The Phased Approach - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Banned

Right now I'm o/l vegetarian & overweight by about 70lbs. I want to change a lot (how I exercise, how I eat, etc) so I can be healthy in a holistic way, but I'm not one of those people who can do anything cold-turkey. So I came up with my phased approach, where I add something to my program and get really comfortable with it before trying to add something new. So far I just started Phase II.

Phase I: Walk 1.4 miles around my "block" daily. That's it.

Phase II: Walk + weight watchers

Phase III: Weight watchers, walking, weight train 3x week

Phase IV: Add 30 minutes of yoga 3x week (basically alternating weight training and yoga every other day)

Phase V: Step up from walking to jogging (a little at a time)

Phase VI: Remove egg yolks and any non-nonfat dairy from diet

Phase VII: Remove simple carbs (as much as possible) & artificial sweeteners from diet (i.e. white sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.)

Phase VIII: Remove eggs and dairy entirely from diet.

Phase IX: Increase to 4-7 fruits & vegetables per day

Phase X: Meditate 15 minutes / day

I figure I may stall on a phase, but at least I will be constantly progressing. And I won't be overwhelmed with feeling like there's too much that I need to change at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! That's an awesome, well thought out plan!
#3 Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Wow! Congrats for making a plan, it'll make it so much easier, I'm sure. How do you intend to decide when its time to move from one phase to another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post

Wow! Congrats for making a plan, it'll make it so much easier, I'm sure. How do you intend to decide when its time to move from one phase to another?

Thanks. I figure when I have 2 consistent weeks on a phase, I can move onto the next one. I chose 2 weeks because historically I can do pretty much anything for 7-10 days...and then I blow it. 2 full weeks usually means I've integrated it into my lifestyle.

We'll see, though!
#5 Old 08-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachina View Post

Thanks. I figure when I have 2 consistent weeks on a phase, I can move onto the next one. I chose 2 weeks because historically I can do pretty much anything for 7-10 days...and then I blow it. 2 full weeks usually means I've integrated it into my lifestyle.

Nice! 5 months or so to a brand new you! Congratulations on your plans!
#6 Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

that's a great plan

and i'm sure you'll even FEEL when you're ready to go to the next phase. who knows, you might start eating a lot of veggies a lot earlier than you think

well, good luck
#7 Old 08-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

What a terrific plan! I'm really impressed with the methodic way you've thought this out - it seems like a real path to change!

Take gentle care,

Jes
#8 Old 08-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Hmm... That actually doesn't look bad at all. I might do something like that for myself.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 08-26-2004, 05:50 PM

wow, I just recently started a diet (lost 10 lbs already/about 80 lbs over weight) and am very concerned about changing my lifestyle in order to keep the weight off. maybe creating a plan like this is something I should look at. btw it is a very similar method when I stopped smoking out of college...

very cool, keep us posted... and if you don't mind, I might post a plan on here...
#10 Old 08-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Where do you go to learn about yoga? I would love to learn how to do it too!
#11 Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro8 View Post

very cool, keep us posted... and if you don't mind, I might post a plan on here...

Oh, absolutely!! I'd love to see what everyone else is doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

Where do you go to learn about yoga? I would love to learn how to do it too!

I've got a videotape stuffed in a drawer somewhere. It's not a bad tape, I just haven't followed through with actually doing it (in fact, it's right next to my dumbbells, my Weight Watchers books, my pedometer, my swimsuit, my.... ) But I've also taken a class or two, and I like those better.
#12 Old 08-29-2004, 10:01 AM

OK here is my own personal 10 step program to a healthy life...

Phase I: Reduce calories to less than 2500 each day (I am in week 2 of this and it is actually going very well, have reduced my meal sizes considerably, and I am less hungry. I have been really focusing on being mindful of my eating and listening to my body so that I can throw in the towel when I am full.)

Phase II: Walk at least 1 mile each day

Phase III: Increase walking to at least 2 miles each day

Phase IV: Begin a stretching program each morning before work

Phase V: Begin lifting weights at a gym 3 x each week

Phase VI: Slowly begin to introduce jogging into my 2 mile walk

Phase VII: Begin to increase my intake of fruits and veggies to the normally recommended amount, while further reducing the amount of junk food I consume

Phase VIII: Remove all cheese from my diet

Phase IX: Begin a meditative exercise class 1 x each week (e.g.: yoga or tai chi)

Phase X: Begin jogging completely, slowly increasing my 2 miles each day

I am fully involved in step one and am feeling really good. I have lost a total of 15 lbs., and have quite a long ways to go. Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page