• 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 3 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Beets&Beats
  • 1 Post By RomeoAppearing
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Poppy

#1 Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Resolution to NOT exercise, anyone?

I think I need some help on this!
It's so weird. I've always ALWAYS been active but lately it's taking a toll and my feet are hurting etc. despite not swimming or riding for a few years and only walking around my SUBLIME suburb 2 hours a day.
Not even much. Which is why I'm struggling to cut back. But I think that's where my period went and my feet could do with a break.
I tried to just do one little sunrise walk this morning and realised I'm totally hooked on the trees and the sky and the movement when I literally could not NOT go tonight.
Which is funny...unless I actually think about the fact that several signs say it would've been better to just sit down and be lazy and I couldn't do it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi B&B
Have you ever seen a registered dietician? You may be able to get some helpful assistance.
#3 Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
I have twice. When I was first diagnosed as Coeliac and needed to gain a ton of weight back whilst managing a new diet.
Both ladies strongly pushed meat and I didn't go back.
Then I just started eating the meat to be complacent.
And now I'm meatless and dieticianless. Heh.

But as soon as I wrote the post above I realised that's actually not normal. I feel more grounded than I ever have and life is good and I don't feel 'stuck' (hooray for the early 30s! 20s were just an extended bunch of teen years for me, I think...) but writing that I realised I should see a counsellor, just to make sure I have as much control as I think I do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Seriously though. It's just so beautiful and walking is my favourite thing in the world. Even as a little kid. How do you limit that?!
But even when I eat heaps and heaps and compensate for it, it doesn't help my aching ankles etc. And extra weight would.
How odd.
#5 Old 02-24-2016, 01:54 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Seriously though. It's just so beautiful and walking is my favourite thing in the world. Even as a little kid. How do you limit that?!
But even when I eat heaps and heaps and compensate for it, it doesn't help my aching ankles etc. And extra weight would.
How odd.
It isn't just eating a few good meals that will help your problem. You need to get on a regular plan that will help you get to a normal weight. Underweight people often have nutrutional deficiencies, especially those with underlying celiac or other digestive issues. Your feet need insulation (fat) or they will hurt when you walk. Incidentally, sore feet can be a sign of vitamin D deficiency.

There are dieticians out there who are supportive if veg diets. But in the meantime, try adding more calories to your daily meals.
Beets&Beats likes this.
#6 Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Does it have to be two hours a day of walking? You could still enjoy the beautiful outdoors in half an hour. And wear more supportive shoes or shoe inserts.

I had to put on a lot of weight too, and I have a medical condition (very low bone density and osteoporosis) that means it is imperative that I put on that weight. I have gained a good bit to a low normal range but could still gain more and be healthier (for me it's a psychological battle, not due to any diet restrictions). I know it is hard. What has helped me (especially when I was more motivated to put on weight) was eating a lot of small meals throughout the day so I didn't always feel so full and my body could digest food better.

I didn't have to avoid gluten, but there are quite a few gluten free vegan foods that can help with weight gain. Remember now, a lot of vegans preach low fat high carb, but when you NEED to put on a lot of weight, some fat is very helpful in that regard. Otherwise be prepared to eat enormous amounts of food.

Peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butter were all my best friends lol. And tahini to make hummus. Even whole almonds are great to snack on. And cashews are great for making your own "cream cheese" or "alfredo sauce" if you have access to a good blender or food processor.

Avocado is great for pesto over your gluten free pasta, or in a salad.

I used coconut milk (full fat canned) for baking and for curries (think tofu or black beans, rice, broccoli, sweet potato, curry powder, coconut milk, garlic cloves).

Eat lots of beans (making them into a dip makes them more nutrient dense per serving and you can get in more before getting full...for example, 1/4 cup of hummus is about the same calories as 1/2 a cup of chickpeas).

Eat some dried fruits. Medjool dates are like dessert! and one fig is about 40 calories. A serving of three of them are LOADED with calcium. I can eat about six of them and be satisfied lol, with a glass of plant milk.

Buy the full fat plant milks. Hemp milk, almond milk, rice milk, and soy milks all have full fat versions and a fair amount of calories.

Add some blackstrap molasses or fruit compote to hot cereals (some gluten free grains that make great hot cereal are millet, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat groats). And throw in some nuts/seeds. You can also soak raw buckwheat groats or oat groats (if you can tolerate those) overnight and eat them as a cold cereal with fruit and nuts and plant milk.

In fact, MOST of the more calorific vegan foods are gluten free, save white or whole wheat flour products.

I also utilized protein powders from time to time to help with weight gain. And not going to lie, I also binged a fair amount because I had restricted my food intake hard for a long period as well as exercising and my body was literally starving and weight was very low (which in turn messes up chemical hormones that control appetite such as leptin, insulin, etc). You'd be amazed at how much I had to put away to gain weight though, and I am a 43 year old post surgically menopausal woman with hypothyroidism (I was 40-41 at that time).

I love this energy bar formula (which can easily be gluten free):
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Personally, I could not give up exercise as it was a double edge sword for me. On the one hand I used it for controlling my body and weight, however, I also loved and still love exercise as a form of release, coping with stress, expressing myself, and generally feeling more energetic. In order to gain weight, I had to shift from a lot of cardio to far less of that and more strength training. I had to stop exercising at times when I was injured (I strained myself a LOT and had muscle and bone injuries from over exercising, undereating, and being underweight). And the strength training had to wait until I was a safer weight. I used to do cardio several hours per day and cut down to a half hour to make gaining weight easier. Of course it was not THAT hard for me to put on weight as an older adult in surgical menopause, but cutting back on the exercise really helped.
From what I understand, sore feet are a sign of low vitamin D. I hope you are working with some sort of doctor for your celiac disease as it can cause so many absorption/nutrient deficiencies. I work as a medical coder and see a lot of cases of celiacs needing B12 shots, iron infusions, and other supplements given directly into the blood via shots because they can not absorb vitamins through food. It is a terrible disease that can cause so many problems, including osteoporosis.
Please do cut back on the walking!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Does it have to be two hours a day of walking? You could still enjoy the beautiful outdoors in half an hour. And wear more supportive shoes or shoe inserts.

I had to put on a lot of weight too, and I have a medical condition (very low bone density and osteoporosis) that means it is imperative that I put on that weight. I have gained a good bit to a low normal range but could still gain more and be healthier (for me it's a psychological battle, not due to any diet restrictions). I know it is hard. What has helped me (especially when I was more motivated to put on weight) was eating a lot of small meals throughout the day so I didn't always feel so full and my body could digest food better.

I didn't have to avoid gluten, but there are quite a few gluten free vegan foods that can help with weight gain. Remember now, a lot of vegans preach low fat high carb, but when you NEED to put on a lot of weight, some fat is very helpful in that regard. Otherwise be prepared to eat enormous amounts of food.

Peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butter were all my best friends lol. And tahini to make hummus. Even whole almonds are great to snack on. And cashews are great for making your own "cream cheese" or "alfredo sauce" if you have access to a good blender or food processor.

Avocado is great for pesto over your gluten free pasta, or in a salad.

I used coconut milk (full fat canned) for baking and for curries (think tofu or black beans, rice, broccoli, sweet potato, curry powder, coconut milk, garlic cloves).

Eat lots of beans (making them into a dip makes them more nutrient dense per serving and you can get in more before getting full...for example, 1/4 cup of hummus is about the same calories as 1/2 a cup of chickpeas).

Eat some dried fruits. Medjool dates are like dessert! and one fig is about 40 calories. A serving of three of them are LOADED with calcium. I can eat about six of them and be satisfied lol, with a glass of plant milk.

Buy the full fat plant milks. Hemp milk, almond milk, rice milk, and soy milks all have full fat versions and a fair amount of calories.

Add some blackstrap molasses or fruit compote to hot cereals (some gluten free grains that make great hot cereal are millet, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat groats). And throw in some nuts/seeds. You can also soak raw buckwheat groats or oat groats (if you can tolerate those) overnight and eat them as a cold cereal with fruit and nuts and plant milk.

In fact, MOST of the more calorific vegan foods are gluten free, save white or whole wheat flour products.

I also utilized protein powders from time to time to help with weight gain. And not going to lie, I also binged a fair amount because I had restricted my food intake hard for a long period as well as exercising and my body was literally starving and weight was very low (which in turn messes up chemical hormones that control appetite such as leptin, insulin, etc). You'd be amazed at how much I had to put away to gain weight though, and I am a 43 year old post surgically menopausal woman with hypothyroidism (I was 40-41 at that time).

I love this energy bar formula (which can easily be gluten free):
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Personally, I could not give up exercise as it was a double edge sword for me. On the one hand I used it for controlling my body and weight, however, I also loved and still love exercise as a form of release, coping with stress, expressing myself, and generally feeling more energetic. In order to gain weight, I had to shift from a lot of cardio to far less of that and more strength training. I had to stop exercising at times when I was injured (I strained myself a LOT and had muscle and bone injuries from over exercising, undereating, and being underweight). And the strength training had to wait until I was a safer weight. I used to do cardio several hours per day and cut down to a half hour to make gaining weight easier. Of course it was not THAT hard for me to put on weight as an older adult in surgical menopause, but cutting back on the exercise really helped.
From what I understand, sore feet are a sign of low vitamin D. I hope you are working with some sort of doctor for your celiac disease as it can cause so many absorption/nutrient deficiencies. I work as a medical coder and see a lot of cases of celiacs needing B12 shots, iron infusions, and other supplements given directly into the blood via shots because they can not absorb vitamins through food. It is a terrible disease that can cause so many problems, including osteoporosis.
Please do cut back on the walking!
OH MY GOODNESS. I actually shed a tear reading your post both out of empathy (it sounds like you've been on a really long journey and that things are still a conscious effort for you but you're makin' it flow!) and just...because of all the information.
I can't even respond. There's nothing to say beyond thankyou, really. Thankyou.
Large amounts of fat still make me feel a bit sick but that's ok. And just...oh. Yep.
Things.

You're right about the hour, too. Just an hour today. And sitting outside a lot. It's my stress-release too though so we'll see how long this lasts...
The eating will. The stillness might not but I do want to live well and function as a human and such...
Seeing a counsellor on Monday, too. Can't hurt.
Naturebound likes this.
#8 Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Well... weed would calm you down and would also make you hungrier
Beets&Beats likes this.
#9 Old 02-28-2016, 01:24 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Lol
#10 Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that Naturebound flagged low D as a possible reason for foot pains. I can testify to that!
I have high arches, and supinate badly, so all I got from doctors was to get shoe orthotics made. I knew that wasn't it, as the pain could be sudden and really like paralyze my feet for a while, it felt like it was coming from the bones themselves. I finally requested a vitamin D test. I'd been taking D2 that was in Devas cal-mag-d daily at the RDA level. My D level came out to be 12. Really low. I started taking 10000 mg, then 5000 D3 since and am better in many ways, as well as mentally more focused.
I keep meaning to switch to a vegan D3, from lichens, but want to wait till i'm tested again
LedBoots and Beets&Beats like this.
#11 Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Bicycle?
#12 Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Ankle Biter

Perhaps another hobby would also provide you with beauty, relaxation and self-expression - maybe drawing or writing? Or music?
karenlovessnow likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 07-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh goodness!
I'm so late replying!
It's been a hectic year but now there's more time (to mill around on forums and sit in the trees and read and live and cook and HOORAY)!
So this was a thread from Feb and since then my activity level didn't decrease but only because my energy has grown and grown and it no longer feels like a problem. I'm not exhausted or anything and my feet only hurt once a month (week before my period. Silva, that's interesting about your Vit D experience! I wonder if that comes into it for me? That and clearly also hormones. I'd rather have sore feet than cramps and migraines like I used!)... but I do need to mix it up a little muscle-groups wise I think...

Gita, I'm in the process of replacing the bike that was stolen months ago and think cycling more will indeed be my next step.

Poppy, yes yes yes! All those things! I love them! And actually haven't been making much time for them so thankyou for the reminder. They matter. I think back when I posted this there was a real chip on my shoulder around productivity, too. Sitting and enjoying creative time in nature felt less justifiable than 'going for a walk' , y'know? But thankfully that viewpoint has changed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page