October Weight Loss Challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

October Weight Loss Challenge

I don't normally start these threads, but I can't sleep and I'm obsessing about being fat, so here we are.

My goals this month:
Join a gym and begin normal gym routine like I do every time I actually lose weight.

Group goal:
Everyone should do one new good thing for themselves this month, and post with what yours is.
LedBoots and H=N/C like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

LETS DO THIS!!! Ah, yeah.

#3 Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I don't normally start these threads, but I can't sleep and I'm obsessing about being fat, so here we are.
Check out Eat to Live, by Joel Fuhrman. He teaches a diet of unlimited fruits, veggies and legumes with a small amount of nuts/seeds. You fill up on low-calorie/high-nutrient food with lots of fiber and resistant starch. The more you eat the more weight you lose. My friend's dad was 65lbs overweight and just by eating this way (zero exercise) he lost 50lbs.

On a lighter note, I'm a 26-yr-old guy, 5'8" / 120lbs. How much weight should I lose this month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM

I'd like to join this October weight loss challenge. I have about 30 pounds to lose. I have not been a member of a forum for quite some time now, and I miss the motivation that I received from all the kind people along the way. I hope to find that here, as well as help others in their journeys.

My current weight is 170, and I'd like to be around 140 ideally. But any weight loss is welcome since it's been so hard for me to shed even a pound or two.

I am getting married in just under a year from now, and I would like to be back in shape, and in general a much healthier person inside and out. I was blessed and also burdened with an amazing chef fiancé, who cooks me wonderful things, but not always so healthy.. this is an obstacle I must tackle and concur.

For now I am shooting for 10-15 pounds this month. I probably have a good 5-6 pounds of water weight alone to lose, it shall be easy. It's the sticking to it thing, that gets me!
danakscully64, River and NightOwl like this.
#5 Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

How is everyone doing so far?

I ate fantastically the last couple days, found a gym I am going to join on Monday and am taking a kundalini yoga class, which I adore.
LedBoots likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#6 Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned

I've been too busy with work to eat enough the last few days so now I'm down from 120 to 117. How's that for October weight loss?
#7 Old 10-04-2014, 03:09 PM

I would love to join this! It'd be nice to have a support system out there.

Since 2009 I've lost about 100 lbs and losing the last 20ish lbs has been super hard. Maybe this will get my butt motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C
On a lighter note, I'm a 26-yr-old guy, 5'8" / 120lbs. How much weight should I lose this month?
Looks like you might want to gain some weight instead of lose! For men, depending on your frame type, you should weigh between 140 and 170 at that height. Please take care of yourself D':

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat8
My current weight is 170, and I'd like to be around 140 ideally. But any weight loss is welcome since it's been so hard for me to shed even a pound or two.
We're about in the same boat. I feel like I'm always within the same 3-4 lb range when I plateau and it's so discouraging. If you have a Myfitnesspal app or anything I'd love to add you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River
I ate fantastically the last couple days, found a gym I am going to join on Monday and am taking a kundalini yoga class, which I adore.
I just started getting into hot yoga this month. It's really so great mentally and physically. After changing my body for others it's nice to find something that's just for me. I think I've almost cried in a few yoga classes everyone is so kind and so loving (even when I can't get anywhere near the correct pose). What exactly is kundalini?

I think I'll set the goal of doing yoga 5 times a week- and if not hit the gym I already have a membership for. The more I look at yoga and the gym as "me time" instead of "ugh I'm tired this is awful ughhh sweat in my eeeyes" the easier and more amazing it feels.
#8 Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Kundalini yoga is very restorative. Most of the posts focus on the neck and spine. The idea is that it will release the energy in your kundalini or root chakra to your crown chakra.

It's very relaxing after a long day, one of my favorite parts of the day actually. I went to India this past summer and when we were in Goa we spent entire days just doing yoga on the beach and now that I'm back I'm trying to include it more generally into my day.

And I agree, H=N/C, you should not lose weight.

Quote:
#9 Old 10-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Yoga on the beach in India? Sounds so amazing oh my goodness. What an amazing way to stay mentally and physically well.
#10 Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesVeegs View Post
Yoga on the beach in India? Sounds so amazing oh my goodness. What an amazing way to stay mentally and physically well.
It really was, I wish I'd never have had to come home.

Quote:
#11 Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't been doing that great because I ran out of food to pack for work and haven't had time to go shopping. I'm going to try to go shopping today to pick up a few things. I might do a few workout videos from SparkPeople too. It's easier for me to eat healthy during the week because I usually work Fri-Sunday.

River likes this.
#12 Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I find it easier to eat health while I'm working, because I'm a bored eater. If I have half a chance, ilk just sit around and eat all day.

Quote:
#13 Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I find it easier to eat health while I'm working, because I'm a bored eater. If I have half a chance, ilk just sit around and eat all day.
I'm definitely a bored eater, but it's easier for me to put away a 1,500 calorie lunch at work than 1,500 in snacks at home Restaurant food is the reason I'm 25 pounds heavier, it's evil

River likes this.
#14 Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I went to India this past summer and when we were in Goa we spent entire days just doing yoga on the beach and now that I'm back I'm trying to include it more generally into my day.
That's where they filmed the first scene in the sequel to the Bourne Identity. He's running on the beach at dawn. Very scenic place. Were you there for work or vacation?
#15 Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C View Post
That's where they filmed the first scene in the sequel to the Bourne Identity. He's running on the beach at dawn. Very scenic place. Were you there for work or vacation?
Vacation, thank goodness. I'd have hated to waste such a gorgeous place on work.

Quote:
#16 Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 AM

Hello I am new to these forums and would like to join. I am a new vegetarian transitioning to vegan (need to cut out cheese and yogurt) anyways I have lost 75 lbs this year and have about another 75 to 100 to go. I exercise 6 days a week for 2 hours and eat clean. I feel great just need to lose the rest of this weight and cut out the dairy
#17 Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Good luck Brandy! I am sure you will do fabulously.

Today I joined a gym, I plan to restart early tomorrow. I know I planned to do it earlier this month, but I got a cold and out seems gross to go to a gym sick.

Quote:
#18 Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I've been eating so much better lately.... and I'm UP one pound. Damn it.

#19 Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Oof, maybe it's water weight.

Quote:
#20 Old 10-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I hope so, but I doubt it. My body hates diets, it always fights against losing weight to the extreme. When I was working out 5 days a week and tracking food, I didn't lose a single ounce in 2 months.

I can't gain another pound, I will not allow that to happen. That would mean.... 150.

#21 Old 10-10-2014, 11:19 AM

I'm an older woman who really packed on the post menopause pounds and nothing I had tried in the past was able to budge the fat at all. It was infuriating since I had never had a problem with weight up until then. I ballooned up to 172 pounds which was around a 50 pound gain in just five years. Yeah, I was kind of a junk food vegan so I definitely contributed to my issues but, even when I made the decision to really clean up my diet, absolutely nothing happened. No scale movement whatsoever.

Recently I decided to try some of the Beachbody programs - late night television infomercials are the devil - but, to my surprise, somehow managed to lose around 12 pounds so far and about 7 inches total which, for me, is unbelievable progress. This month I added in resistance training and I'm pretty pleased with the results even at this early stage. I haven't lost any more weight yet but I can see changes in my body. Things that sort of stuck out and wobbled are now shifting and tightening. My pants need a belt! I'm also eating very plain food (following the eating plan for one of my programs) while making sure that I'm eating enough calories because I think my prior efforts were hampered by trying to calorie cut too much.

I'm hoping by the end of the month I can see maybe another 5 pounds which would leave me with only 25 pounds to go to my goal weight of 130.
danakscully64, River and LedBoots like this.
#22 Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

That's wonderful! Good job!

I think I'm going to hold off weighing myself for a few weeks while I get accustomed to going back to the gym.

Quote:
#23 Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
I'm an older woman who really packed on the post menopause pounds and nothing I had tried in the past was able to budge the fat at all. It was infuriating since I had never had a problem with weight up until then. I ballooned up to 172 pounds which was around a 50 pound gain in just five years. Yeah, I was kind of a junk food vegan so I definitely contributed to my issues but, even when I made the decision to really clean up my diet, absolutely nothing happened. No scale movement whatsoever.

Recently I decided to try some of the Beachbody programs - late night television infomercials are the devil - but, to my surprise, somehow managed to lose around 12 pounds so far and about 7 inches total which, for me, is unbelievable progress. This month I added in resistance training and I'm pretty pleased with the results even at this early stage. I haven't lost any more weight yet but I can see changes in my body. Things that sort of stuck out and wobbled are now shifting and tightening. My pants need a belt! I'm also eating very plain food (following the eating plan for one of my programs) while making sure that I'm eating enough calories because I think my prior efforts were hampered by trying to calorie cut too much.

I'm hoping by the end of the month I can see maybe another 5 pounds which would leave me with only 25 pounds to go to my goal weight of 130.
A woman I met through VB encouraged me to buy a Beachbody program. I have it, I just haven't been able to use it because my Sciatic nerve gets triggered by the workout. High intensity workouts are too much for my body because of my job (serving).

I'm glad you found something that works for you! Which video are you doing?

#24 Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM

I started with the 21 Day Fix because I found the idea of the different colored food containers appealing since I'm a very visual person. For me, knowing what a proper portion size is and actually adhering to it are two totally different things. The containers forced me to eat much more mindfully.

The eating plan determines which calorie range you need to be in to get adequate nutrition while being maintaining enough of a calorie deficit to lose and then, based on what tier you're in, will outline how many of each type of container you're allowed for the day. For example, when I started I was in the 2nd tier and was allowed between 1500 - 1799 calories a day. That worked out to 4 red containers (protein), 4 green (veggies), 3 purple (fruit), 3 yellow (carbs), 1 blue (nuts or hummus) and 4 teaspoons for either olive oil. peanut or nut butters. Vegans especially are allowed an extra green container if you're still hungry and I took advantage of that several times. According to the plan, you eat 5 times a day. 3 meals, 2 snacks.

The exercise part is high intensity but every single exercise can be modified and the camera makes a point of focusing on the modifier, a middle aged woman, who obviously isn't yet in the best of shape. When I did the first cycle, I modified everything! I was in such bad shape that even the warm ups were overwhelming some days. It's definitely doable even with chronic injuries or pain. I have a really bad right knee but I was careful and finished the program without even a twinge.

After I finished the Fix, I bought Chalean Extreme which is more about resistance training although there are two days a week that are cardio. Like the Fix, each exercise can be modified and they feature at least one person in each session who needs to modify all the exercises.

Which one did you buy? I've been thinking about trying Turbofire after I finish Extreme but I have a few months to go before I need to decide that.
danakscully64 and LedBoots like this.
#25 Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I have TurboFire

#26 Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Beginner

I'm training for a 5k to up my fitness level (I'm SUPER out of shape).
Combining that with watching what I eat to try and drop about 10lbs of emotional eating residue I've got going on (I miss my clothes).

Also just got a month-long membership at a yoga place near me, but my first class was really unpleasant and they pack way too many people into that room. Seriously, everyone had mats in assigned spaces and one chick stepped on another's ponytail.
#27 Old 10-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
I'm definitely a bored eater, but it's easier for me to put away a 1,500 calorie lunch at work than 1,500 in snacks at home Restaurant food is the reason I'm 25 pounds heavier, it's evil
This is my problem also. I have been wanting to go vegan for sometime but craved cheese and ended up going back. This is my first day as Vegan and I am going to just focus on staying vegan the rest of the month and see if some weight comes off.
#28 Old 10-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
This is my problem also. I have been wanting to go vegan for sometime but craved cheese and ended up going back. This is my first day as Vegan and I am going to just focus on staying vegan the rest of the month and see if some weight comes off.
Congrats on trying!

For me, the trick to giving up cheese was keeping great guacamole (I like the fresh Whole Foods type, don't like the fresh type Giant makes, am ok with Wholly Guacamole and Avocado's Number) and hummus around. Both = totally craveable.
#29 Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 PM

I'm glad to see people are doing so well! Weight is super weird so the gaining a pound after a week of hard work seems normal. I know I'm lightest in the morning and refuse to weigh myself at night because it gives me major anxiety.

This week has been hot yoga left and right and the sting of sweat in your eyes burns so good.
#30 Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
Cheese is my downfall!! Good luck!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page