I finally transitioned Family to Vegan - Coach tells son he has to gain weight - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Hey all,

its been a quite some journey, but after the economic down turn, our family turned more vegan than ever. I was always vegan, but I never was super strict with the family when it came to cooking their meals. And when I could, besides dinner, all meals are either vegan, or raw, if I can help it.

But when we were really penny pinched, I stopped buying meat all together out of necessity. The men in the family lost 20 pounds off their gut, including my son, who is really skinny, but always complained about his gut.

After we went vegan, it disappeared. He is an athlete too. Very tall, and now we think he may even make it to 7 feet.

Coach is telling him he needs more red meat, blah blah blah. I broke down and purchased organic eggs so he could that in the morning, instead of just a shake, and have been making more casseroles, etc.

I havent been hyper vigilant about food combining, but now I think its essential since both of my kids are going through growth spirts. The more I understand, the more creative I can get with keeping them vegan, (at least at home).

Since reintroducing meat to our family, for the first time, we all got the flu. My son ended up in the hospital for it, (swollen glands, and he had trouble swallowing and breathing).

That website Nutritiondata has good information about complete proteins, but very little about foods that are vegan, (ie, Seitan, wheat berries, etc)

I understand that my son probably needs more than a raw food diet if he is going to put on weight, (since most raw food you dont really absorb). He is really lean. Very strong, but if he is going to be in the gym every day, I just want to make sure he is getting the full spectrum of proteins and amino acids for all that work he is doing in the gym.

Long story short, here is my question... What is the best source for understanding getting a complete spectrum of protein? I know when you are vegetarian its especially important to combine foods the right way to avoid nutritional deficiencies.

I know bee pollen has all the amino acids too, he puts that on his peanut butter jelly sandwhiches. Any other tips and tricks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

He needs more calories.  Try nuts, seeds, avocadoes, coconuts, more fatty foods.  Make sure he eats plenty of leafy green vegetables.  In addition to amino acids, they provide many vitamins and minerals.  :)

#3 Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM

If he gets calories, he is going to get protein. I would guess he needs about 5000 calories a day smiley.gif. There is a great site for vegan fitness. I can't remember the name now though. I will look later.

He can pack smoothies in a god thermos with a little ice. We have several we like....

Chocolate hemp protein powder, nut butter, banana and favorite milk.

Kale, frozen mango, carrots, chia seeds, banana, water to cover.

Banana, strawberry, raw oats, protein powder if you want, flax or chia if you want, avocado, and milk of choice.

Canned coconut milk is loaded with calories and might be helpful. It works great in baked goods to keep muffins and banana bread moist.

Trail mix is full of calories and easy to carry everywhere.

Tempeh and Tofu can be marinated and kept for sandwiches and stir fries.

Pasta salad with lots of beans and olives.

If everyone is having sandwiches/burgers he should have 2 or 3.

I have one kid who has a high metabolism. These are things he likes.

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ is the site I think smiley.gif.

Tell him to say hey Coach knock it off. Coaches are suppose to support and get us pumped up!!!

If he does sports and goes places he probably needs a good cooler and something like vega that he can shake up when he is out and needs something.

to 4 kids ages 13-1
#5 Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you!! You guys Rock!!! Yes, we have Vega, and he has a hard time getting it down.. (really dont know what that is all about.. I originally found this forum because all of a sudden, i could get down avocados!!).

Definitely, will incorporate your suggestions, and thank you, thank you..

#6 Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Has he tried throwing some ice in the blender with the vega (and whatever liquid he uses). The ice can sometimes make protein powder type stuff more palatable.

to 4 kids ages 13-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page