New Warnings Against Paleo Diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

#1 Old 02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

New Warnings Against Paleo Diet

HA!

Of all the fad diets, I hate this one the most. And Pete Evans drives me crazy. New research has been released saying that if you follow the paleo diet it could make you fatter and increase your chance of getting diabetes. It's such a stupid and scientifically flawed diet.

I remember when a paleo cookbook for children had to be recalled off the shelf, as it had a recipe in it for babies that was actually extremely dangerous for children to eat.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/d...18-gmy7kp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

Interesting study. However, the study was performed on mice, not humans. The results may therefore have limited validity.

http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v...utd20162a.html

It is interesting to note (Disclaimer: I am not fat-shaming) that Dr. Loren Cordain, the author of "The Paleo Diet", is not slim. He has neck and belly fat, like many American men:

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-18-2016 at 07:40 PM.
#3 Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

IMO, you have to be pretty ignorant to fall for the idea of a true paleo diet being healthy.

People have such an amazing capacity for buying into whatever appears trendy at any given time.
Thalassa4 and veg1973 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 AM
vegan since Sept. 2014

And every person I know who follow Paleo diets( and I know a few) say that I should eat Paleo because it's healthier than being vegan and the kicker"the meat is from humane treatment" huh!!!!
veg1973 likes this.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
#5 Old 02-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
HA!

Of all the fad diets, I hate this one the most. And Pete Evans drives me crazy. New research has been released saying that if you follow the paleo diet it could make you fatter and increase your chance of getting diabetes. It's such a stupid and scientifically flawed diet.

I remember when a paleo cookbook for children had to be recalled off the shelf, as it had a recipe in it for babies that was actually extremely dangerous for children to eat.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/d...18-gmy7kp.html
Was that the 'bone broth' stuff that was recommended as 'nourishing' to babies? Eeeew
cherries and Beets&Beats like this.
#6 Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 AM
Beginner

i think any benefits from this diet come from the fact that a huge percentage of Americans eat virtually no fruits and vegetables. When they adopt this diet they start eating some.
#7 Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
i think any benefits from this diet come from the fact that a huge percentage of Americans eat virtually no fruits and vegetables. When they adopt this diet they start eating some.

Exactly. Plus, any diet that excludes donuts, chips, and soda is bound to be better than the Standard American Diet.
veggie man and BlackBoxed like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#8 Old 02-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Was that the 'bone broth' stuff that was recommended as 'nourishing' to babies? Eeeew
Yep that was the one. Was proven to be potentially very dangerous or even deadly for babies so they had to recall it.
cherries likes this.
#9 Old 02-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnteater View Post
And every person I know who follow Paleo diets( and I know a few) say that I should eat Paleo because it's healthier than being vegan and the kicker"the meat is from humane treatment" huh!!!!
Don't worry. You can easily Google an American study that voted paleo worst health diet or second worst two years in a row, and rated vegan significantly better.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

Last edited by Thalassa4; 02-19-2016 at 03:19 PM.
#10 Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

So why isn't the lifestyle of Paleo promoted along with their diet? Like having no mechanical means of transport, and having no temperture controls or decent housing? No electric, or gas or protection
Tom, Crouton, Naturebound and 4 others like this.
#11 Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
So why isn't the lifestyle of Paleo promoted along with their diet? Like having no mechanical means of transport, and having no temperture controls or decent housing? No electric, or gas or protection
And actually having to hunt animals without guns. They'd be in for a really nasty surprise.

Ive watched survivalist types hunt on NatGeo, or Discovery. Humans are miserable hunters, and it can take DAYS to make one kill - and that's if you are even skilled to begin with.
cherries and David3 like this.
#12 Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

You know, isn't the argument for the "Paleo" diet about what humans should be eating? That logic is exactly why modern humans should be eating whole foods plant based!
#13 Old 02-19-2016, 05:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
When I think about living in another time period, I always figure I would have died pretty young because my eyesight is so very bad. I certainly would have walked off a cliff or been devoured by a tiger.

Little things like eyeglasses, or shoes, or refrigerators I take for granted. I am chock full of gratitude suddenly.

I see the paleo people at Whole Foods. I went to the WF meat counter to protest when they (briefly and disgustingly) were selling bunny meat. It was the paleo shoppers there that told me how eating bunnies was 'natural.' I said 'then go catch one with your bare hands or with a club.'
Tom, Naturebound and veggie man like this.
#14 Old 02-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
And actually having to hunt animals without guns. They'd be in for a really nasty surprise.

Ive watched survivalist types hunt on NatGeo, or Discovery. Humans are miserable hunters, and it can take DAYS to make one kill - and that's if you are even skilled to begin with.
Agreed.
It's pretty well established now that paleo humans were not particularly successful hunters at all. What humans were good at was scavenging the kills of other animals. Specifically they were especially good at using tools to get fresh bone marrow other predators and scavengers could not access inside bones.

I suppose if we still lived that way eating bone marrow might be a good idea, but sitting around eating bone marrow in the 21st century is kind of ridiculous.
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#15 Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Beginner

I think we've evolved over the aeons and I think a vegetarian diet is a more advanced form of human nourishment. I am not nostalgic for the cave man days!
LedBoots, cherries and Thalassa4 like this.
#16 Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No phone.... no lights... no motorcar...
Not a single luxury...
... (from the "Gilligan's Island" theme)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 02-20-2016, 10:24 AM

I think whole foods is the healthiest diet....If only I could stick to it.
Tom, silva and cherries like this.

#18 Old 02-21-2016, 12:39 PM

WAPF is an extremely dangerous fad. http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/0...oundation.html Its victims are cult-like in their hostility and rigidity.
#19 Old 02-21-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Plus, any diet that excludes donuts, chips, and soda is bound to be better than the Standard American Diet.
Exactly. Any diet that includes some vegetables and excludes nutrient-poor processed foods is bound to be an improvement over the Standard American ("SAD") diet.
David3 likes this.
#20 Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
I think whole foods is the healthiest diet....If only I could stick to it.
I swear I have more of a sweet tooth now than I did as a kid. What works for me is, if I don't trust myself not to go on an unhealthy feeding frenzy on a particular food, I just don't buy it- at least, not in large quantities.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#21 Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
I just have to say that I love this thread. I do. Everyone around me is 'pure and paleo' right now and it's such a (harmful) joke.
Hoorah for a beacon of sanity...
cherries, Crouton and SweetPotato like this.
#22 Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 AM
an irregular

Lets not forget the most important issue with Paleo; How Horribly obnoxious and arrogant so many of it's participants are!

I was talking with a woman at work last week, as we were both drinking smoothies and she asked what brand I was drinking and I replied 'no brand, just spinach, a banana, some berries, juice and whatever else' , which led her into an unsolicited pro paleo spiel and ended with her saying she only uses powdered smoothie mixes since she was 'afraid of fruit and vegetable ones'

who the f*** is afraid of spinach!

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#23 Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post

who the f*** is afraid of spinach!
Bluto
Tom, LedBoots, veggie man and 1 others like this.

#24 Old 02-24-2016, 08:12 AM
an irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
Bluto

Touché!

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#25 Old 02-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^^^ Ukukukukukuk!

#26 Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Vegan since 1991

_________

#27 Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
It was the paleo shoppers there that told me how eating bunnies was 'natural.'
Two practical problems with that for paleofantasists:

1) The rabbit being slaughtered for flesh is probably of a variety that has been bred specifically for that purpose. Since breeding programs are ongoing, the rabbit bought today has differences from the rabbit purchased 30 years ago, let alone in the timeframe paleofantasists like to imagine.

2) There are instances in 'pioneer' America of explorers having plenty of rabbit to eat ... and starving to death. IIRC, it's too lean.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#28 Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Though I find this hilarious, it isn't really an accurate portrayal of a paleo person (the guy with the burger) because they are anti grains. Now take the grain off the burger, and the cheese, then add about six burger patties (grass fed of course so that would eliminate most fast food) and THEN you have a more accurate portrayal lol.
David3 and Thalassa4 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#29 Old 04-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Paleo is a load of crap - however, testing it on mice is not going to yield accurate results by any means. I'm assuming they fed those mice things like chicken and beef; that's far from natural, which the paleo diet claims to be. While it would be extremely difficult for a human to hunt anything without tools, it would be impossible for a mouse to hunt anything bigger than an insect (or perhaps another rodent around the same size as them?).
#30 Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
because they are anti grains.
When I was a kid I read instructions in my Boy Scout field manual for making "bread" out of cattails (the plant, not kitty bits). Maybe it's a cattail bun

(This site has info on using cattail, including recipes. The bread-like ones all cut in some flour, but if you combined the cattail pollen base with techniques already used in gluten free baking it should be possible to get rid of the grains. Of course paleofantasists will object that some of the ingredients used in GF baking weren't available to the "caveman" diet as they misperceive it. I have a hard time taking the objection seriously.)

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 04-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page