Portion Control - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Many people give veg*sm a try in order to lose weight. Many people give up veg*sm when they fail to lose weight or they find that they are gaining weight on a veg*n diet.

Unless someone lives like the stereotype of the vegetarian who eats only vegetables weight control can come up as an issue while on a veg*n diet.

Portion controll is often cited as a contributer to the obesity epidemic in North America as well as the epidemic of overweight individuals.

After years of being super sized North Americans have simply lost touch with what healthy portion sizes are.

This problem is made worse by switching to a diet of new foods where one has no sense of reference as to what a reasonable portion is.

90% of portion control and weight control is just knowing how much is too much.

The US RDA is based on an average person who needs 2000 calories a day.

Most people, especially women, smaller people, and sedentary people probably need a lot less.

An extra 250 calories a day will cause a weight gain of 1/2 pound a week, 2 pounds a month or 24 pounds in a year.

A big mac is between 500 - 600 calories.

1 bagel is about 300 calories

1 slice of bread is about 80 calories

1 cup of cooked whole grain is about 250 calories

1 cup of cooked legumes is about 250 calories

Same for about 1/4 - 1/3 block of tofu

2oz of dried pasta is about 200 calories, cooked, that amount of pasta is just enough to cover the surface area of the back of your hand.

1 tablespoon of nut butter is about 100 calories

1 tablespoon of oil is about 100 calories

Most beverages are about 100 - 200 calories per cup. If you are drinking anything other then water you are taking in a significant amount of calories that aren't filling you up like solid food would.

If you are new to a vegetarian diet or are trying to lose weight it might be worth your while to write down what you eat for two weeks and calculate the calories.

Studies have shown that most people underestimate the amount of food they take in. Keeping a log for two weeks can give you an idea of how many calories you are eating. It will also give you an idea of what the best portion size for you is of the foods you regularly eat.

All calories are equal in terms of the weight they will put on you, but not all calorie sources are equal in terms of how well they keep you filled up on fewer calories.

A can of soda and 2 - 3 apples are about equal in terms of calories. A can of soda will leave most people with "room for more" whereas eating 2-3 apples will make most people not want to eat.

They key is to choose foods that keep you feeling full longer on fewer calories.

While keeping a calorie log for two weeks it is useful to notice how well roughly equal amounts of calories from different foods keep you from being hungry.

In this respect beans, whole grains, vegetables, and little dabs of MEASURED fat ( nut butters, avocados, nuts ) will help you fill up on fewer calories.

Sweets, refined carbs, flour products, and even whole grain flour products will put more calories into you with less satisfaction.

This USDA site will tell you, quickly, what the nutrtion info is for just about any food:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

HTH

Steve

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Bagels are 230 calories. The plain ones, that is. I just checked ours..
#3 Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

FB - Not those huge bagel shop bagels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

mine are 330. i thinkg 300 is probably a pretty good guess if you're not sure though.
#5 Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Did I miss something? Is this a PSA?
#6 Old 08-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerbaboon View Post

Bagels are 230 calories. The plain ones, that is. I just checked ours..

Ahem! I said "about".......size counts

#7 Old 08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

PSA?

#8 Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

PSA?

Public Service Announcement

Anyway, good article
#9 Old 08-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

YES!

#10 Old 08-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's good that this was posted, a lot of questions have been centered around this kind of thing and now people can just look instead of repeating questions
#11 Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I am just seeing a lot of "down with fat people" on this board. And a sense of hypocrisy. In one thread we are telling dosh & others to "eat to live" and in other threads all the skinny veg*ns obsess on how not to get fat and how to make sure everyone else knows they should be skinny.
#12 Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

Down with fat people? Huh? I've never seen that. I went to college and had 3 different vegetarian roommates, all of whom were very overweight (ate WAY too much bread and cheese.) I think its ok to talk about these things since obesity can cause all sorts of problems - heart disease, diabetes, and good god if you are female, just go to webmd and look up some horrible uterine diseases you can get from being overweight (since more fat cause cause more estrogen) and you'll realize this is not about being skinny, it's about being healthy. One of my best friends who is beautiful but overweight (as in, she had always been overweight and it looked fairly healthy on her) is very sick with a uterine problem with no other risk factor but her weight. Yikes.

as vegetarians we should simply be more aware of our nutrition, and proper caloric intake is just a part of that. come to think of it, everyone should be that way, not just the vegheads like us ;-)
#13 Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I would have had a warmer/fuzzier feeling about the thread if it wasn't subtitled as such.
#14 Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Down with fat people? Huh? I've never seen that. I went to college and had 3 different vegetarian roommates, all of whom were very overweight (ate WAY too much bread and cheese.) I think its ok to talk about these things since obesity can cause all sorts of problems - heart disease, diabetes, and good god if you are female, just go to webmd and look up some horrible uterine diseases you can get from being overweight (since more fat cause cause more estrogen) and you'll realize this is not about being skinny, it's about being healthy. One of my best friends who is beautiful but overweight (as in, she had always been overweight and it looked fairly healthy on her) is very sick with a uterine problem with no other risk factor but her weight. Yikes.

as vegetarians we should simply be more aware of our nutrition, and proper caloric intake is just a part of that. come to think of it, everyone should be that way, not just the vegheads like us ;-)

heh, kinda ironic that you don't see anything in this post that would be offensive to someone who was over weight.

your poor roommates in college, and of course a list of reasons why everyone should be skinny...

then topping it off with the comment that we should simply be more aware of our nutrition and proper caloric intake...

not to offend anyone, just wanted to point that out...
#15 Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i picked up on that too, rincaro. ok, not exactly what you did. just a language thing.

regardless of diet, in much of the industrialized world there is a problem with people being overweight (over a healthy weight for their body type) and obese. Vegetarians are also suseptable (sp?) to this problem, just as anyone else is who does not maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle. A healthy diet is one that includes a variety of fresh foods from high-quality sources in the right amounts. a healthy lifestyle is one that includes exercise, happiness, and stress-reduction techniques.

it is possible for a person to be "fat," "curvy," "round," "voluptuous," and "soft" and still be healthy. These people are not "overweight" or "obese" which refers to a particular health problem usually related to diet and lifestyle, and sometimes related to certain psychological or physiological problems.

it is important to point out how we use terms and what we mean when we use them. Kreeli et al, founders of a related support thread, would call themselves "fat" and yet argue taht they are not "overweight," they are healthy for their body type, etc. So, that's tough. Similarly, there are more factors at play with being overweight/obese and eating disorders than what we say on boards about being healthy, being "fat" and being unhealthy. But, there are social factors too.

part of the reason why i posted about food addiction is because i suspect that it may be one of the keys to health for overweight/obese and those with eating disorders. There's a book by a Dr. Stark called Food Addiction, the Body Knows the Way that was suggested on the food addicts anonymous web site. i just checked it out from the library and have enjoyed reading it so far (woohoo! the introduction). I find the information very interesting and i think it's worth a look--particularly if you're interested in health in general.

So, while one person may be able to eat one bagel and be fine, a food addict would quickly purge, or binge, or starve themselves because this is the natural, biochemical, addictive reaction to the food susbstance of wheat/flour. So, portion size and portion control is just as meaningless to them as telling an alcoholic to only have one drink. similarly, on these boards on more than one occassion, people have said that meat and milk are "addictive"--if we entertain that idea, why won't we entertain that certain plant sources may be too?

Anyway, just a plug for my new hammer. i like learning new things.

Ok, back to the original point: language, lets be mindful!
#16 Old 08-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Why not just name the thread Portion Control? The "how not to be a fat veg*n" is offensive. Are you a RD?
#17 Old 08-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you punkmommy.
#18 Old 08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess I am just seeing a lot of "down with fat people" on this board. And a sense of hypocrisy. In one thread we are telling dosh & others to "eat to live" and in other threads all the skinny veg*ns obsess on how not to get fat and how to make sure everyone else knows they should be skinny.

It is not my intent to give that impression with my thread.

Being over fat is a contributer to many health issues. Many people have been bringing up weight control issues in relation to veg*ism.

My post was meant as a PSA and to avoid typing what I did in 1/2 dozen seperate threads.

#19 Old 08-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

beforewisdom:

i don't think anyone is accusing you of doing something hurtful intentionally. that's why it was pointed out. is it possible to edit the title of the thread to "portion control?"

i agree that language is important. over-fat is also a vague term. i think that we have generally agreed to use "overweight" to refer to people who are above their healthy weight, regardless of their actual size, weight, or body fat %. "fat" can refer to the lipids that we ingest for nutritional value, the lipids in our body (such as body fat %), or "round" or "voluptuous" bodies that are not overweight.

make sense? i think we all know that you weren't intentionally trying to hurt anyone. simple edits go a long way.
#20 Old 08-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Changed the title Reminder, this is not the heap.
#21 Old 08-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Changed the title Reminder, this is not the heap.

This thread was meant to be an aide to people who are interested in weight control.

It was never meant to be an insult or incite arguments.

Since you changed the title which some people found objectionable will you also delete the posts that reacted to this thread as if it were an insult?

#22 Old 08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I know it was meant as a helpful thing, not meant to incite argument. That statement wasn't directed at anyone.
#23 Old 08-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Baby Love

Portion control is a huge problem for me, especially with the veggie change. Without the guilt of eating animal based foods, I have the inaccurate mindset of 'If its vegan I should eat it'. The fact that I'm experimenting so much with new foods, increases my intake even more. I've gone beyond my habitual meals and snacks and dove into the cornacopia of choices out there. Everything just tastes so good I am also finding myself eating more to gain the emotional satisfaction I used to get with my old habitual foods. It will even itself out eventually. I just have to focus on basing meals on fruits and veggies and reminding myself that vegan cookies have calories, too!
#24 Old 08-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Portion control is a huge problem for me, especially with the veggie change. Without the guilt of eating animal based foods, I have the inaccurate mindset of 'If its vegan I should eat it'. The fact that I'm experimenting so much with new foods, increases my intake even more. I've gone beyond my habitual meals and snacks and dove into the cornacopia of choices out there. Everything just tastes so good I am also finding myself eating more to gain the emotional satisfaction I used to get with my old habitual foods. It will even itself out eventually. I just have to focus on basing meals on fruits and veggies and reminding myself that vegan cookies have calories, too!

I wouldn't worry, you can't absorp calories by rubbing tofu in your hair

#25 Old 08-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

I wouldn't worry, you can't absorp calories by rubbing tofu in your hair

Phew! Thats a relief
#26 Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Phew! Thats a relief

Just don't eat your shampoo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page