• 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By Ginariffic
  • 1 Post By clarita osita
  • 1 Post By Aristede
  • 1 Post By clarita osita

#1 Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

July Challenge

Welcome to July! Summer's in full swing, at least in the northern hemisphere - if you're in the southern hemisphere, I'm sorry it's winter (unless you like winter). Let's keep moving as much as we want/can!

This is a place to post health-related goals, questions, advice, and suggestions. Some people choose to post specific weight or calorie numbers, so if that's a problem for you please be aware.

Happy July!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I did better than expected in June. Lost 6 lbs, most of it in the last week, after being stuck at a plateau for a couple months. So I'm hoping to keep that going, meaning keep running and eating lots of fruit.

Goals for July:
-run 3x a week (doing Couch to 5K)
-free Saturday Zumba
-free Sunday yoga

-keep up the fruit
-kale or swiss chard at least 2x a week (plus other greens)
-more calcium and iron (I haven't been getting enough of these the past couple weeks)
-keep tracking food at least 6 days/week

-hip stretches twice daily
-get up on time, seriously, stop sleeping in every single day (I feel like I can always sleep more, is that weird?)

Good luck everybody!
#3 Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

For the month of July, it's my goal to continue the great success that I had last month. I walked 114.4 miles last month and burned approximately 26,000 calories. In July, I'm going to push my total to 125 miles and try to burn around 29,000 calories. I've also started incorporating more light weight lifting, more resistance stretching, hip stretches (love these since they help me walk even further and faster!), and I'm going to try to do more power-walking. I've done a bit of jogging, but I'm avoiding running for the most part since it's a bit too high-impact right now (occasionally, I'll run a 1/8 or 1/4 mile to get my heart pumping, but then I go back to walking/power-walking).

As for diet, I've been doing really well with incorporating greens in my diet. Rarely does a day pass that I haven't had some spinach, kale, or cabbage. I've been drinking more water of late since it's warm, but I need to drink more since often I don't feel thirsty until long after I'm in need of water. I did pretty decently with not going overboard on sweets in June, so I need to continue to do the same in July. Fortunately, the weather has been fair for walking (save all of the rainy days).

Well, good luck, everyone!

Aristede
LedBoots likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not allowed to have any more cinnamon buns for the month of July... I have a problem.
Aristede likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Aristede - that is some serious ground you covered last month! Sounds like you're doing great.

Werewolf Girl - you can TOTALLY do a month without them.
Aristede likes this.
#6 Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarita osita View Post
Aristede - that is some serious ground you covered last month! Sounds like you're doing great.

Werewolf Girl - you can TOTALLY do a month without them.
I'm getting the shakes already...
LedBoots likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha!

So, I missed Zumba yesterday AND yoga today... one of those weekends. Also not doing great on drinking enough water, but I'm working on it.
#8 Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Hi, so my diet went to Hell because my boyfriend and I decided to make my early birthday my early birthday week, but I am determined to be back on track.

My Goals for this month:
-Cultivate two non-culinary interests because I have a stress-cooking problem.
-Storm the community gym (once it actually opens) 3 times per week.
-Convince a friend to go swimming as often as I can (I have epilepsy such that swimming by myself is a no no)
-Come up with twenty vegan recipes that will carry to school for my very long days
-Lose a pant size
Aristede and Werewolf Girl like this.
#9 Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I know it doesn't seem like much, but today I'm excited that I lost a pound after plateauing for the past six weeks. I've lost 36 pounds since April 2013 and I'm only five pounds away from reaching my goal.

Goals for this month are
- Drink 8 cups of water a day
- Walk or walk/run 30 minutes a day
- strength train 2x/ week
#10 Old 07-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginariffic View Post
Hi, so my diet went to Hell because my boyfriend and I decided to make my early birthday my early birthday week, but I am determined to be back on track.

My Goals for this month:
-Cultivate two non-culinary interests because I have a stress-cooking problem.
-Storm the community gym (once it actually opens) 3 times per week.
-Convince a friend to go swimming as often as I can (I have epilepsy such that swimming by myself is a no no)
-Come up with twenty vegan recipes that will carry to school for my very long days
-Lose a pant size
If you need quick and easy food ideas for school this is a great article: https://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...ed-lunch-ideas

Also I'm doing okay with my goals, I've been doing a lot of walking and drinking water and so far NO cinnamon buns.
LedBoots likes this.

#11 Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Thank you, Werewolf Girl!

As for my goals, the calorie intake front needs work, but I went to the gym with friends on Friday and am going again on Monday (I don't have a membership until Fall when my classes resume, but can tag along with a buddy.) I have run twice in the last week. I really need to work on consistency, so I am going to start logging everything I do.

As for non-culinary hobbies, I am learning to crochet and I spoke with my mentor about learning to code and got a few books from the SO about that.

No friends have gone swimming with me yet, but I am not discouraged.
Aristede likes this.
#12 Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Keep up the great work, Ginarrific!

I've been continuing with walking and some weightlifting, but my schedule this week has been really hectic. Since my schedule has been busy, I haven't yet made my goal of walking 30 miles a week (at least).

The first week of July I walked 21 miles and last week I walked 24.3. So far this week I've walked 13 miles, so I should be able to get in five more each day for the rest of this week. So hopefully, by the end of this week I'll be at 28 miles for the week, which is closer to my goal.

Aristede

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#13 Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Intake is better.
I have also lost a pound since last post.
Aristede likes this.
#14 Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I failed. Cinnamon buns are in the oven.

It's all danaskully's fault for taunting me with cinnamon bun pictures on Facebook!

However besides that I have been eating fairly healthy, and I've started working out again. My thighs hurt from doing squats!
Aristede likes this.

#15 Old 07-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, besides the cinnamon buns, it sounds like everyone's doing quite well! One-time cinnamon buns won't kill you. But TWO times... maybe. Heehee.

I only ran twice this week instead of three times, but I did Insanity once instead, so that's fine. I also went to zumba today... wonderful, but oww.

Not doing great on food the last few days. We've all been busy and my cousin's car has been in the shop for 3 weeks, so getting groceries has been tough. But the car is fixed and even though I'm going to get even busier, hopefully she'll be able to go to the store.

I weighed myself today, and seem to have gained 4 lbs. But then again, I go up and down almost time I weigh, so I'm trying not to put too much stock in that. My weight isn't very consistent in either staying the same or steadily going down. Oh well. I'm sure a few days of questionable food choices aren't helping, but the exercise hopefully is, at least a little.
#16 Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a physical the other day since I'm planning to move to the Middle East to teach next month. Apparently, I weigh the same as I did at my last physical... Well there are two explanations: 1) I gained weight after my last physical (1.5 years ago) and all of the eating right and exercising I've been doing just worked off that gained weight AND/OR 2) some of my "fat" (haha) changed to muscle mass; so instead of losing as much weight, I gained some muscle mass, I'm assuming. That would make some sense, since my legs are definitely more toned than they used to be (strong calves! muscle!) and my arms and thighs are the same way. All of my clothes don't fit as well since most of them are just too big. Also with walking as much as I have been (hundreds of miles over the last few months) I can't believe that I wouldn't have lost some weight...

Well, clarita osita, I've had some days here and there of questionable food choices, so I need to watch that. In general, my diet hasn't been bad though. Also my schedule has been busier than usual and that maeks it harder to get my exercise in all the time (though I still try to exercise between 4-5 times a week).

It's a journey...

Aristede

Last edited by Aristede; 07-25-2014 at 08:19 PM.
#17 Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Beginner

I lost three pounds this week. yay.
Aristede likes this.
#18 Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Aristede, yeah, it's definitely a journey! I seem to have dropped right back to where I was, so... whatever. My eating hasn't been great this week, either, though, because I started working and it's totally thrown off my schedule working these ridiculous hours. Tomorrow is always another day (and an early-morning bus to work)!
Aristede likes this.
#19 Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, July is coming to a close. I didn't do as well with my exercise regimen as I did last month, but I still did a decent job. My stats are down 18% from June and I think it's for several reasons: I was busier in July than in June, I took a few more rests days in July than June, and I think the novelty of my walking plan is wearing of. It was all cool and fun in June, but I think it's time for me to shake my routine up. So I'm going to look into doing some different things in August.

Well, here are the stats:

Walking:

July Totals:

93.8 total miles
21,558 kcal burned
248,868 total steps
145,389 aerobic steps
131.3 steps/min on average

Aristede
LedBoots likes this.

#20 Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Aristede, you still did pretty darn well! Definitely try some new things to keep you interested.

I didn't do all that well on exercise, either - I haven't run in two weeks! The erratic work schedule (I got a job!) hasn't helped. Tried to go to zumba today, but it was cancelled. I did, however, lose 5 pounds in the last two weeks. I guess chasing dogs at work is helpful. Haha.

I'll make the August thread now. Maybe see some of you there!
Aristede likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page