth of the tub holds a half cup, etc. It even shows a diagram on how to cut it - that's how I do it easily for baking. I keep at least two EB's going at all times. One is the one we dip out of for toast, bagels, etc. and the other is the one I immediately cut into quarters to use in baking and recipes. And heaven help my husband if he scoops out of the baking EB....
#18 Old 11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

lol

wow I did see the baking chart but didn't know one tub held 2 cups.. so that could be good for like up to 3 or 4 cookie batches maybe.. It just seemed like less. I haven't seen Smart Balance Light, but I'll try to remember to check it out if I see it. Thanks for the replies
#19 Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spehlbaund View Post

I do know about Earth Balance, I bought it a while ago, but I just wish I could get a package that comes in sticks and something that costs about the same as regular butter. Does earth balance come in sticks? I haven't seen them in that form..

Actually Earth Balance does come in sticks as that is what I had my mom buy the last time she made me banana bread! I don't know if you have a Wegman's around you, but we found it refrigerated in the Nature's Marketplace section. I guess it might be hard to come by, but keep your eyes peeled!
#20 Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

they have it in sticks at the shaw's by me.
#21 Old 11-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww I never even heard of these stores.. I looked them up and I think they're only in the New England area? oh well at least now I know a tub of it equals 2 cups even though the sticks are more convenient..

thanks for the extra suggestions though
#22 Old 11-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought the Earth Balance sticks had whey or something in them that makes them not vegan.
#23 Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

i use smart balance light on and in everything that calls for butter. it is vegan, if the info i have recieved is correct and free of trans fats. GO FOR IT!!

I eat this too, and Earth Balance when I want to splurge (like on popcorn)

But yea, I love the smart balance light.
#24 Old 11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

I thought the Earth Balance sticks had whey or something in them that makes them not vegan.

i just checked my package and the ingrediants listed are vegan and it says 100% vegan on the box. no whey no way!
#25 Old 11-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait how much does one stick of butter equal? 1 cup or 1/2 cup.. I forgot. because if it's 1 cup then a whole tub of Earth Balance is equal to only 2 sticks of butter.. oh well.
#26 Old 11-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

One stick is only 1/2 a cup, I believe.
#27 Old 11-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh really? Thanks, I think the year-old giant stick of butter in our fridge is kind of weird shaped..
#28 Old 11-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

Earth Blance is vegan, and Smart Balance Light is vegan, but normal Smart Balance has whey. Is that what you are thinkign of?

I ended up switching to smart balance light, it is sold everywhere and the same price as the other margarines. I made some cookies with it last week and they turned out OK. I wanted to get the spectrum shortening in the non-refridgerated tub, but it was $4.00.

I saw the Earth Balance sticks (i think they were called shortening) at the HFS, but haven't tried them.
#29 Old 11-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer to use SmartBalance. I like the taste better. If I have to use less for the calorie aspect then I'll just use less.

I've tried the Smart Balance Light and I don't like the taste as much.

But ... I suppose I could try it in recipes (like whipped sweet potatoes) and just use the EB on toast and things where the flavour is more obvious.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#30 Old 12-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

I actually prefer the taste of smart balance light to smart balance. It spreads more easily, too!

I use Earth Balance for baking. mmmmm :-)

Does anybody know if the Smart Balance® Omega PLUS Buttery Spread uses fish oil for it's enhanced omega 3 concentration? Its suspect because on the commercials I hear it says "omega 3 from the sea" :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page