Searching for Soy Free, Low Carb High Protein Meat Substitute - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

I have recently been diagnosed with Type I Diabetes, and am looking for a Vegetarian Soy Free, Low Carb, High Protein meat substitute. I am not vegetarian by option, but since moving to the USA all meat causes incredible hormonal problems for me.
I am very new to the Low Carb/High Protein diet and am looking for any suggestions.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

what do you consider "low carb" and "high protein"?

sadly, all of the foods that are healthy for you are going to have a combo of both, like green leafy vegetables.
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

why soy free? Do you have an allergy, or is it personal choice? If it's personal choice, do you mind sharing why?

who is asking you to follow this type of diet, as most vegetarian/vegan nutritionists/RDs wouldn't suggest it.....care to share a little more? The Atkins style of high protein/low carb has been debunked for safety issues, even though you wouldn't be eating meat.

I'm curious as to your statement about the hormone imbalances eating meat here in the US too!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

why soy free? Do you have an allergy, or is it personal choice? If it's personal choice, do you mind sharing why?

who is asking you to follow this type of diet, as most vegetarian/vegan nutritionists/RDs wouldn't suggest it.....care to share a little more? The Atkins style of high protein/low carb has been debunked for safety issues, even though you wouldn't be eating meat.

I'm curious as to your statement about the hormone imbalances eating meat here in the US too!

It is definitely not a lifestyle choice to avoid soy and meat. Being lactose intolerant I switched to soy milk when I first arrived in the US almost 6 years ago (I must say that before relocating to The US I had lived in the UK, France and the Caribbean, where I enjoyed all foods. I was an avid meat eater, and cheese ESP Brie and goats cheese were favourites). For about six months after arriving here my breasts became huge an incredibly tender, and my water retention was horrific. I had numerous tests - and after illuminating everything that might be the cause of the swelling and discomfort, and trying what I thought might be the cause I discovered that coffee, soy and all meats caused the problem. It's peculiar because during visits to my parents in France I am still able to enjoy meat with no I'll effects although coffee and cheese are still off the menu.
My Dr has diagnosed me with Diabetes I. It also runs in my Family. I am familiar with the Atkins Diet - I tried a similar diet years ago in the UK for health reasons and found that I craved like crazy. It wasn't a pleasant experience.
It seems the older I get the more foods upset me. I love food, and am hoping to hear from anyone in a similar situation who could hopefully share their story and perhaps suggest alternatives to meat that are 'safe' for a type 1 diabetic.
#5 Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I appologize for asking, but are you female? Nothing about the hormones in our meat here would surprise me at all! If you weren't really adverse to soy, I'd recommend tempeh or tofu vs the fake burger stuff,
but how about making your own seitan, made out of vital wheat gluten? It is soy free, has a high protein count, and then there are beans, and lentils which are also high in protein. If you follow a varied veg diet, it will help your diabetes, but if your body isn't manufacturing insulin, at least you will still be doing it a great justice~ stay away from the processed foods, and simple refined sugar products. Try to eat whole grain foods instead of white floured foods.

If you eat all of the colors of the rainbow, you'll be getting plenty of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#6 Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I appologize for asking, but are you female? Nothing about the hormones in our meat here would surprise me at all! If you weren't really adverse to soy, I'd recommend tempeh or tofu vs the fake burger stuff,
but how about making your own seitan, made out of vital wheat gluten? It is soy free, has a high protein count, and then there are beans, and lentils which are also high in protein. If you follow a varied veg diet, it will help your diabetes, but if your body isn't manufacturing insulin, at least you will still be doing it a great justice~ stay away from the processed foods, and simple refined sugar products. Try to eat whole grain foods instead of white floured foods.

If you eat all of the colors of the rainbow, you'll be getting plenty of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.

Yes I am female. Thanks so much for your suggestions

There is a huge waiting list to see a nutritionist, and I really wanted to get some info together as to what I could eat. Every time I seem to have an intolerance I ask myself what it is actually safe to eat without causing more harm to my system. My diet has become very boring and limited, but I am trying to keep upbeat and positive. Thanks again
#7 Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

are you taking insulin? How many times a day?

I love Google for searches, and I thought you might want to look through some of the info.......http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&rlz=1I7ACGW

I'd also recommend getting your hands on the book The China Study, as Dr Campbell addresses type 1 diabetes in his book.

#8 Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Earthling has Type 1 diabetes, I highly recommend asking her I'm not sure if she'll see this thread on her own. While I know a bit about diabetes, I think it's best to ask someone who's going through it now.
#9 Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

You can make soy-free seitan, or peanut or sesame seed tofu. I think that Quorn is soy-free - it's got eggs though, so, not vegan.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM

In a word.....quinoa.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#11 Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^^ yeah, that too!

#12 Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I Would do some research about plant based diets and diabetes. my dad has diabetes and recently went vegetarian and got me into it. I have read that eating vegetarian can reverse diabetes. I have also read you can have a ton of carbs if the right ones. I read about the 80/10/10 diet, which is not for me, but they even say it is good for diabetics. It seems every doctor has a different opinion, but I don't think you can go wrong with lots of veggies.
#13 Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjustagirl View Post

In a word.....quinoa.

is not low-carb.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#14 Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

is not low-carb.

but it's the healthiest protein out there~ and it has lots of fiber, so the carb issue really isn't much of one! say SUPERFOOD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page