Weight isn't coming off...this is crap! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so mad right now! every time I step on the scale I'm disappointed. I only weigh myself about 1-2 times a week because I know I'll drive myself crazy if I weigh in more often than that.

Back story: I used to be a size 4/6. I lost a ton of weight after going vegan initially. All weight I'd packed on after having kids and eating a standard american diet (pregnancy and fatty foods don't mix!). So I was back into a wonderful size for me. I'm a shorty....not even 5'2" so a size 4 is not very thin at all. My BMI was like 24.5 or something like that. But I was happy.

Anyway, I got sick with Ulcerative Colitis. Which is also crap. But it runs in my family so whatever. Diet changes, lots of meds. 3 months of steroid HELL. Gained 30 lbs from that alone. Gained another 30 lbs just from diet. I was waffling between eating and ending up on elemental formula. When I could eat I'd STUFF myself. And you'd think you'd LOSE weight on elemental formula....no. This is the crap they give sickly people to help them put weight on....except that's not the problem I had. Plus I had to add nesquick to it to make it palatable. *gag*

I'm back on a vegan diet. My wonderful, healthy, vegetable-rich vegan diet. And my weight is just staying here at 181 lbs on my little petite frame. I'm so sad. sad.gif

I'm still on a bunch of meds. Maybe the steroids are still trying to work themselves out of my system...I don't know. I've been fairly active. I've been working in the yard a lot. Building our fence, pulling weeds, etc. I went to my parents' on Sunday and ran around their woods all day gathering plants to eat. I'm still sore from that. LOL

I also started Adderall so you'd think that would give me a boost in the weight loss department but it hasn't. I can't complain though, because it IS helping the problem I'm taking it for!

And no, it's not that I'm building muscle and losing fat. My jeans are as snug as ever. *whines* When I went vegan years ago the weight just FELL off. I'm sitting here drinking a smoothie thinking "what's the POINT!?" I could go eat that yummy Biscoff spread in my cupboard and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I don't really have an answer for you as to what's going on, but if I were you the first thing I would do is to try to keep track of everything I eat on a site like nutritiondata. If you spend more calories than you take in it's physically impossible not to loose weight, although the amount of calories you take in vs spend also depends of how efficient your metabolism is (the more efficient it is, the harder it is to lose weight). In any case, good luck and don't give up!

Link: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

#3 Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

That's why I'm wondering if the steroids are lingering. There's no way I'm eating enough to sustain an extra 60 lbs on my frame. Steroids make your body hang on to EVERY SINGLE CALORIE like you are starving to death or something. At least I'm not gaining anymore. Heh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 AM

I feel you.  I have made significant dietary changes, and the weight is not coming off as quickly as I would like.  

I wonder if some sort of detox would help get the steroids out of your system?  I would google "detox" diet or "steroid detox" and see if there's any sort of juice fast or protocol that will clear that stuff out of your system.

#5 Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know. Raw juice is one of those things that is likely to irritate my U/C. I don't want to throw myself into another flare. I'd be be better off on some kind of water fast or other liquid fast. I don't know. I think fasting is the most miserable thing in the world. LOL

#6 Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Hello! I am so sorry to hear what you are going through! I can relate, since I am only 5'1" and all my life I was a stick until I was put on a steroid regime for a few months for a skin issue I was having. I blew up! And honestly my weight has been an issue ever since, I wish I was never on a steroid! That being said, I have gained and lost over the years and currently I need to lose about 30lbs of weight I gained while pregnant. Before I was pregnant I managed to get myself down from around 160 to 110.  And I'm little too so that is no way underweight. My advice is to just stick to your vegan diet, but please limit fat (only consume good stuff like avocado and nuts, in moderation) and absolutely eliminate processed foods and sugar. I don't even eat much fruit at all.  Avoid carbs at least one meal a day. Continue to be active and the weight should slowly come off.  I also avoided gluten as it can be an allergen.  I think you should have a goal to get down to the absolute minumum dose of steroids, if not off them. Diet CAN help heal you and manage your medical condition. Please let your doctor know you can't stay on these meds forever.  Plus they are horrible for your liver and the like.  I honestly had to be off my meds, especially steroids for a couple of months to just get them out of my system. That meant dealing with some awful outbreaks of my skin condition and being absolutely miserable. But while I was doing that I did a hardcore detox of just vegetables, water, probiotics to help my digestive system, no sugar or grain. And after about 4 weeks my condition improved more than it ever did wth those meds, and I was able to start losing weight.  It can and will happen for you,  I wish you so much luck! But I will tell you that it may get a little worse before it gets better but there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

#7 Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Well, I don't really have an answer for you as to what's going on, but if I were you the first thing I would do is to try to keep track of everything I eat on a site like nutritiondata. If you spend more calories than you take in it's physically impossible not to loose weight, although the amount of calories you take in vs spend also depends of how efficient your metabolism is (the more efficient it is, the harder it is to lose weight). In any case, good luck and don't give up!

Link: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I agree. Every time I actually take the time to write down every single calorie I find that I've been eating lots of sneaky calories. There's a huge difference between a real serving and an eyeball serving. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Also, even if your diet is healthy and nutrient rich doesn't mean it's not high in calories. For example, I work at whole foods....people suck down smoothies as snacks, as a normal "drink", etc. Ofcourse a smoothie is healthy, but it's also adding sneaky, unnecessary calories to your diet. This is just an example I have no idea how, when, or why you drink your smoothies, haha smiley.gif
#9 Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 AM

Gosh, that is so frustrating, I feel your pain, Shauna!

Everyone has made great suggestions, and I agree with them all! I also wanted to suggest regular exercise.  Sporadic exercise is good, but regular exercise is helpful, too.  For example, I walk 40 mins Monday to Friday (to get to the train station, it isn't some kind of "enjoying it" thing laugh.gif ...though to be honest, I do enjoy it now, when it isn't raining or blowing a gale), and I have found that to be a huge contributor to feeling better about the way I look.  I have lost weight and I think this exercise has supported that, and I also feel better...less gasping for breath, struggling up hills!

So that's my suggestion.  Keep up the good work doing gardening and whatnot, track what you're eating as suggested by the others, and add in some regular exercise.  

If you are concerned, don't be afraid to ask your doctor what he/she thinks might be going on.  Always best to check :)

Good luck!

#10 Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Also, in addition to walking try and fit some cardio in there to get your heart pumpin' and burns a lot of calories :)

I know we all get busy and it's difficult to workout, but just try and squeeze in a little cardio and strength training. I know how it is I'm on my feet all day at work and going to the gym is the last thing I want to do after a long shift!

#11 Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I was gaining so much weight and could not figure out why. I spoke with a nutritionist who said I needed to eliminate soy from my diet. I figured what would I have to lose but the weight and it worked! I know many are not a big fan of water fasting however I did it for 7 days with a slice of lemon in my glasses all day and night , after the third day it was easier smiley.gif I still took my vitamins and supplements and my body went into a cleanse and detox mode. I added organic fruits to break my fast also stayed clear from vegan foods trying to be what they are not eg . mock chix nuggets, mock deli slices and cheese. I eat only fruits,vegetables,legumes and whole grains like quinoa, I also eat nuts raw and raisins for my sweet tooth. I use organic olive oil and drink almond milk and most important read labels even some teas contain soy! I also use less salt and drink plenty of water. I mediate and do yoga and I am a neat freak so housecleaning counts to burn those extra calories smiley.gif I wish you the best in losing weight and look forward to hearing some progress from it for you ! smiley.gif
#12 Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I was gaining so much weight and could not figure out why. I spoke with a nutritionist who said I needed to eliminate soy from my diet. I figured what would I have to lose but the weight and it worked! I know many are not a big fan of water fasting however I did it for 7 days with a slice of lemon in my glasses all day and night , after the third day it was easier smiley.gif I still took my vitamins and supplements and my body went into a cleanse and detox mode. I added organic fruits to break my fast also stayed clear from vegan foods trying to be what they are not eg . mock chix nuggets, mock deli slices and cheese. I eat only fruits,vegetables,legumes and whole grains like quinoa, I also eat nuts raw and raisins for my sweet tooth. I use organic olive oil and drink almond milk and most important read labels even some teas contain soy! I also use less salt and drink plenty of water. I mediate and do yoga and I am a neat freak so housecleaning counts to burn those extra calories smiley.gif I wish you the best in losing weight and look forward to hearing some progress from it for you ! smiley.gif

Just wondering--did you try a whole food approach before eliminating all soy?

Unless you're particularly sensitive I bet adding some tofu, tempeh, edaname or soymilk wouldn't affect your weight at all.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I did not do a whole food approach however, after I lost so much weight I limit soy products to tempeh. Only feremented soy if any in my diet .... I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks and I feel great oh, and I added organic maca to my morning smoothies smiley.gif The first thing also that I do now is drink water a full glass upon rising to hydrate my cells. I am not allergic to soy I just eliminated unfermented soy from my diet, as suggested. I also am not blaming soy in any means for my weight gain, I am just restating what I was told by my nutritionist ....
#14 Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 AM

First of all you have to take exercise at early in the morning, it's a good way of loosing weight. Otherside you should eliminate fat cookies from your daily meal. Go for a walk. If you like to play games then play footbal and such types of games. 

#15 Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM

How I lost 25 PDs and am still on a roll, veg style: excercise 6 days out of the week, at least 30 monutes(1 hr is better). Try to do cardio 5 days, 30 mins. Limit fats like cheese, try to avoid then and if you eat dairy make it all lowfat like 1%. Also, restrict calories to 1400 a day! You should lose 2-3 PDs a week this way. Good things to add are a multivitamin(I like alive), and a good source of omegas like ala, dha, or EPA(I take flax regularly, was recommended by friend and personal trainer to do a dha-EPA). Ovega-3 is a good dha EPA supplement, I've ordered some and hope to try it soon, though not really necessary I'm going to take it for depression smiley.gif
#16 Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Also if you cant last 30 mins break it up into 15 mins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page