Weight and Veg*nism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I'm only on Day 9 as a vegetarian, I'm focusing on learning how to eat within the lifestyle and not so much on counting points with Weight Watchers. As I have lost over 30 pounds on WW, I'm afraid of gaining weight and becoming a fat vegetarian if I steer away from the program. I will eventually start counting points again, but for now I need to focus on the vegetarian part. Is it likely that I could get fat on a vegetarian diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

..if your eating nothing but junk food..of course your going to gain weight/be unhealthy..

im sure its possible to maintain weight..or lose some..through eating plenty of fruits and veggies..and find some good sources of protien..grains..etc..

there are quite a few members on vb who count points...and as far as i know..it works just fine for them..

good luck..
#3 Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Just make sure you dont intake more than you outake! I'd stick to veggies, fruits, whole grains, whole wheat, healthy snacks, whole wheat pasta and rice and soyfoods. Don't overeat and I'm sure you'll be just fine! Veggies get to eat more because there isn't much fat in a veggie diet hehe. Well, except for nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

First of all, congrats on your loss. ^^ My Mom did the same thing as you with WW -- from what I can tell, it seems to be a very healthy program for the most part.

Whereas vegetarians TEND to be thinner, as far as I know, there is still the possibility of gaining weight on a vegetarian diet. You just need to know what things to eat for a healthy lifestyle. For example, chips and candy are vegetarian (not vegan), but both are unhealthy for you.

In short, it can go either way. It's up to you and what you choose to consume.
#5 Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 PM

Definitely read some books on vegetarian nutrition, such as Becoming Vegetarian. They will help you enormously in making the right eating choices.
#6 Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM

Watch your pasta, potatoes and bread. Also watch the prepackaged stuff (veggie burgers, fake chicken, etc). Don't overdo it on any of those and you'll be fine. Those are the things I feel back on right from the get. Initially I gained weight. Mix it up with alot of whole grains (they make you feel fuller) and fresh fruits and veggies. Don't forget to get enough fluids too. Just make healthy choices and use common sense.
#7 Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i have gained about 25lbs since i went vegan (from 185 to 210) but thats because of my eating habits. I eat a big dinner right b4 bed (I get off work at midnite, come home, eat, goof around for a bit, then bed) plus I drank a fair amount of booze (you really gotta watch the calories there.. I was shocked when i found out how many calories i was taking in w/ my drinking). When I was an omni I weighed about 210, but when i went vegetarian, i went down to about 185. I stayed there for a bit till I got my current job. Part of the weight is muscle of course (I work in a granite countertop shop so i hafta do a fair amount of heavy lifting), but ya. I've decided to commit to loosing all that weight. As others have said, as long as you watch what you eat, and when you eat it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you have tendencies to binge (on bad for you that is.. if you binge on carrots I don't know if i would worry *too* much about it) or to eat sweets late at nite, you may want to stick to some sort of structured plan (like WW). I know some (including me) works better in a structured environment, even if its arbitrary, so if thats you, you may wanna stick to it, at least somewhat. If you aren't that type of person though, just enjoy your new lifestyle
#8 Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladthedog View Post

plus I drank a fair amount of booze (you really gotta watch the calories there.. I was shocked when i found out how many calories i was taking in w/ my drinking).

That is so true...booze will definitely put pounds on you!!
#9 Old 08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyNYC View Post

Since I'm only on Day 9 as a vegetarian, I'm focusing on learning how to eat within the lifestyle and not so much on counting points with Weight Watchers. As I have lost over 30 pounds on WW, I'm afraid of gaining weight and becoming a fat vegetarian if I steer away from the program. I will eventually start counting points again, but for now I need to focus on the vegetarian part. Is it likely that I could get fat on a vegetarian diet?

Yes, it is possible to get very fat on a vegetarian or a vegan diet.

Plenty of calories to go around.

If you are interested in losing weight ( and being healthy )

1. drink water, it only takes an extra 250 calories a day to put on 25

pounds a year and most drinks have this many calories.

2. minimize sweets

3. minimize consumption of flour products, even whole grain flour

products. Avoid refined carbohydrates, including white rice.

Stay out of the junkatarian trap of the "pasta, bagel, and french fry

diet".

4. eat more vegetables.

5. don't use hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils

Read the links in my sig

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#10 Old 08-18-2004, 08:53 PM

As long as you're eating mostly healthy whole foods, you'll probably be fine. Stick to stuff like grains, fruits, veggies, legumes, etc that have lots of fiber to make you full. They're also pretty low cal. Unless you're eating A LOT of stuff like peanut butter or nuts and seeds, you'll be okay.
#11 Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezzoEmi View Post

For example, chips and candy are vegetarian (not vegan), but both are unhealthy for you.

In short, it can go either way. It's up to you and what you choose to consume.

I agree that they are unhealthy, but who said chips and candy couldn't be vegan? Most chips ARE vegan! lol
#12 Old 08-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just gonna say that Kerouac!

<<<< potato chips my *huge* weakness
#13 Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

WW has a vegetarian point booklet that may help you transition easily to a WW friendly vegetarian diet it. They also have one for vegans. if you ask your local meeting, you should be able to get them. my mother got them for me when she was on the program. it was pretty cool.

all the best and congrats on your current losses!
#14 Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

They have veg*n booklets? Oooh! I gotta ask for those!
#15 Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I suggest eating an all raw vegan diet. For maximum weight loss, try it sometime! Just for a week...you'll be suprised at the results and how different you'll feel!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladthedog View Post

plus I drank a fair amount of booze (you really gotta watch the calories there.. I was shocked when i found out how many calories i was taking in w/ my drinking).

Thank goodness I don't drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

WW has a vegetarian point booklet that may help you transition easily to a WW friendly vegetarian diet it. They also have one for vegans. if you ask your local meeting, you should be able to get them.

ooh, that's great news!

Thanks for the congratulations and all the tips, everyone! Drinking a lot of water and eliminating soda, even diet soda, will be my first step.

Now, I just have to be careful of my prepackaged food consumption. I have many Boca products in my freezer.
#17 Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

After the week, you can reflect and incorporate more *RAW* into your daily plan. It really works and is so healthy! A great way to live a "low-impact" lifestyle too!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#18 Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

We are trying to do that. Vegan, raw, wholefoods. Trying to be the uber healthy family.
#19 Old 08-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't eat all raw, but i think my daily intake is about 75% raw. i love raw fruits and veggies, and it really does make a difference between raw and cooked. but, whole foods, cooked, are also good.

i made baked pears the other day because, even though it's august, it was like an autumn day--they were yummy.
#20 Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 AM

When you say raw, what exactly do you eat? I'm not very creative and all I can think of is salad and carrot sticks.

(I'm just now getting used to being vegetarian, so I'm not really creative with veggie meals either so maybe that's why.)
#21 Old 08-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

all uncooked fruits and veggies are considered raw....and i think theres even raw peanuts..almonds..etc..
#22 Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 PM

Well, I knew that, I meant what are some examples of what you eat. I couldn't imagine eating raw green beans or raw peas,or raw potatoes. I guess I could if I got used to it but right now I think it would being very blech!
#23 Old 08-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh autumn is my favorite time to cook!!!!!!! Baked pears and cinnamon YUM!
#24 Old 08-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Oh my. That sounds good
#25 Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Baby Love

The first time I went vegan, I lost 20lbs. However, that was before I discovered vegan junk food. I was eating a mainly whole food diet. Being vegetarian, vegan, or onmi has little direct effect on your weight. You can overconsume any type of food. Fill up on fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Eat calorically dense foods in moderation. You'll be fine
#26 Old 08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

What's scary is that I'm practically terrified of eating fruits and vegetables. I've had this odd fear since I was about two. I don't know why. Sometimes I'm able to force myself to eat the chunks that I'll find in the health food store's chili (which is mostly brown rice & TVP), but that's about as far as it goes vegetable wise. With fruits, sometimes I'll have a smoothie or some of that Odwalla fruit juice I'd mentioned before... Any tips? I've been really thin all my life but I'd like to be healthy...
#27 Old 08-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

mmm... whats the recipe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page