Tempeh tummy trouble? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi folks!
So I've recently discovered tempeh but it seems to give me horrible stomach pains. Since I eat tofu and soy products sans negative results, it can't be the soy bean aspect?! Are some methods of cooking it or some kinds ( are there even kinds ? ) more stomach friendly than others? Sad discovery since it's actually 'meant' to be very stomach friendly indeed!
Does it make anybody else sick ?
( I don't think it's what I've been cooking it with, as that's varied. It may not be tempeh at all considering I'm basing this on two attempts , yet I'm a bit wary to try again.. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh is soy fermented with a special fungus, so it could be the fungus that you're reacting to.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

are you simmering it first for about 15 minutes? I actually don't like it unless it is. Can't say it has given me problems, but if you aren't, I'd give that a try....that way, it's already been cooked for 15 minutes prior to whatever else you're going to do with it.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

ooooo thanks!!!
#5 Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Tempeh is one thing that does not give me horrible stomach pains, but it does makes me unbelievably nauseous.
#6 Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh disagrees with me, and other soy products do not. It doesn't matter if I boil it or steam it. It still gives me bad indigestion.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM

I usually eat my tempeh by splitting it half for tomorrow

Marinate it with little soy sauce for a while then steam it, at one time i even bake it in oven.. so yummy
#8 Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Tempeh is soy fermented with a special fungus, so it could be the fungus that you're reacting to.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have recently been unable to consume anything fermented or containing probiotics for the same reason. I was going heavy on raw sauerkraut and tempeh for a few weeks until stomach pains sent me to a gastoenterologist. At the time I didnt make the connection because I had eaten both of these at various times, but I really over did it and that's just me, I'm sure others are even more sensitive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page