Beans as breakfast? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Im wondering can it be a good idea and healthy if i reverse my breakfast and dinner with beans with vegetables as breakfast and a bowl of milk with organic cereals oatmeal with milk as evening meal?

I have trouble when coming back from work stressed eating those boring beans and instead find myself grabbing something unhealthy with lots of sugar instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

beans are great any time of day.

i eat bean burritos for breakfast often, also lentils and brown rice, hummus and potatoes, and sometimes whatevers left over from dinner the night before.

if you are coming home from work famished maybe think of adding in an extra snack during the day like some fruit or crackers.

#3 Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Beans are always good! Who cares about the rules, you can have pizza for breakfast if you really want to tongue3.gif

Do you pretty much eat the same meals every day though? That DOES sound a bit boring, I'd want to switch things up more too. There are thousands of delicious veg recipes out there that are simple to make, have you ever looked at the recipes on Vegweb? I highly recommend it, loads of great ideas: http://vegweb.com/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawx79 View Post

Im wondering can it be a good idea and healthy if i reverse my breakfast and dinner with beans with vegetables as breakfast and a bowl of milk with organic cereals oatmeal with milk as evening meal?

There's nothing magical about "breakfast food" and "dinner food" such that it must be eaten at a specified time of day or meal :)

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM

I was always told that breakfast is the most important meal if the day and should be your biggest.
You should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper xxx
#6 Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Beans for breakfast?

I've been looking at Macrobiotics where grain and pulse breakfasts are pretty normal. So I'd say yeah, give it a go. But try to make it tasty so you can get it down. Morning tummies aren't too yeilding - or at least so I find.

Cook up a good bowl of rice and beans and keep them in the fridge for breakfast. Steamed veggies in the morning shouldn't be too much trouble if you prep. & chill last thing at night.

Try making up Gomasio for seasoning: http://www.elanaspantry.com/gomasio/

See how you fare.

And while I'm on the subject of Macrobiotics, don't forget Miso soup for breakfast! I always found Miso a bit "challenging" but I love it now. Miso broth with cubed tofu & sea vegetables makes a lovely breakfast bowl.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#7 Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 AM

The foods we typically eat for breakfast are only "breakfast foods" because that's what our culture has defined them as. Different cultures have their own traditional fare. There is nothing biologically that says eating what your cultures deems as breakfast or not breakfast food at other times of the day is wrong. As long as your overall diet throughout the day is nutritionally balanced, that's the important bit.

#8 Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Beans for breakfast?   I've been looking at Macrobiotics where grain and pulse breakfasts are pretty normal. So I'd say yeah, give it a go. But try to make it tasty so you can get it down. Morning tummies aren't too yeilding - or at least so I find.   Cook up a good bowl of rice and beans and keep them in the fridge for breakfast. Steamed veggies in the morning shouldn't be too much trouble if you prep. & chill last thing at night.   Try making up Gomasio for seasoning: http://www.elanaspantry.com/gomasio/ See how you fare.   And while I'm on the subject of Macrobiotics, don't forget Miso soup for breakfast! I always found Miso a bit "challenging" but I love it now. Miso broth with cubed tofu & sea vegetables makes a lovely breakfast bowl.
Oh, that Gomasio looks yummy and so easy! smiley.gif And yes to beans for breakfast! I'm always hungry when I wake up and eat dinner leftovers quite often. smiley.gif
#9 Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Potatotarian

My grandpa told me that while he was in the navy, they ate beans for breakfast.  He said it was strange at first, but turned out to be a great fuel to start the day.

#10 Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

People always think I'm crazy for eating leftovers for breakfast.  Pasta?  Rice and beans?  Pizza?  I am CRAZY!  tongue3.gif  

Beans are a great source of protein and I think they would be a great way to start your day!  Give you that fuel to get moving!

I actually googled "beans for breakfast" earlier today, ha!  I believe in Europe they commonly have beans and toast for breakfast- similar to our baked beans.  I'm going to try it!

#11 Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

As others have said, nothing wrong with beans in the am! I usually have a really big breakfast, but then again, I have a large appetite 24/7 tongue3.gif

I usually make a large pot of stew/chili/bean soup and keep it in the fridge. Whenever I want some, I only have to heat some of it in the microwave and I'm good to go! 5 minutes and breakfast is on the table. I've also been known to eat desserts like chocolate-banana shakes for breakfast smitten.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page