what do you do ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By patriotsjunkie
  • 1 Post By Jordy Verrill

#1 Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM

what do you do ?

just curious about what you're doing to actively lose weight (if you are)? i was previously following weight watchers, but then read "eat to live" and decided to quit "counting" everything (which makes me a bit obsessive) and just focus on eating a lot of veggies/ fruits/ nuts/ seeds and cut out most processed stuff.

old habits die hard i suppose. i am tracking stuff in my fitness pal (MFP) which is a free calorie counting website.

i am finding that by following a vegan diet, without a lot of processed garbage, i am falling below the recommended calorie range.

i guess the QOTD is = is this ok? i am quite overweight, and really need to lose a bunch, and have started exercising, and being mindful about what i am eating. is it absolutely necessary to meet a minimum of calories per day if i am eating an abundance of produce and feeling satisfied?

thanks for listening i know that was long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

That wasn't long at all !

QOTD? quote of the day? i've got to google most acronyms!

By far the the most successful eating I've done is by following the Eat to Live plan. Just real whole foods, prepared simply. No added sugar, no bags of snacky things. Water, tea and morning coffee. Green smoothies. If you have to read ingredients, you shouldn't eat it.
But then there comes the rebellion I'm faced with now. I did that plan for years. I felt great, physically and mentally. When I broke from it it was willfully, not like I "fell off", I made a very concious decision at a down point in my life. Ironically, that was probably the best thing I had going in my favor.
Now I'm finding it so hard to get back on! I KNOW if I just buckled down and stuck to the program it wouldn't be long before the cravings left. I've done it! It just takes willpower and a real want.
It's not expensive. I buy the sale produce at Aldis and organic on sale. Beans and stuff in bulk. There is no real counting or tracking, it's more about not eating what you shouldn't eat. Moderation is by far what keeps me wanting those foods. Excluding them stops that want.
#3 Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Banned

Question of the day I'm guessing

As long as you are eating balanced meals (carbs, proteins, fruit & veg etc.) then it's no different to any other 'diet' (word used in the true sense) that drops below the minimum calorie recommendation. As you are currently overweight then it's not an issue at the moment.

Last edited by 60225; 06-14-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: damn typos .... grrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
If you have to read ingredients, you shouldn't eat it.
As someone who has recently studied foods and food additives, I can tell you that this is wrong. There are plenty of food additives that have been rigorously tested and proven to be safe. There are many additives that are somewhat risky though, so read the ingredients if you're worried.

But as a rule processed does not equal bad.
#5 Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsjunkie View Post
....and decided to quit "counting" everything (which makes me a bit obsessive) and just focus on eating a lot of veggies/ fruits/ nuts/ seeds and cut out most processed stuff.
With vegetables, there can be too much of a good thing. Vegetables have very low calorie density so your diet cannot be dominated by them and you'll under eat. To boost your calories you can add whole grains, legumes and potatoes all these supply a good amount of calories but not so much that they are easy to over consume.

I'm not a fan of "eat to live", I've seen a lot o people lose weight trying it but I've yet to see someone stick to the diet long-term. Personally, I find that way of eating to be unsatisfying and much prefer carbohydrate rich meals based on whole grains, legumes or potatoes.
#6 Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Calorie recommendations tend to be general; you, your body, and your activity level may require something different. I'd say in general you don't want to go below 1200 calories a day (at least that's the consensus I seem to have found), but if you're getting less than what's been recommended to you that's not necessarily bad.

According to My Fitness Pal, I should be eating 1500 a day (while trying to lose weight). I told it I'm not very active because I'm a student, I take the train to school twice a week, and I don't have to move a whole lot. I do, however, jog 3x a week, do an hour of yoga once per week, and I'm looking at starting zumba and boot camp once a week each, too. But when I exercise, I don't input it into My Fitness Pal; so it doesn't give me extra calories. I go for 1500-1600-ish per day regardless of whether I worked out that day or not. Sometimes I get more, sometimes I get less, but until I figure out how my body is responding to that amount, I'm not going to fiddle with it.

If you're comfortable with where you are - losing weight at a reasonable pace (not more than 2 lbs per week for most people), feeling good, have energy, etc - then it's probably fine to be under the recommendations. But over the years I have seen 1200 repeated as a calorie number you really need to be meeting. Yes, I have days where I'm under that threshold, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Here's the American College of Sports Medicine's reference to 1200 calorie minimums. Obviously they are only one source (http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media...estyle-changes).

Unless you have a huge amount of weight to lose, 1-2 lbs per week is usually a good guide. And if you have a lot to lose, I think it's common to lose more at first and then have it taper off. So if you have some but not a huge amount to lose and you're dropping it dramatically (especially if you're not feeling good), then you might want to try eating a bit more.
#7 Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarita osita View Post
Calorie recommendations tend to be general; you, your body, and your activity level may require something different. I'd say in general you don't want to go below 1200 calories a day (at least that's the consensus I seem to have found), but if you're getting less than what's been recommended to you that's not necessarily bad.

According to My Fitness Pal, I should be eating 1500 a day (while trying to lose weight). I told it I'm not very active because I'm a student, I take the train to school twice a week, and I don't have to move a whole lot. I do, however, jog 3x a week, do an hour of yoga once per week, and I'm looking at starting zumba and boot camp once a week each, too. But when I exercise, I don't input it into My Fitness Pal; so it doesn't give me extra calories. I go for 1500-1600-ish per day regardless of whether I worked out that day or not. Sometimes I get more, sometimes I get less, but until I figure out how my body is responding to that amount, I'm not going to fiddle with it.

If you're comfortable with where you are - losing weight at a reasonable pace (not more than 2 lbs per week for most people), feeling good, have energy, etc - then it's probably fine to be under the recommendations. But over the years I have seen 1200 repeated as a calorie number you really need to be meeting. Yes, I have days where I'm under that threshold, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Here's the American College of Sports Medicine's reference to 1200 calorie minimums. Obviously they are only one source (http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media...estyle-changes).

Unless you have a huge amount of weight to lose, 1-2 lbs per week is usually a good guide. And if you have a lot to lose, I think it's common to lose more at first and then have it taper off. So if you have some but not a huge amount to lose and you're dropping it dramatically (especially if you're not feeling good), then you might want to try eating a bit more.
i do have quite a bit of weight to lose, 70 lbs to be exact so far i'm losing pretty slowly, but plugging along because i want it to be lasting weight loss, not just a yo-yo weight loss, if that makes sense.

i appreciate everyone's feedback!
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM

I've lost about 120 pounds (so far, I still have more to lose) basically doing a combination of the Engine 2 Diet, Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution, and following Jeff Novick's recommendations. Basically I eat a lot of brown rice and steamed vegetables with some beans or lentils and tofu once in awhile.

Here is Jeff Novick's "Healthy Eating Placemat", which is kinda my guideline.

LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy Verrill View Post
I've lost about 120 pounds (so far, I still have more to lose) basically doing a combination of the Engine 2 Diet, Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution, and following Jeff Novick's recommendations. Basically I eat a lot of brown rice and steamed vegetables with some beans or lentils and tofu once in awhile.

Here is Jeff Novick's "Healthy Eating Placemat", which is kinda my guideline.

awesome thanks for the info!
#10 Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 PM

I do Zumba twice a week, yoga and walk as much as I can. I have about 20kg to lose and I'm getting there slowly. I don't calorie count or do anything super special. I'll have a smoothie with berries, oats and coconut water for breakfast and I make sure that I'm either snacking or having meals every 2-3 hours (my dietician suggested this and it really works!)
I keep my snacks at under 100 cals (no need to count, I just estimate now) and my meals get smaller and smaller as the day progresses until dinner, which is usually a pita pizza or something along those lines then snack and bed!
#11 Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverkitten View Post
I do Zumba twice a week, yoga and walk as much as I can. I have about 20kg to lose and I'm getting there slowly. I don't calorie count or do anything super special. I'll have a smoothie with berries, oats and coconut water for breakfast and I make sure that I'm either snacking or having meals every 2-3 hours (my dietician suggested this and it really works!)
I keep my snacks at under 100 cals (no need to count, I just estimate now) and my meals get smaller and smaller as the day progresses until dinner, which is usually a pita pizza or something along those lines then snack and bed!
Also benefibre with all my meals works
#12 Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

People store fat because they are adapted for an environment where food is hard to come by. Instead of thinking in terms of lose weight, you have to think in terms of use fat energy. The best way to do this is to go through occasional fasts. Fasts can be as simple as skipping lunch. I eat a lot of fibre. I eat non processed food. I eat low fat bulky food, like beans. I try not to drink calories. I stay away from HFCS and sugar. My job is fairly active so I really don't go out of my way to do exersise. I think exersise is great for toning muscle, but it has nothing to do with losing weight.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
#13 Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
just curious about what you're doing to actively lose weight (if you are)? i was previously following weight watchers, but then read "eat to live" and decided to quit "counting" everything (which makes me a bit obsessive) and just focus on eating a lot of veggies/ fruits/ nuts/ seeds and cut out most processed stuff.

old habits die hard i suppose. i am tracking stuff in my fitness pal (MFP) which is a free calorie counting website.

i am finding that by following a vegan diet, without a lot of processed garbage, i am falling below the recommended calorie range.

i guess the QOTD is = is this ok? i am quite overweight, and really need to lose a bunch, and have started exercising, and being mindful about what i am eating. is it absolutely necessary to meet a minimum of calories per day if i am eating an abundance of produce and feeling satisfied?

thanks for listening i know that was long
When I really had a set goal to lose weight a few months ago, I did count my calories for a while and I found that all I was doing was stressing myself out. I stopped counting calories and I continued to eat how I was eating before counting my calories: a balanced diet full of vegetables and fruits. I workout basically everyday (cardio and strength training) and I do yoga everyday for almost two hours if not more (although I don't do yoga to lose weight or get in shape).
#14 Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
i do have quite a bit of weight to lose, 70 lbs to be exact so far i'm losing pretty slowly, but plugging along because i want it to be lasting weight loss, not just a yo-yo weight loss, if that makes sense.

i appreciate everyone's feedback!
That's funny, I lost exactly 70 lbs after going vegan. I needed to lose the weight, but I didn't focus on it.

I just focused on my health and ate whole, mostly unprocessed foods. I also made sure to get some exercise, but nothing extreme. If I was genuinely hungry, I ate. If I couldn't really say I was hungry, I drank tea just to have some kind of flavor with added benefits.

Don't worry about the calories recommended on MFP. As long as you're getting around 1200 calories and you're not hungry, you're getting enough. Listen to your body.
#15 Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I just read a great book by Leslie Beck that is an exchange type of program specifically for vegans. I am on my second week and so far am enjoying it. I find it easier to simply eyeball portion sizes than to write down every tiny thing, and I like that there are quotas for protein servings, healthy fats and so on because I do tend to eat too many carbs and snacky foods otherwise.

I used a program like this once when I was am omni and it really restricted carbs. I like that since this book was written for vegans, she allows that you will eat carbs and designs the program around this. She also allows some flexibility (for example you can trade one fruit for an extra carb; I have digestion issues when I eat too much fruit, and I like to have rice milk with my breakfast because it is fortified, so this works for me). I have been eating more vegetables and have replaced the non-food veggie chips with sunflower seeds, hummus and healthy fat servings.

So far, so good, but I only just started...
#16 Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

ETL is what started my whole veg*/WFPB journey so I owe a lot to it, I lost the 20 lbs I needed to lose on it initially. I read a lot more books in the couple years since then and have now settled on something in between ETL and the McDougall plan. I do try to get a big variety of veggies/ "G-BOMBS" in each day and try to eat salad regularly, but I also allow myself to eat a small portion of starchy veggies/ breads/ rice etc with each meal to keep my energy, fullness and happiness with my diet up. I do eat some nuts and avocados, but mostly just a very small amount to add richness to sauces, soups or spreads (think a 1/4 cup of walnuts in a spread that will make 4+ sandwiches). My weight has stabilized at just a little above what my lowest weight on ETL was, which is still slim and healthy, and I have energy and enjoyment with the way I eat, and have never counted calories. So that is what I do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page