How to drop baby weight. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2014, 11:33 PM

How to drop baby weight.

I exclusively breast feed my 20 week old son (he is HUGE!) but I've not lost a pound of my 30 pound pregnancy weight gain (argh!).

I think my portions are pretty shocking since getting preggo, so I'm going to start eating off a smaller plate, but what else can I do to drop the weight? I eat really healthily, I home cook every meal besides the odd meal out and even then I go for the healthy options - I drink loads of water and I do pilates, yoga and lots of baby wearing/dog walking. How do you guys control your portions? When I ate meat (years ago) I ate much less but veggie food is much nicer and lighter and I am a bottomless pit!

This is gross, but I know I must be eating huge amounts because I am pooping like never before! I look after my son 24/7, so I don't have time for any more exercise than I already do (which is actually quite allot)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Limit the quantity of oil you use. Measure with a spoon, not your eyes, so you don't overdue it with the oil.
#3 Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Did you get your period yet? I didn't start losing my baby weight until I got my period then every month I lost about 6-7lbs after my period when baby was one year I pretty much was back to my pre pregnancy weight! Keep breast feeding that burns 300 calories a day! It just takes time really a whole year my son is now 16months I've lost all the baby weight but I still have a pooch in my belly from it being stretched out so far I went from 113 to 170...! Think about it ... Everything stretched a lot especially your stomach it is going to take time for your skin to firm back...

Youtube fitness blender yoga and pilates and postpartum work outs... They are amazing!

Do you take baby on walks in the stroller if so try and jog with baby and the stroller that will really tone everything out !

Last edited by CatherineLove; 06-29-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Think about it a lot of that baby fat is your body storing fat and nutrients for your babies breast milk so be happy about that ! Once I lost my baby weight I lost my breast milk too (1-2oz each boob) but that is just my body =[

Why do you think it is harder for women to loose the baby weight when they don't breast feed? It is because their bodies didn't turn that reserved body fat into breast milk like it was suppose to! Our bodies are beautiful they prepare ourselves for everything..!
#5 Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I control portion sizes by measuring, mostly, and also by eating more slowly (which can be hard to do with a baby needing attention) - it takes your stomach a good 20 minutes to realize you're eating, and tell you to stop. So if you gobble down a bunch in 3 minutes, it's going to still be saying "FEED ME NOW!!" but actually you've eaten plenty. Repeated large portions can also stretch your stomach out so it takes more food to fill it. By having smaller portions, your stomach will eventually get used to the smaller amount.

Also, you could try swapping in lower calorie foods. You didn't really talk about what you eat so I'm going to make some general suggestions.

If you are able to (and I know it's tough with a baby), tracking your food intake would be great. There are plenty of websites and smartphone apps (if you have a smartphone) for it, and it will give you a better idea of what you're actually taking in. I like MyFitnessPal because it lets me customize my intake goals. For example, I told it my goal is 70% calories from carbohydrates, 15% each fat/protein, more than the RDA of fiber, and 150% of my iron intake (since vegan iron sources are probably less bioavailable and I haven't been getting enough of it lately). So I can fiddle with it and use personalized goals. By doing that, you'll see if you even need to be cutting calories, and if you do, what you're eating the most of.

The exercise you're doing is great, but, as you obviously know, controlling what you eat is just as important (and probably more important). The suggestion to be careful with oil is a good one. You definitely need to make sure your getting healthy fats for your breastmilk, but oil is 100% fat, and it's really easy to overuse it. Avocado has more than just fat in it, so might be a better choice - just remember not to eat the whole thing at once if you're trying to cut down on your fat intake.

Other suggestions would be fruit as snacks, and higher calorie foods (rice, beans, potato, etc) paired with larger quantities of lower calorie foods (lettuce, veggies with little or no oil).

I don't have experience losing baby weight, so these are just general weight-loss suggestions. Your body might just not be ready to let go of the weight yet, I don't know. But I would definitely try fiddling with your intake and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page