Undereating and nutrient deficency? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

#1 Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 AM

Undereating and nutrient deficency?

I've been on a high carb low fat plant-based vegan diet for around 9 months now and I truly feel that it is the ideal diet for optimum health. However, recently I've been eating around 1,000 calories per day because I am limited with how much food is available to me. I eat up to 6 bananas in the morning for breakfast, 120g of oatmeal with cane sugar for lunch, and then about 300g of potatoes for dinner or occasionally a thai dish if we go to a vegan restaurant. My skin is now dry, my hair is dry as well but also oily and falls out easily, my thinking is not clear, my sex drive is very low, and my mood is down as well. I've also gone from 120lbs to 107lbs in around 3 months without adding any exercise. Any suggestions besides "eat more calories"? And am I very underweight? I'm 18, 5'6", and 107lbs
Also, this is one of my higher calorie days. Yesterday I had 2 bananas, 120g of oatmeal with cane sugar, and about 100g of black beans.

Last edited by Fruitemma; 01-29-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 AM
an irregular

not to be too much of a Nosey-Nellie, but what do you mean by " recently I've been eating around 1,000 calories per day because I am limited with how much food is available to me. "

is this because of financial restrictions, some sort of fasting/ cleanse or something else entirely? the foods you listed as yesterdays intake do not sound like it is very sustainable in the long or short term, especially if you are noticing tangible symptoms of malnutrition with your skin and hair, along with the personal effects cause from it.

instagram: Popcorncaptain

Last edited by Muttley; 01-29-2016 at 08:18 AM.
#3 Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM

I moved in with my boyfriend's parents and so I'm not allowed to just cook whenever I want to. I also don't have a car or income so I can't buy my own food. If I do cook then it has to be for my boyfriend, but since he likes his cooking better than mine he only cooks for himself. He has enough trouble on his own eating enough calories just due to not eating often enough so when he does cook he only cooks for himself. That leaves me with only being able to eat raw foods and then sometimes whatever his parents have for dinner. Maybe this is a personal problem, but I'll have an income soon so are there calorie dense vegan foods that I can buy that won't need to be cooked and that will help with the side effects I've been having due to undereating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

You are underweight and obviously do need more calories. If you can't get the calories your body needs via an increased volume of carbs, then you're going to have to get them via fats. However healthy it might be if done right, your current diet evidently isn't working for you in your current situation and the severe calorie restriction you are putting your body through is harmful. Get some avocados, nuts, seeds and peanut butter.
LedBoots, David3 and no whey jose like this.
#5 Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Vegan since 1991

1,000 calories per day is dangerously low. All of your physical symptoms (hair loss, depressed mood, low sex drive, rapid weight loss, etc.) are symptoms of starvation.

According to the National Institutes of Health, you are underweight: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm

You truly do need to eat more calories - there is no substitute for that. You can use this calculator to estimate how many calories you need each day: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Nuts are a dense source of calories - typically 650 to 1000 calories per cup. Peanut butter is also dense in calories. If you could just eat one cup of nuts per day, in addition to the food that you already eat, you would be much better off.

Sister Fruitemma, can you help us to understand what you meant by this?:

"If I do cook then it has to be for my boyfriend, but since he likes his cooking better than mine he only cooks for himself. He has enough trouble on his own eating enough calories just due to not eating often enough so when he does cook he only cooks for himself."

Sister Fruitemma, do you have other family members that you could live with?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-29-2016 at 09:13 AM.
#6 Old 01-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitemma View Post
I moved in with my boyfriend's parents and so I'm not allowed to just cook whenever I want to. I also don't have a car or income so I can't buy my own food. If I do cook then it has to be for my boyfriend, but since he likes his cooking better than mine he only cooks for himself. He has enough trouble on his own eating enough calories just due to not eating often enough so when he does cook he only cooks for himself. That leaves me with only being able to eat raw foods and then sometimes whatever his parents have for dinner. Maybe this is a personal problem, but I'll have an income soon so are there calorie dense vegan foods that I can buy that won't need to be cooked and that will help with the side effects I've been having due to undereating?
Honey you need to eat more. You are starving your body. Your bf and his family cannot continue that selfish behavior at the expense of your health. Dried fruit and nuts, peanut butter, add olive oil to pasta, etc. Baked potatoes are cheap, and you can microwave it in a few minutes.

Please talk to your bf about this.
#7 Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
1,000 calories per day is dangerously low. All of your physical symptoms (hair loss, depressed mood, low sex drive, rapid weight loss, etc.) are symptoms of starvation.
This is probably it.
After you correct the calorie and other nutrient (?) deficiencies if those symptoms dont all start resolving you might look at iodine, as all of your listed symptoms are also symptoms of iodine deficiency.
Since your trying to be healthy I'm guessing your not eating loads and loads of table salt, and since your in arizona I'm guessing your likely not big on sea vegetables. If iodine is part of the problem and you start supplementing with dulse flakes on your food the first symptom to show improvement should be the dry flaky skin.
There is a blood test for iodine deficiency, of course, but be careful. In the US doctors put iodine deficient patients on synthetic hormones for the rest of their life so they can milk them for money via routine blood tests until they die when all the patient needed was a minor diet modification.
#8 Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I know you asked not to hear this, but you need more calories. If you're extremely limited then the source starts mattering less. Even if you make up the calories with chocolate and potato chips you will be better off than what's happening now.

And yes, is there anywhere else you can live?(if talking about this does nothing)

edit--------
Or get a job so you can buy some food. If you're not eating enough you will eventually die so you have to do something about it.

Last edited by odizzido; 01-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
#9 Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

You must eat more food. Now is not the time to be especially picky. If you can get your hands on some peanut butter, have it. Fat isn't going to hurt you, but starvation absolutely will.

I'm concerned about your living situation. Why are you not allowed to cook except for your boyfriend? Are you safe where you are? Do you have friends and family who can help you?
Crouton, Spudulika and Thalassa4 like this.
#10 Old 01-29-2016, 01:03 PM

I'm safe where I am and I think the food situation is mostly due to my lack of skill in the kitchen. I'm going to try making simple meals that everyone can eat. His parents just don't want me to be greedy with the food they're buying or use the stove too much because it will affect their bill. I'm also going to try to incorporate a little more fat into my diet since recently I've been as low as 1-2% fat. I also will be starting a job next week so if I have any issues with eating enough calories then I'll be able to buy more food for myself. Thanks for the help
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
This is probably it.
After you correct the calorie and other nutrient (?) deficiencies if those symptoms dont all start resolving you might look at iodine, as all of your listed symptoms are also symptoms of iodine deficiency.
Since your trying to be healthy I'm guessing your not eating loads and loads of table salt, and since your in arizona I'm guessing your likely not big on sea vegetables. If iodine is part of the problem and you start supplementing with dulse flakes on your food the first symptom to show improvement should be the dry flaky skin.
There is a blood test for iodine deficiency, of course, but be careful. In the US doctors put iodine deficient patients on synthetic hormones for the rest of their life so they can milk them for money via routine blood tests until they die when all the patient needed was a minor diet modification.
Which foods can I eat for iodine? I don't want to take supplement pills and I don't know what dulse flakes are.
#12 Old 01-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to convert 107 pounds to figure out what the kilo's are, and read that you only weight 48kilos! I don't mean to be rude, but that's a scary weight, I know people who have been hospitalized for weighing around that much. You really need to eat more. I'm glad to hear that you will be starting a new job and will be able to buy more food, as it sounds like your body is desperate for it.
no whey jose likes this.
#13 Old 01-29-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I had to convert 107 pounds to figure out what the kilo's are, and read that you only weight 48kilos! I don't mean to be rude, but that's a scary weight, I know people who have been hospitalized for weighing around that much. You really need to eat more. I'm glad to hear that you will be starting a new job and will be able to buy more food, as it sounds like your body is desperate for it.
Well I weigh 107 in the morning before eating anything. If I weigh myself at night then I weigh 109-110. I do understand that I should weigh more though so I'll try eating more foods like nuts and seeds which are high in calories and fat.
Spudulika likes this.
#14 Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

How often do you weigh yourself? I don't mean to be presumptuous, and please ignore me if I'm way off base, but if you feel you have any issues with disordered eating, there are people here who have been through it and can offer support and advice.

Regarding simple meals that will appeal to everyone, my standard is always pasta. It's almost foolproof and there are so many ways to serve it. If you're new to cooking, you can just make a big pot of spaghetti and add a jar of pasta sauce. Later on, as you gain experience and confidence, you can experiment with different additions. My favourite homemade pasta sauce is a cream sauce made from almond milk. You could also make a big pot of stew or chilli by combining various canned beans and veggies. Served with rice, you could feed your whole family on that. These meals also have the advantage of being quite filling.

If you're only eating one meal a day, be sure to keep snacks handy. Do you like hummus? It's quick and easy to eat as a sandwich spread or as a dip for crackers or raw vegetables. Peanut butter sandwiches are always good, as are handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit.
LedBoots and Fruitemma like this.
#15 Old 01-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Which foods can I eat for iodine? I don't want to take supplement pills and I don't know what dulse flakes are.
Thats the real problem. The only things with reliable quantities of iodine are table salt, which has far too little iodine, and certain seaweeds. [Milk is no longer a reliable source and, obviously, its not vegan]
Kelp is the most potent seaweed but its iodine concentration can vary a hundred fold, making it somewhat dangerous for routine use.
Theres a video explaining the more practical seaweeds.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/avoi...-deficiency-2/
Fruitemma likes this.
#16 Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I know this is completely irrational (and a little off topic-- sorry, OP!) but I can't stomach the thought of eating seaweed. It's probably tasty but I can't shake the image from my childhood of going swimming in the ocean and peeling strings of sopping wet seaweed from around my legs. Eeek! I don't know if my multivitamin contains iodine. Do they usually?
Fruitemma likes this.
#17 Old 01-29-2016, 02:19 PM

How about sushi wraps? I know sushi is low in calories, but maybe it'd be worth it to just make avocado/rice sushi.
#18 Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
How often do you weigh yourself? I don't mean to be presumptuous, and please ignore me if I'm way off base, but if you feel you have any issues with disordered eating, there are people here who have been through it and can offer support and advice.

Regarding simple meals that will appeal to everyone, my standard is always pasta. It's almost foolproof and there are so many ways to serve it. If you're new to cooking, you can just make a big pot of spaghetti and add a jar of pasta sauce. Later on, as you gain experience and confidence, you can experiment with different additions. My favourite homemade pasta sauce is a cream sauce made from almond milk. You could also make a big pot of stew or chilli by combining various canned beans and veggies. Served with rice, you could feed your whole family on that. These meals also have the advantage of being quite filling.

If you're only eating one meal a day, be sure to keep snacks handy. Do you like hummus? It's quick and easy to eat as a sandwich spread or as a dip for crackers or raw vegetables. Peanut butter sandwiches are always good, as are handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit.
I weighed myself like 2 days ago. I try to weigh myself every day around 7am though so that it is accurate. I don't have any eating disorders, but I may have a little body-image problems because I feel anxious if I'm not working out consistently or if I eat more than 10% fat. It seems that my breasts have gotten a little smaller and I have lost some glute muscle. I think this is because I haven't been going to the gym regularly and I have kept my fat intake much lower than 10%. I still really want to be active though because I hate that I've lost glue muscle but I don't want to burn too many calories either. My boyfriend even told me that I shouldn't be going to the gym anymore until I eat better.
And thanks for the recipe suggestions
#19 Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually been looking at iodine myself. According to the info I've seen we should be getting around 150mcg per day but table salt in canada only has 63mcg per gram :\ I assume the states is the same or very close. Eating spoonfuls of salt seems like a bad idea but ATM I don't know what else I can do about it so I am currently not getting enough. I know that people in land locked areas of north america were developing health problems due to lack of iodine in the past so it is something that I need to figure out. I've been poking around the internets once in a while but no luck so far.

I do try to have a little salt each day as even if I don't get enough it's better than nothing.

Oh an NWJ, seaweed isn't very good. I've tried to eat it a few times for iodine but I just can't stand it.

edit--------
If you don't eat enough your body will use your glutes and breasts(and more) for energy. If you work out without significantly increasing your food intake you may just accelerate your butt and breast loss. I would also suggest not going to the gym until your food situation is solved.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by odizzido; 01-29-2016 at 02:41 PM.
#20 Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I've actually been looking at iodine myself. According to the info I've seen we should be getting around 150mcg per day but table salt in canada only has 63mcg per gram :\ I assume the states is the same or very close. Eating spoonfuls of salt seems like a bad idea but ATM I don't know what else I can do about it so I am currently not getting enough. I know that people in land locked areas of north america were developing health problems due to lack of iodine in the past so it is something that I need to figure out. I've been poking around the internets once in a while but no luck so far.

I do try to have a little salt each day as even if I don't get enough it's better than nothing.

Oh an NWJ, seaweed isn't very good. I've tried to eat it a few times for iodine but I just can't stand it.
Have you heard of Freelee the banana girl? Her diet is what I base mine off of and she never adds any salt and seems to have no issue with iodine. I wonder if it is actually a real issue or not.
#21 Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Bloated feeling

Also, today I have actually ate really well. I've had oatmeal with cane sugar, a grilled cheese sandwich with vegan cheese, a 6 ounce glass of smoothie, and a small can of v8. For dinner I'll be having fries with peanut sauce and steamed vegetables. However, since I have had more fat today and more calories I feel sort of bloated..is this normal?
LedBoots likes this.
#22 Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My boyfriend even told me that I shouldn't be going to the gym anymore until I eat better.
Could you tell us what your boyfriend says about your eating habits now and how they could be improved?

I'm curious to know why he only cooks for himself if he wants you to "eat better" (more)?

I don't want to sound intrusive but how you've described your home-life and your relationships in regards to food, sounds somewhat unusual.
#23 Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I know of freelee, but I don't watch her videos so I don't know what she eats. I do know that lack of iodine was a health problem significant enough that we did something about it. I am not sure how long it takes for a lack of iodine to cause problems....could be years I don't know.

As to feeling bloated....sorry but I cannot help with that as I don't know enough.
Fruitemma likes this.
#24 Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Could you tell us what your boyfriend says about your eating habits now and how they could be improved?

I'm curious to know why he only cooks for himself if he wants you to "eat better" (more)?

I don't want to sound intrusive but how you've described your home-life and your relationships in regards to food, sounds somewhat unusual.
He says that I need to eat more, but he thinks that I should be cooking for myself while he is at college and I'm at home with his mom but his mom has a problem with me cooking for only myself. That's why I was asking about calorie-dense foods that don't require cooking. He doesn't share the food that he cooks for himself because he is lucky if he gets 2,500 calories per day which isn't good either and males need to have much more calories than females.
#25 Old 01-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Have you heard of Freelee the banana girl? Her diet is what I base mine off of and she never adds any salt and seems to have no issue with iodine. I wonder if it is actually a real issue or not.
I've been saying this for months and I stand by it: Freelee is dangerous. She puts an unhealthy emphasis on weight and appearance. Her diet plan has become so popular that most people seem to now conflate veganism with the consumption of an obscene amount of fruit and not much else. It isn't healthy, physically or psychologically. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it seems to me that a relaxed approach to food-- eating what you want when you're hungry, indulging in the occasional treat, neglecting to count calories-- must be far healthier than a strict, restrictive diet.
#26 Old 01-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
He doesn't share the food that he cooks for himself because he is lucky if he gets 2,500 calories per day which isn't good either and males need to have much more calories than females.
That makes no sense to me. I regularly cook meals that could feed six or eight in one go, as do many people every day of the week. There is no upper limit in terms of calories when it comes to cooking a meal and it takes no more effort or fuel, other than dealing with more volume (where it may help to have your partner do some chopping).

Have you ever fully discussed any of these issues regarding the causes of your restricted diet and consequent weight-loss with your BF or your MIL?

How much of the opposition you feel to you eating properly in your BF family's home is clearly and openly expressed by them and how much is just suggested or implied?
#27 Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
his mom has a problem with me cooking for only myself.
Is your BF's Mom OK with your BF cooking only for himself, as he currently does?
Would she be OK with you cooking for everyone, instead of only for yourself?

Does she want family members to stop 'only cooking for themselves'?
Is cooking 'only for yourself' and no-one else a thing that happens regularly in her home, as well as your BF doing it? I'm trying to understand her issue.

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-29-2016 at 03:27 PM.
#28 Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
He says that I need to eat more, but he thinks that I should be cooking for myself while he is at college and I'm at home with his mom but his mom has a problem with me cooking for only myself. That's why I was asking about calorie-dense foods that don't require cooking. He doesn't share the food that he cooks for himself because he is lucky if he gets 2,500 calories per day which isn't good either and males need to have much more calories than females.
Why doesn't his mom let you cook? Does she realize that you're hardly eating? I can't understand your boyfriend not sharing his food with you. Why doesn't he just cook more food so there's enough for you both? He just eats his meal in front of you while you go hungry? Are you sure you're in a healthy environment?
#29 Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I've been saying this for months and I stand by it: Freelee is dangerous. She puts an unhealthy emphasis on weight and appearance. Her diet plan has become so popular that most people seem to now conflate veganism with the consumption of an obscene amount of fruit and not much else. It isn't healthy, physically or psychologically. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it seems to me that a relaxed approach to food-- eating what you want when you're hungry, indulging in the occasional treat, neglecting to count calories-- must be far healthier than a strict, restrictive diet.
It's not restrictive or strict actually. She encourages people to eat as much as they want, it's their own fault if they only eat fruit. You can see the proof just by looking at her that her diet is the best for optimum health. She encourages veganism and feeling good, not appearance so I'd have to disagree with you.
#30 Old 01-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Is your BF's Mom OK with your BF cooking just for himself, as he currently does?
Would she be OK with you cooking for everyone, instead of just for yourself?

Does she want family members to stop 'just cooking for themselves'?
Is cooking 'just for yourself' and no-one else a thing that happens regularly in her home, as well as your BF doing it? I'm trying to understand her issue.
Her issue is using too much gas so she wants to limit the cooking. That's why she's okay with cooking for everyone, but not separately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page