April Challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys! I'm a little late to the game but here's your April challenge, for anyone who wants!

This is the place to post health-related (or other, I suppose) goals and give/get advice, comments, support, etc.

Happy Spring! Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, in which case Winter Is Coming (I've been watching too much Game of Thrones).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

So I lost about 18 pounds as of the end of last month! That's fantastic (and spreads from mid-December-ish). I've got a lot more to go, though. My goals for this month are:

-No more than 5 soda-drinking days.
-Lots of water
-Schedule exercise in, and in ADDITION to dog-walking
-Get back on a bedtime schedule
-Do hip stretches twice a day

I got diagnosed with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction last month, which is inflammation in the joints where your lower spine (sacrum) and hips connect. The doctor thought it might have to do with the way I walk, since it's usually from an injury but can sometimes be wear and tear (no injury, but I've danced my whole life and am flat-footed but rarely buy shoes with good arch support). So I was great about doing the stretches until the pain went away, and... I really need to keep doing them just in case! They might not keep it from coming back, but at least I can keep the joints somewhat stretched so hopefully it'll hurt less if/when it does flare up again someday (and hopefully, of course, it won't). I had better get myself some better shoes and focus on those arches.
#3 Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Oooh, I want to play!

My goals for the rest of this month:

-Drink a glass of water upon waking.

-Figure out a normal sleeping schedule...staying up late and getting up early just doesn't seem to be the best choice...'tis tragic when you love both day and night.

-Now that the weather is nice run and bike.  *no more snow, no more snow...fingers crossed*

-Spend less time online

Good luck, Clarita, and congrats on the 18!  Hope you've found some awesome new shoes. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

So I lost about 18 pounds as of the end of last month! That's fantastic (and spreads from mid-December-ish). I've got a lot more to go, though. My goals for this month are:

-Lots of water

I got diagnosed with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction last month, which is inflammation in the joints where your lower spine (sacrum) and hips connect. The doctor thought it might have to do with the way I walk, since it's usually from an injury but can sometimes be wear and tear (no injury, but I've danced my whole life and am flat-footed but rarely buy shoes with good arch support). So I was great about doing the stretches until the pain went away, and... I really need to keep doing them just in case! They might not keep it from coming back, but at least I can keep the joints somewhat stretched so hopefully it'll hurt less if/when it does flare up again someday (and hopefully, of course, it won't). I had better get myself some better shoes and focus on those arches.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I have been losing weight and getting healthier slowly as well, I've lost about 15 pounds since December so we're almost weight loss twins! tongue3.gif

Sorry to hear about your joint dysfunction though, stretching is definitely a good idea.

My goals for this month are simply to keep losing weight in a healthy way and to avoid the random junk food binges I seem to go on about every two weeks, it's hard to get healthier when you keep succumbing to sweets and undoing all your progress. I need to keep more fresh fruit around the house for when the cravings hit, cookies taste good but strawberries are pretty great too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

I'm down 8 lbs in three weeks as of last Sunday, so there's that.

Late in the month to post them (I'm on Sparkpeople as well), but here are/were my goals for April:

-Exercise 45min/day 5 days a week.

-Stay within my recommended calorie ranges at least 80% of the time.

-Reduce processed food out of my diet even more.

-Plan healthy munchie foods into my caloric intake each day so that my meds don't derail me.

-Keep taking my thyroid medication EVERY DAY before breakfast.

-Slowly continue to find alternatives to dairy to deal with my casein intolerance. (No, it's not lactose, it's casein, which is why I basically can't have low fat dairy products. Also I love soymilk! Have yet to find a vegan cheese I really like though).

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Aliakai - have you tried Daiya cheese? To be honest I think it might be US-only and I don't know where you are. But it's way better than other vegan cheeses I've tried. Also, great job on the 8lbs!

Werewolf Girl - 15lbs is awesome! I've probably gained a couple pounds back so we're at about the same place anyway, haha.

I haven't been great about any of my goals. I'm super stressed about finishing my classes so I can start grad school in September (I'm accepted on the condition I do well in my two current classes and two over the summer). Also having trouble getting registered for my summer classes, waiting for my husband to find a job so we can move over there, getting my healthcare junk figured out (we applied in December and it STILL hasn't processed! I guess some paperwork got lost somewhere, ugh). Too many things going on, which is exactly why i need to be exercising to stay calm. But I'm not doing it because I'm too agitated! Hah.

I think my OCD is starting to come back bad, too, and exercise is my best option to deal with it right now. I really need to get on that. I've exercised a few times beyond dog walks, but not regularly or enough. Time to start!
Aliakai likes this.
#7 Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 AM

I am trying too loos 12 pounds in this April. Already i loss 5 pounds so i think i can reach upto 10 pounds. What about others? How much is your target?

#8 Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Mukit, I don't have a specific goal for this month. Life has been crazy lately. My overall goal is about 50lbs, and I've already lost 18. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#9 Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM

I haven't been on VB in a really long time, but I am in need of some support. I recently moved from FL to CA in July. Since then, the person I moved to help out has betrayed and abandoned me. I've been depressed and my finances are a mess because of the move. 

Right before I left FL, I was biking 20 - 40 miles on the weekend, I ran a 5k, and I was down to 220 lbs. Now, I've ballooned up to 250 lbs, and I never exercise. When I get on the treadmill, it just feels impossible to complete even the first workout in couch to 5k. 

My goal is to get back on track by walking more and working up to the 5k workouts again. I really wish I had my bike or funds to buy another.

Specific goal: Exercise 4 days a week.  

#10 Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Greendaygirl - I'm sorry things are so bad right now! But getting back to exercising WILL help you feel better. 4x a week is a great goal. And even if you can't do something "basic," like starting the Couch to 5k, so what? Anything is better than nothing, right? Walk around the block, and jog for 30 seconds every now and then. It may seem like very little, but it's a start!
#11 Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

So, my mom and i are going to challenge each other to see who can lose weight first. We haven't decided on how much (20lbs is her goal, and I've got 30 more to mine). But we can't come up with a good prize for the winner. We'll be living on different sides of the country and I probably won't have money to buy anything, so... suggestions? We'll be in different states so no cooking, no spending time together, etc. Ideas?
#12 Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

So, my mom and i are going to challenge each other to see who can lose weight first. We haven't decided on how much (20lbs is her goal, and I've got 30 more to mine). But we can't come up with a good prize for the winner. We'll be living on different sides of the country and I probably won't have money to buy anything, so... suggestions? We'll be in different states so no cooking, no spending time together, etc. Ideas?

It's great that you guys want to support each other, but in my experience at least, each person loses weight at a different rate, even if they're related. Maybe you can challenge each other on who sticks the best to your goals each day?

Especially when you consider that scale weight can fluctuate by up to 10 lbs a day depending on the weight of food in your gut and water retained during time of the month, salty foods consumed, stress levels, etc.

I suggest sparkpeople.com. If you make your food tracking/exercise tracking public, you can keep track of each other's progress. Plus it helps you figure out appropriate calorie ranges, AND there are tons of awesome nutrition articles. They have a thriving vegetarian community and great supportive forums. It's all free!

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, honestly we'll for sure lose at different rates. But I'm mainly challenging her as a way to get her to actually get back into gear (and myself to a lesser degree). She's been gaining and losing this same 20 lbs for years. She gets on Weight Watchers but she never commits to it as a long-term lifestyle. We just thought it would be fun to see who could get to a certain (undecided) point first. I'll keep that in mind, though, thanks.
#14 Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok so we're gonna challenge each other to see who gets to certain weight loss percentages first. She wants to lose 12.5% of her body weight, and I want to lose 23.5% (oh dear god). And the winner gets... satisfaction? Haha. Of course that's the point, but we thought some actual prize would be fun - never came up with anything, though.

I realize we'll lose at different weights, but the point of this is just to get each other moving. I have an easier time with that than she does. We're going to the gym when she gets off work today, so that'll be good.
#15 Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Alright well it's May now, so I'll start the May thread for anyone who is interested.

My goals for April were:
-Lots of water

-I had soda (of varying amounts) on 10 days, so not great but not terrible. And some of those days were only a couple sips, so.
-Did a bit better staying hydrated
-More exercise, though the last few days I haven't had time. This is my little break right now, but I only slept 2 hours (up all night doing homework/packing for a move), so exercise isn't happening right now!
-Doing a bit better at a bedtime schedule
-Didn't do the hip stretches twice a day, but more often than I had been.

Hope you guys had some successes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page